Does this "math art" vase require support and/or a bed?

nzo

Posted · Does this "math art" vase require support and/or a bed?

I'd like to attempt to print this "Enneper Vase" by Dizingof. My first attempt at math art.

The author gives no setup guidelines except a recommended wall thickness of 2mm and size of 100x100x130mm.

Enneper-vase.4662-510x600.thumb.jpg.7509ae26fdc5506042e0b0b7bb86431a.jpg

Does this type of model structure need support or a raft?

I'm planning to use white PLA @ 60° & 210°C.

Thanks!

Enneper-vase.4662-510x600.thumb.jpg.7509ae26fdc5506042e0b0b7bb86431a.jpg

Posted (edited) · Does this "math art" vase require support and/or a bed?

There are areas under the midsection that would be hanging without some sort of support during printing.

You could try it without it though, but I would think you need support.

Edited by Guest

There are areas under the midsection that would be hanging without some sort of support during printing. You could try it without it though, but I would think you need support.

Once again your eagle eyes were spot on kman! Asher aka Dizingof confirmed that this model needs support under the flat surfaces. I'll add that via Meshmixer.

Edited by Guest

With that amount of fine details and holes, I would print it slow and as cool as possible. This will also reduce curling up of edges. Maybe 190°C at 25mm/s, if your PLA can handle that? Maybe you could cut out a small part and try that first, and then manually adjust temp, to find the best settings? Also, be sure to have a big thick stable base, otherwise it will be knocked over.

I've taken your comments on board - thank you Geert.

I'm not sure what you mean about a big, thick stable base since this model doesn't have a base in the usual sense.

With that amount of fine details and holes, I would print it slow and as cool as possible. This will also reduce curling up of edges. Maybe 190°C at 25mm/s, if your PLA can handle that? Maybe you could cut out a small part and try that first, and then manually adjust temp, to find the best settings? Also, be sure to have a big thick stable base, otherwise it will be knocked over.

For stable base do you mean a raft Geert? The "base' is actually halfway up the form.

I think a brim would be good for this.

@nzo do you know @labern?  He is also in Auckland, NZ.  He is a friend of mine.

If you print it I think it will print.  The biggest danger is how it attaches to the glass bed - that could come off - I'd be tempted to cut off .5mm of the bottom (set Z to -0.5mm in cura move mode) and add a brim.  But I think this model will print okay without any support.  It will be ugly under that "base" but it shouldn't completely fail.

If you have a UM3 though then much better to print this with dissolvable support up to the base.

9 hours ago, gr5 said:

@nzo do you know @labern?

We said hello to each other shortly after I joined the UM forum but nothing more than that.

Thanks for the tips. I've been in contact with Dizingof about the "Ennepper Vase" in my OP - about his support strategy for a piece like that vase.

He sells finished prints of his beautiful commercial Maths models so I can understand why he might be reluctant to share any making details. I also appreciate his generosity in providing so many free models to download but he includes no making details that would be helpful to a newbie. That's too bad but I think I understand where he's coming from.

Edited by nzo

Indeed, concerning "base" I meant something like a brim. Or a custom made brim-like plate, maybe with a few custom made tree-like support columns to support the overhanging middle parts, if you print it in one piece. If you print it in two pieces, cut halfway, this might not be necessary.

Thanks Geert - that's useful to know. I'm in off-print mode at the moment, deliberately, to catch up on household chores.