supportmaterial

Roblab

Posted · supportmaterial

Hiya,

if I understand correctly that there angle of the features above this height don't need support?

if you look in the support section there is an angle setting which should range from 0 to 90 deg. when making a change here you will find that the higher the value the more parallel to the plate the over hang becomes in order to generate support.

90 deg = parallel to build plate.

depending on the layer thickness I will set it around 45 deg.

for lower layer height I increase the value to about 75 ish as I need less support.

hope this helps

Bex

Posted · supportmaterial

If I am not mistaken, 90° is perpendicular to the plate, and 0° is parallel. That would be why 45° gives you more support and 65° less.

When I tested my printer with all the test files for overhangs and angles, I found for my printer, 65° was about the point of the clean underside. While it could handle up to 85°, it would get really messy underneath. Not a problem in hidden areas though. This would not be the same as a bridging situation though. I have found it bridges pretty nicely as long as the gap is not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted · supportmaterial

If I am not mistaken, 90° is perpendicular to the plate, and 0° is parallel. That would be why 45° gives you more support and 65° less.

When I tested my printer with all the test files for overhangs and angles, I found for my printer, 65° was about the point of the clean underside. While it could handle up to 85°, it would get really messy underneath. Not a problem in hidden areas though. This would not be the same as a bridging situation though. I have found it bridges pretty nicely as long as the gap is not too bad.

True I managed to get my angles mixed up.

• Like 1

Posted · supportmaterial

There are tricks you can do in cura. You can create a cube in cad or download one from thingiverse and place your model and the cube on the plate. Then you can adjust your cube to be larger in x,y than your model and 5mm tall.

I'm a bit sketchy on the rest - there is a way to make the cube affect cura settings and also to put the cube on top of the part (some option in settings - not part of profile but part of cura basic settings - some checkbox lets you do this - have models be overlapping).

Then you tell cura that inside the cuboid do support and outside you disable support.

I've never done this but other's have I think so I'm very sketchy on the details.

Personally I just do my own support designs in cad.

• Like 1

Posted · supportmaterial

There are tricks you can do in cura.  You can create a cube in cad or download one from thingiverse and place your model and the cube on the plate.  Then you can adjust your cube to be larger in x,y than your model and 5mm tall.

I'm a bit sketchy on the rest - there is a way to make the cube affect cura settings and also to put the cube on top of the part (some option in settings - not part of profile but part of cura basic settings - some checkbox lets you do this - have models be overlapping).

Then you tell cura that inside the cuboid do support and outside you disable support.

I've never done this but other's have I think so I'm very sketchy on the details.

Personally I just do my own support designs in cad.

So true.

I did that a while ago in S3D I had small discs that I would add to corners and resize then in what ever way I wanted them in order to create feet for better bed adhesion. I also did the pillar thing I just made a square and it was treated as a seperate object but when I increased the size as I desired so that it would sit inside the model slightly it would blend as part of the original model. on the left side in CURA where you find move, resize, mirror etc... there is settings for model, select the model you want to have independent settings for and what ever you select are the only settings that will be different, the others will be the same as the global settings in the main panel. you can create all sorts of shapes for your primary support pillar. pyramid, cylindrical, square, oval.... what ever suits best. and you can still have the normal support structure with it too if you desire.