Firmware upload problem

federgarrido

Posted · Firmware upload problem

Hi everybody, I made a factory reset on the UM3 and tried to update the firmware to the latest version via USB.

It is installing the firmware for at least 2 hours now, still stuck on the ´Installing new firmware. Do not power off printer.´ screen and nothing really happens..

I assume it is not normal, do you know what should I do now??

thanks in advance! Federico

Hi federgarrido,

You can turn the UM3 on and off and check if it loads. I've checked with the team, it is (almost) impossible to brick the bootloader. 

If it does not load, you can try the recovery image as explained in this topic: 

Good luck and let us know if it works!

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Firmware upload problem

Hi I have the exakt problem with downloading my firmware 4.0.1 on the Ultimaker 3+. 

It is installing the firmware for at least 2 hours now, still stuck on the ´Installing new firmware. Do not power off printer.´ screen and nothing really happens..

I am not a computer technician. Please give an easier explenation?
    Edited by Polarice

Well after 2 hours you might as well power it off and on and see what happens even though it tells you not to.  At this point it's obviously stuck and nothing is going to change until you power cycle it.  You might have to contact your reseller or use the "unbricking" methods referred to in the link above.

I turned it off and it was ok.  It retained the older version of the firmware 3.7.x

But I cannot upload any new firmware, neither the newest nor older versions. I already contacted the reseller but still no response....

What happens when you try to download the new stable firmware?

It would be good to see the messages on the screen and preferably have the log.

Even after it seems to be stuck, using the System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Dump logs to USB might give some insights in what might be going wrong.

There is no wifi connection available, everything must be done by USB.

I can try dumping the logs to a USB, but I have no idea how to interpret them.....

Is it possible to reset to *actual* factory settings? I did it but the  newest firmware remained....

You can upload your logs here so we can take a look at them.

The firmware does not reset to the factory version. As for the latest version; you can download the files manually here: http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/ You can use 

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/latest.tar.xz and http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/latest.tar.xz.sig for the latest version. You will need both files.

I already tried the latest version as well as other ones, no firmware seems to work.

did you try to unbrick the printer with the guide @gr5 posted? you can just grab the latest version of the recovery image that way you're up to date as well.

Thank you, but it is still under warranty. I think I will send it to the retailer to get it fixed.

good Idea

Maybe I'm missing something, but these do not seem like the normal log files to me.

How did you make/get them?

via "Dump logs to USB" , I changed their file extensions from GZ to LOG

Thanks for the logs, we've found something interesting. I will keep you updated.

We've looked at the logs, it seems something in the filesystem has become corrupt. Because of this, the UM3 cannot test if the firmware is signed by us. If you can, the recovery process wil save you the time of replacing the unit. If you cannot do that or don't want to, please talk to your supplier to get a replacement unit. Sorry this happend to you!

thanks for the quick reply! How do I start a recovery process? I already tried to do a factory reset, but it didn´t work since the firmware could not be installed.

No problem! This post outlines how to do it, it does require a Micro SD card and screwdriver:

Posted (edited) · Firmware upload problem

This is crappy, there must be a better way with a hot fix or so. I have counted a number of members having this problem so it must be possible to do in a SW manner resolving this. 

I have upgraded a number of versions without problems. There must be a bug in the latest 4.1 upgrade.

Edited by Polarice

Thanks a lot for the logs @Polarice ... I've seen something strange happening in your case that warrants further investigation!

For those who want to see for themselves (and maybe have similar messages): see boot-5.log...

Thanks a lot for the logs @Polarice ... I've seen something strange happening in your case that warrants further investigation!

For those who want to see for themselves (and maybe have similar messages): see boot-5.log...

Edited:

Can you do the following:

1. Reboot the printer

2. Then upgrade the firmware?

It looks like your /tmp (tmpfs) is full which causes problems. Rebooting the printer clears it completely.

Hello together,

i have a similiar problem with our new UM3.

Can't update the Firmware.

Tried Wifi/Cabel and USB only.

USB just says failed and Wifi shows a HTML Code wich need's aprox. 5 second to scroll trough.

I have Images and Logfiles if the uploading works.

Thanks People

Alexander

LOG20062018.zip

P1060223.png

P1060224.png

P1060225.png

P1060226.png

P1060227.png

P1060228.png

P1060229.png