always rotating model by 90degrees in the same axis after open

Andreasw

Posted · always rotating model by 90degrees in the same axis after open

In 99% of all cases I rotate the the STL after import by 90 degrees in one axis.

Is there  maybe a place where I could set a command / script that automatically runs after I open an STL? 

I think it has to do with how you export your model, and the point of origin is at the wrong/not where you mean it place. This point decides what is up and what is down in your model. How to change this 0,0,0 position may depend on what software you use. Do you design the models yourself, where this happens?

Yes, this happens to me when I create things with Fusion 360. I could rotate them by those 90 degrees before they become a STL. (Or I could look into changing this in Fusion.) It is just strange that this 90 degrees turn seems to be needed for my parts 90% of the time. Since it does not matter, I should probably just 'rotate my thinking' when I start the object in Fusion. I was just wondering if there is a place for cura commands to be run during import. 

Thanks for getting back to me about this. 

Something interesting to check is if rotating actually does the trick; it would be my guess that you have to rotate and mirror the mesh to get it to be the same as the original. The problem is actually not a rotation, but the swapping of the Y & Z axis (ie: which axis points upwards, Y or Z?).

I think a plugin could be created to do this swapping automatically (or with a dialog).

The solution for dealing with this issue with Fusion 360 is fairly simple. 

For whatever reason Autodesk have chosen "Y-Up" as the default modelling orientation in Fusion 360.  That's despite all of the industries that I know using "Z-Up" (Z is the vertical axis in 3D space), and that includes Cura. So when you import your Fusion 360 model it positions the vertical axis in your model, which is the Y-axis, onto the horizontal Y-axis in Cura - and hence your model imports on it's side.

You can see what your current setting is if you look at the view cube in the top right hand corner where the axes are labelled.

There's an easy fix for this, and one that you do once and never have to re-orientate a model again.

Go to where your name is in the top right hand corner of the screen, click on the drop-down arrow to bring up the menu and select "Preferences".  On the Preferences window that opens up part way down there is a "Default modelling orientation" option where you can change from Y-Up to Z-Up (see the image attached), then click "Apply" and then "OK".  From then on every new model you create won't have this orientation issue - though the change will not change any old models you have created, or the one that you may be working on when you apply this change.

I hope that helps - I keep meaning to ask Autodesk why they use the Y-Up as default when everyone I know uses Z as the vertical 3D axis.  Making this change is something I get everyone to do at the start of all of the Fusion 360 training courses that I run. 

ATC File.jpg

• Like 2
    • Thanks 2

In 3d modelling for computer visualisation, Y-up is more common. This includes all of OpenGl, so Cura internally uses Y-up as well, and there's quite a bit of juggling going on to flip between these orientations.

Steve this is perfect! It works great. Thank you. It seems that the preference change affects only designs during their creation. Going forward I'll save one step.Which is awesome. And I hope to remain thankful for your awesome explanation and documentation for a while. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 2:45 PM, Andreasw said:

Steve this is perfect! It works great. Thank you. It seems that the preference change affects only designs during their creation. Going forward I'll save one step.Which is awesome. And I hope to remain thankful for your awesome explanation and documentation for a while. 

Glad that's sorted for you Andreas and that it will eliminate one step in the process of going from 3D model to 3D print

Steve,

Do you have the same trick for SolidWorks? I, too, constantly have this problem.

Something like a 1 click 90* rotate would also solve the problem quite quickly and be general.

I don't use Solidworks but I can see that it has the same issue where Y-up is the default setting.

Take a look at the two YouTube videos and the webpage link below to see if these help (it looks like you have to maybe create a new template for your designs to correct this problem in SW) :

https://ongaacam.com/reset-solidworks-planes-z-axis-call-top/

Huh, yeah, that's probably a reasonable way. Certainly the two "defaults" conflict. Thanks!

Just stopped in to say, "Thank you, SteveCox3D!" for "The solution for dealing with this issue with Fusion 360."

You have saved me a million future clicks.  =)

As a SolidWorks user for 20 + years, far as I know, the Y axis is always up in 3D modeling software.

If you are using SolidWorks, the Cura Plug in does the rotation for you automatically.  Try it.  Works incredibly well. 

https://thopiekar.eu/cura/cad/solidworks/

Also there is a plug in called Auto-Orientation available in the market place.  No experience with it, but just do what you are looking for.

Many old cnc routers have the Y axis pointing up, but they are 30 + years old. Since the 25 years I work with cnc machines, almost all of them have the Z axis pointing up. It is always the same direction, in which the tool is pointing.
    So, in my opinion cura does it the right way => because it is the same way as the printers do.

Makes sense.  I have no experience with CNC machines.  I was simply referring specifically to 3D mechanical CAD modeling software and the desire of AbeFM, above, to be able to automatically flip his SWX model 90°.

I have no experience with SolidWorks, so I'm sure it is as you wrote it. What I wanna say is, that Cura should be oriented the same way as the 3d printer is, and I think this is now the case for most of the printers out there.

But yes, it would be very helpful, if cura automatically rotates the part when you define the CAD it came from. So the plugins from thopiekar should be standard ones in cura in the future.