MatteForge Filament anyone?

deepshots

• 3 months later...
Posted · MatteForge Filament anyone?

Hi Deepshot,

I am printing with it and only tried white at this point, i also have black, grey, red and blue.

The results are great, because there is less reflection of light because it is matt the lines are less visible :+1:

The only issue I find is that the lines that are printing are sometimes not connecting, usually where they are intersecting when printing the infill, and found that the problem lies with the feeder. Speed setting is at 50mm which I use for almost all my PLAs 

It's quite a soft PLA and the feeder is not feeding enough material which I tested and when it should feed 20 cm, it only gave me about 17.5 cms of material, tested it with colorfabb PLA/PHA which did give me 20cms of material.

The solution for me is to print slower and I will change the feeder as I have another 10kg of this stuff which increases the overall print time considerably.;)

• 6 months later...

I've had mixed results with it, I bought some 1.75mm by accident and using it on my CR-10.

It indicates "195 is ideal" but my prints at that temperature show poor adhesion....you can rip the piece apart with ease.

I had tried higher temps but overhangs suffered as a result.

The areas it prints well look nice, no "shine" we're used to with regular filaments

I'm trying 205C this time...perhaps that will be a good balance of strength and able to do overhangs well.

Your temp setting depends on your speed setting. And never had issue with layer bonding. After bondtech extruder I did a print at 65mm/s with 0.25 layer height at 220 degrees Celsius. I love the stuff now but only after the upgraded extruder but that was the machine not the PLA.

Printing at 60 mm/s and 0.10 layer height

The cat model came out great.  But printing a piece for another printer, it really failed badly.

Trying again at a warmer temp (205)   I'll report back in 5 hours!

I would first start with 50mm/s at 205 and build up speed from there on. 

It's pretty flexible filament so normal temp and speed settings compared to less flexy PLA does not work.

If you can adjust the extruder to put a little more pressure on the filament.

205 definitely came out much better.  

I concur slowing the speed down will help with overhangs and more complicated objects

Glad it improved, as it really is a good filament, if you find the small sweet spot.

anybody still using this filament?

i REALLY like the look of it but layer adhesion is far inferior to normal PLA. 

Is 220 mentioned above really a good printing temp?

I tired it back when it was kickstarter and the stuff sticks and eats into glass build beds so keep that in mind, it had taken lumps out of the glass bed on one my flashforge printers when i used it.

I've been using it on a few machines (Geeetech A10, CR-10S and FT-6)  and printing on PEI/springsteel surfaces or polypropelene ones.

I found doing an extrusion multiplier test to fine tune the extrusion was very helpful  (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2490893)

I was a bit close to the bed on this print (as seen in the skirt)  but 210 first layer and 207 after gave me some nice results.

IMG_5784.thumb.jpg.3991152c0ebf9404d382d68249c927c7.jpg

I'm looking for a filament with matte finish and I saw this Matteforge at Printed Solid.

Anyone have more photos to share? Is it semi-matte or real matte? 😊

My intention is to give a "more professional look" to some prototypes ... the brilliance of plastic makes it seem cheaper in some cases.

Mixed PLAs or PLAs are my focus as I also need good tolerance and easy printing. I'm discarding carbon fiber because I want to preserve my abrasive nozzles for the Bronzefill 😀

I bought a spool of Colorfabb Semi Matte Black PLA recently, it is not completely matte, but a lot more than normal PLA. 

Posted (edited) · MatteForge Filament anyone?
    3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I bought a spool of Colorfabb Semi Matte Black PLA recently, it is not completely matte, but a lot more than normal PLA. 

Ok thank you, good exemple of semi-matte to compare with that Matterforge...

in Amazon I saw this Spider Maker that also is matte but I don't have reference:

https://www.amazon.com/SpiderMaker-Printer-PLA-Filament-Incredible/dp/B07NYPH4LS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=matte%2Bfilament%2Bpla&qid=1560972875&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

Just for reference Spider Maker is the same price as Matteforge... around 35 for 1kg.

Colorfabb is around 50 / 750gr spool

Edited by fergazz
    last line inclusion

Yes, price is heavy for the Colorfabb one and I don't understand why it is so expensive. So when you have some experiences with the other one, let me know please, because I would also prefer a more matte finish for my functional prints. Looks better in my opinion.

I posted the cube above but here’s a MattForge print I did overnight on the 720 x 350 x 400 FT-6

223CF712-8A08-4DD3-B237-3F19FF8C3149.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks nice matte, thanks!

Posted (edited) · MatteForge Filament anyone?

I've gonr through a 1kg spool of matte forge now.... 

I'm pleased with the Finnish although it could be more matte. 

The layer adhesion isn't as good as normal PLA either

DSC_1187.thumb.JPG.fd6f3a14f36759a9a9324a7ea9495b5f.JPGDSC_1186.thumb.JPG.c9ebcc6de61424c7b97188dc47c05aa3.JPG

Edited by ScanHD
    • Like 1

thank you @LePaul and @ScanHD... this matte looks great to my eyes... I will probably buy one of those. I'm really in doubth cause I buy filaments from U.S or Europe once a year because I cannot find those in my country. 

I'm quite impressed with the colors of this Spider Maker filament as well.... the first review listed show some great prints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2POCD7IPRNOQ2/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07NYPH4LS

but looks like it have just 1.75mm filament avaiable... at least in this add 😕

maybe I can buy it for my CR-10S Pro

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

Yes, price is heavy for the Colorfabb one and I don't understand why it is so expensive. So when you have some experiences with the other one, let me know please, because I would also prefer a more matte finish for my functional prints. Looks better in my opinion.

Colorfabb is straight foward... garantee quality. Sometimes we need a consistence stuff... but nowadays I realize that other manufectures are improving tolerance, adhesion and making awesome colors as well.

I'm also looking for Atomic filaments, Paramount and Solutech and probably will test one of those for non-matte options. 

Ok @Smithy... I will let you know about my choices and tests 🙂

See you all buddies... cheers!

If you like that finish and have a 1.75mm printer, check out the Zyltech Silk Composite PLA.  They only have Gold, Green and White...but it prints quite similar to MattForge at half the price.  (And you can use my YouTube coupon code to save 15%  NerdyisCool)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fergazz said:

thank you @LePaul and @ScanHD... this matte looks great to my eyes... I will probably buy one of those. I'm really in doubth cause I buy filaments from U.S or Europe once a year because I cannot find those in my country. 

I'm quite impressed with the colors of this Spider Maker filament as well.... the first review listed show some great prints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2POCD7IPRNOQ2/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07NYPH4LS

but looks like it have just 1.75mm filament avaiable... at least in this add 😕

maybe I can buy it for my CR-10S Pro

Colorfabb is straight foward... garantee quality. Sometimes we need a consistence stuff... but nowadays I realize that other manufectures are improving tolerance, adhesion and making awesome colors as well.

I'm also looking for Atomic filaments, Paramount and Solutech and probably will test one of those for non-matte options. 

Ok @Smithy... I will let you know about my choices and tests 🙂

See you all buddies... cheers!

Where are you? I get 1kg of matte forge posted for £30.

It don't get much cheaper 

On 6/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, ScanHD said:

Where are you? I get 1kg of matte forge posted for £30.

It don't get much cheaper 

I'm from Brazil but I'm going to USA

The Black is out of stock in Printed Solid...

I am in doubt between blue, dark gray or orange (mistery)

😁

Orange 🙂 

On 6/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, LePaul said:

I posted the cube above but here’s a MattForge print I did overnight on the 720 x 350 x 400 FT-6

223CF712-8A08-4DD3-B237-3F19FF8C3149.jpeg

Really nice Paul... I actually saw it later at your channel 

starts showing Matteforge at 14:30s 

On 6/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, Smithy said:

Orange 🙂 

Ok, end of mistery... I got the orange!!

I still have some blues, greys and my "orange dutch" color is almost empty for couple of years... and I love it.

So let's try a new orange... I will post my thoughts here later 

Thank you fellows!

Hi @fergazz !

I have a soft spot for Dutch Orange, one of my favorite filament colors that ColorFabb makes.

Glad you enjoy the channel!  It's grown quite a bit on me in the last few months and I really enjoy the many projects I stumble into!