ER18 "There is a communication error with the print head"

Kortben

Posted · ER18 "There is a communication error with the print head"

Hi

My printer (UM3) have problems with communication with the print head. I often got ER18 with the text "There is a communication error with the print head"

It often occurs when the print is finished and the print head i "homing" to the start position. It´s also occurs after a (by me) aborted print - also when the print head is homing.

When I have dismounted/mounted the print heads, I often can print again.

Maybe has the ER18-problem started after I in this week updated the firmware, but I´m not sure.

What to do? Any suggestions?

/KP

If you want to solve it yourself: Unscrew the rear long screws of the print head and open the top rear part of the print head. Unplug the print head cable gently (the connector has a clip which you have to push while unpluging it). Remount the cable again and close the print head.

If this does not solve the issue or you don't want to tinker around with your printer, please get in contact with your reseller.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had this issue a lot. Turns out I needed a replacement print head coms cable. Guess there were some manufacturing defects in the cable. Was an pretty easy install, took about 15 minutes. Have had zero issues since and the print quality seems to have gotten better. Reach out to your re seller, they can hook you up with a new one.

• Like 1

Are you running the most recent firmware? There was a patch a while back.

If you're already running the most recent firmware, in most cases, reseating the cable once does the trick. In a very small number of cases, a new cable may be needed (contact your reseller if the issue persists after reseating the cable).

• 1 month later...

It seems that I do need to replace the (UM3) print head cable, as the 18 error raised its ugly head again a couple of times (interestingly right after aborting a print job, like Kortben described above).

I already bought a replacement cable at my own cost, but am not sure how to replace it, because I didn't find out how to open/remove the right hand side stepper motor cover sheet which also hides the print head cable leading down to the electronics pcb. Any hints?

The cable cover is held in place with push-fit tabs on the back, right, and bottom panels. Start with the bed all the way down so its out of the way, and pull at the top corner of the cover; may need to work it side to side a little to get it out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
    On 12.1.2018 at 6:14 PM, fbrc8-erin said:

The cable cover is held in place with push-fit tabs on the back, right, and bottom panels. Start with the bed all the way down so its out of the way, and pull at the top corner of the cover; may need to work it side to side a little to get it out.

After some more problems, today I changed the cable. Thanks to your helpful hints regarding the cable cover, it went without problems. Hopefully the nasty ER18 will have gone. Thanks again!

I added a video here on how to reseat the cable, but I recommend checking with your reseller before disassembling anything: https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004169003-Reseating-the-Printhead-Cable-Ultimaker-3-Series-

• Like 2

Thanks everybody, i had the same problem , and until now the printer has been Ok. I really appreciate this community.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 11:32 PM, fbrc8-erin said:

I added a video here on how to reseat the cable, but I recommend checking with your reseller before disassembling anything: https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004169003-Reseating-the-Printhead-Cable-Ultimaker-3-Series-

THANK YOU

Your teaching videos have helped me a lot.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · ER18 "There is a communication error with the print head"

*** I figured it out and I'll post photos - just wiggled it until the tabs came out but a very tight fit ***

I had the ER18 error on my Ultimaker 3 Extended and after reseating the cable a couple of times I managed to break the tab on the cable connector itself at the print head end.  Reseating would only clear the error for a while and a long print would error out in the middle eventually so I've ordered and received a new print head cable and I'm trying to figure out how to get the long cable cover removed, the cover that runs from the inside top of the printer to the bottom.  I see you mention it is held on with push fit tabs - so no screws and its just a matter of wiggling it until it comes out?  Trying not to break anything.  If you have a video or photo of this procedure that would be great - or, a few words of advise.

Thanks

Larry

Edited by ldaponte

@ldaponte it's a tight fit, so you pretty much have to manhandle it out. You can wedge a screwdriver in there to try and get some extra leverage.

Make sure the bed is all the way at the bottom before trying to remove the corner cover.

photo_2019-09-25_17-06-55.thumb.jpg.f488d93421064bdcd699da017897cfec.jpg

Hello all,

I have faced the same issue several times and lately became more frequent. I always reset the print head by unplug and plug the cable but the issue appeared again.

I figured out a solution for this by designing a cable clip to hold the print head cable vertical at the entrance.

I will share the thingiverse link when available.

• Like 1

My solution for the problem can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4003292

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Hello,

im my case it was the white socket on the print head board. It was pulled out so that the pins lost contact.

Hope that helps anyone.

Cheers. Mazze

20200818_161805.jpg

20200818_161819.jpg

• Like 1

And in the middle of this "head" thing, the red and then the white wire fell off and because of this an error appears i think.  I will solder them.

ult 3

Edited by ulitin

The red and white ones on the metal bracket are your active leveling cables; they shouldn't be related to ER18 errors. 

15 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

The red and white ones on the metal bracket are your active leveling cables; they shouldn't be related to ER18 errors. 

sure it didnt help.

I soldered the red and white wire in the middle wrong. Later I changed them back. Did not help. As a result, I checked the main connector, it was not plugged in, I fixed that too and the printer boots up successfully 😀

Edited by ulitin

Glad it's booting now!

• Like 1

I've had my Ultimaker 3 for several years now and occasionally the ERR18 occurs and I reseat the cable. But support from a 3D printer retailer suggested that I provide support to the cable immediately it leaves the print head. So what I now have done is to apply some blue adhesive tape (thus low tack) around the cable and across to the bowden tube. The tape is applied at the point where the cable leaves the printhead and again about 2 inches further up maintaining the upright parallel distance between the cable and the bowden tube. So when the print head pulls the cable as it prints, the cable remains upright and does not pull at a sharp angle to the print head.

I can't guarantee that an ERR18 will not still occasionally occur but since I've performed this ad hoc solution it's been ERR free. I've used blue tape because it has a light adhesive and I don't want the cable 'glued' to the bowden tube. So if the tape works loose I just reapply some more. But I am thinking of printing a clip that holds the cable parallel to the bowden tube in two places.