Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Kortben

ER18 "There is a communication error with the print head"

Hi

My printer (UM3) have problems with communication with the print head. I often got ER18 with the text "There is a communication error with the print head"

It often occurs when the print is finished and the print head i "homing" to the start position. It´s also occurs after a (by me) aborted print - also when the print head is homing.

When I have dismounted/mounted the print heads, I often can print again.

Maybe has the ER18-problem started after I in this week updated the firmware, but I´m not sure.

What to do? Any suggestions?

/KP

If you want to solve it yourself: Unscrew the rear long screws of the print head and open the top rear part of the print head. Unplug the print head cable gently (the connector has a clip which you have to push while unpluging it). Remount the cable again and close the print head.

If this does not solve the issue or you don't want to tinker around with your printer, please get in contact with your reseller.

• Like 1

I had this issue a lot. Turns out I needed a replacement print head coms cable. Guess there were some manufacturing defects in the cable. Was an pretty easy install, took about 15 minutes. Have had zero issues since and the print quality seems to have gotten better. Reach out to your re seller, they can hook you up with a new one.

Are you running the most recent firmware? There was a patch a while back.

If you're already running the most recent firmware, in most cases, reseating the cable once does the trick. In a very small number of cases, a new cable may be needed (contact your reseller if the issue persists after reseating the cable).

It seems that I do need to replace the (UM3) print head cable, as the 18 error raised its ugly head again a couple of times (interestingly right after aborting a print job, like Kortben described above).

I already bought a replacement cable at my own cost, but am not sure how to replace it, because I didn't find out how to open/remove the right hand side stepper motor cover sheet which also hides the print head cable leading down to the electronics pcb. Any hints?

On 12.1.2018 at 6:14 PM, fbrc8-erin said:

The cable cover is held in place with push-fit tabs on the back, right, and bottom panels. Start with the bed all the way down so its out of the way, and pull at the top corner of the cover; may need to work it side to side a little to get it out.

After some more problems, today I changed the cable. Thanks to your helpful hints regarding the cable cover, it went without problems. Hopefully the nasty ER18 will have gone. Thanks again!