Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
BrzJa

Machine dead after firmware failure to update

Ultimaker 2 Extended +

Cura 3.1.0

I tried using the auto updating firmware within Cura and was presented with this message"

"Firmware update failed due to an unknown error."

Once that message displayed, the machine no longer worked. It will not turn on, no LED lights up, no illumination of the screen. There is a loud buzzing noise when the power switch is turned on. Cura does detect that the machine is connected, but no operations can be performed, and a firmware update attempt results in another failure error message.

What is the procedure to reset the machine to factory settings if the screen can't be accessed? Is there a manual hard reset procedure?

Thanks for the help!

Bricking an UM2 is (almost) impossible, the bootloader is designed to protect itself.

What most likely happened in your situation is that your computer has some kind of USB problem, i.e. the connection to the printer is not correct. We have one computer here with a similar problem.

Try updating the printer from another computer.

On 2018-01-07 at 1:44 AM, BrzJa said:

Ultimaker 2 Extended +

Cura 3.1.0

I tried using the auto updating firmware within Cura and was presented with this message"

"Firmware update failed due to an unknown error."

Once that message displayed, the machine no longer worked. It will not turn on, no LED lights up, no illumination of the screen. There is a loud buzzing noise when the power switch is turned on. Cura does detect that the machine is connected, but no operations can be performed, and a firmware update attempt results in another failure error message.

What is the procedure to reset the machine to factory settings if the screen can't be accessed? Is there a manual hard reset procedure?

Thanks for the help!

I am having the same problem I hope someone can help

Yikes.  Well try a different USB cable and try using a different computer as well if you can.  Also consider putting some kind of spacer (maybe some napkins) between the two ribbon cables underneath the printer.  Some people bought a $5 (5 euro?) USB hub to boost their USB signal power and that worked for them.