Buildplate preheat

Karel1986

Posted · Buildplate preheat

Well we have the Cura Connect now and it becomes far more complex once you can have N amount of printers you might pre-heat, and not just one.

So it was lost due to our product owner finding features like "move job to top" more important.

We do plan to reintroduce it but make it automatic, or at least we are discussing it. (while you are slicing and adjusting settings your intent would be to print, so we could then already heat up the printer closest to matching your configuration)

We do plan to reintroduce it but make it automatic, or at least we are discussing it. (while you are slicing and adjusting settings your intent would be to print, so we could then already heat up the printer closest to matching your configuration)

Uhm... that could mean it would heat for hours being idle? What about energy efficiency?

Posted (edited) · Buildplate preheat

We do plan to reintroduce it but make it automatic, or at least we are discussing it.

Uhm... that could mean it would heat for hours being idle? What about energy efficiency?

TL, DR: No, I disagree, this is largely dependent on the implementation.

If a user presses a button it does not mean no energy is ever wasted.

But then that's why we're still discussing it.... and not have already done it.

And of course there will be some for who this is completely undesirable and would want an off switch. So there would certainly be an opt out.

Pre-heat can timeout in a set time in seconds.

and Cura connect can report it's slicing every x seconds.

So please ask yourself this, are you tweaking your print in Cura for hours? or are you designing, slicing finding something wrong and then spending another 10+ minutes designing, then tweaking your print a bit more in cura at the end? If we are only heating up while slicing and tweaking the slice there would not be so much time waste depending on how long/frequently Cura(connect reports) to the printer that you are (still) slicing.

So that would heat it for seconds to minutes incorrectly, definitely not hours, at least for the use that I've observed.

On the other-hand if we make a button, and then a (matching or random) printer gets pre-heated, after-witch you change your print properties which causes it to be printed on a different printer is not a loss of energy/efficiency?

But perhaps before arguing points and use cases we should see if we can answer this question by looking at the usage statistics of Cura, I'll ask @nallath if we can see the required information.

In conclusion: It's not that simple, since you can have N printers now you have to do something to decide which printer to pre heat anyway, this can be wrong depending on when that is sent. AFAIK the pre-heat is also not used much so it makes sense to automate it so everyone gets that efficiency increase except only those that know to press a button at the exact right time with the right set of materials selected, etc.

Edited by Guest

In conclusion: It's not that simple, since you can have N printers now you have to do something to decide which printer to pre heat anyway, ...

I don't know, how large this user group still is, but perhaps it's worth a thought to bring back the former functionality for those cases where there's only one printer in the group?

I don't know, how large this user group still is, but perhaps it's worth a thought to bring back the former functionality for those cases where there's only one printer in the group?

So far 94% percent of people using Cura connect (and sharing anonymous data) only have on printer in their cluster, so that might be the way to go indeed.

Then again the installed base on the printer is not really big enough to know that for sure.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I just have one printer.

I guess ill downgrade to a previous CURA version then.

Thanks

I just have one printer.

Thanks

I hope you'll take another look at Cura connect, the having of a print-queue makes even one printer a lot more productive IMHO. and I think you'll agree if given the chance because it fits a lot better with your time problem https://ultimaker.com/en/community/51699-what-time-is-my-print-finished

You can send your print when you have finished slicing, not when your printer has also finished, then you can already slice something else, etc...

P.S: You can also downgrade the firmware on the printer, then the new Cura keeps talking to the old printer in the old way.

Edited by Guest

I just have one printer.

Thanks

I hope you'll take another look at Cura connect, the having of a print-queue makes even one printer a lot more productive IMHO. and I think you'll agree if given the chance because it fits a lot better with your time problem https://ultimaker.com/en/community/51699-what-time-is-my-print-finished

You can send your print when you have finished slicing, not when your printer has also finished, then you can already slice something else, etc...

P.S: You can also downgrade the firmware on the printer, then the new Cura keeps talking to the old printer in the old way.

If 94 % of users have only 1 printer, why invest time and money programming the whole CURA software to just that group?

You disadvantage the 94% group, by adding features like an online environment in which you can check if i've cleaned one of my 2 printcores.

If I just have the one printer, I can assure you that I am never going to select this via an online environment. I just remember when I've done this.

My advise would be, K.I.S.S and focus on the larger group.

So far 94% percent of people using Cura connect (and sharing anonymous data) only have on printer in their cluster, so that might be the way to go indeed.

Then again the installed base on the printer is not really big enough to know that for sure.

If 94 % of users have only 1 printer, why invest time and money programming the whole CURA software to just that small 6% group?

You disadvantage the 94% group, by adding features like an online environment in which you can check if i've cleaned one of my 2 printcores.

If I just have the one printer, I can assure you that I am never going to select this via an online environment. I just remember when I've done this.

Edited by Guest

If 94 % of users have only 1 printer, why invest time and money programming the whole CURA software to just that group?

Sorry but that does not seem very well though out:

1. 49% so far... (from those that have chosen to share statistics)
      (you can't see future statistics anyway so that's like saying we should never have gone to the moon because we wouldn't be back for decades afterwards anyway, how did you know? besides it's still very early for this feature)
    2. Being able to click print anytime and have my printer remember/continue the queue is a huge benefit not counting how many printers you have.
    3. What on-line environment? This is all running on the printer, the printer does not require an Internet connection.
    4. The maintenance logging is not the main feature here, or is it?
      Though to be honest, do you think everyone is aware of how often you should do which things?

I get that currently Connect is missing some features (though I don't think this is the worst, by a long shot) but come on and stop bashing it because you miss one tiny feature and don't have a use for one other tiny feature...

Bringing the pre-heat back at least for one printer setups  seems very feasible though, I'll add it to the list.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Sorry but that does not seem very well though out:

1. 49% so far... (from those that have chosen to share statistics)

(you can't see future statistics anyway so that's like saying we should never have gone to the moon because we wouldn't be back for decades afterwards anyway, how did you know? besides it's still very early for this feature)

2. Being able to click print anytime and have my printer remember/continue the queue is a huge benefit not counting how many printers you have.

3. What on-line environment? This is all running on the printer, the printer does not require an Internet connection.

4. The maintenance logging is not the main feature here, or is it?

Though to be honest, do you think everyone is aware of how often you should do which things?

I get that currently Connect is missing some features (though I don't think this is the worst, by a long shot) but come on and stop bashing it because you miss one tiny feature and don't have a use for one other tiny feature...

Bringing the pre-heat back at least for one printer setups  seems very feasible though, I'll add it to the list.

1. Hey man you're the one giving me stats of 94% not me.

2. For you it might be, for me it's not.

3. I'm referring to the "network environment" http://192.168.51.17/print_jobs

4. That's the whole point, maintenance is not the main feature.

It's not my intension to be bashing CURA nor Ultimaker. It's a great product which is a great addition to my product development. So don't give me that attitude.

Just like the finished time feature, buildplate pre heat and perhaps print cue line are features that help me reduce print time and be more efficient in day to day use.

• Like 1

Just in case... I'd love to have back the pre-heat too (single UM printers, at home and office)...

To advise the user that the plate is "hot" the LED might be pulsing, and the display might well highlight the fact that the plate is hot (= print soon and not waste energy). As well as CURA could show a RED icon.

THANKS