Super Clogged Extruders

rjd

Posted (edited) · Super Clogged Extruders
6 minutes ago, 9thoracle said:

Just because the issue's root cause is bad adhesion, doesn't mean there aren't issues down the line.

I cannot agree with this. That is like saying that not taking care of any other issue will cause problems and therefore, everything else is at fault when the root cause is user error. My ABS is not sticking to the PVA!!! My PP does not stick like PLA!!, etc. etc. All false equivalencies in the idea that everything can be compensated for.

@Digibike is on the right track to dealing with an issue with something other than "It ain't all perfect." It takes into account the occasional user error, or, repeated user error as well as other issues that can arise.

Nothing meant negative about it, but the root of your argument relies on UM taking every possible user error into consideration. I just do not agree with that.

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · Super Clogged Extruders

The fact that you have the problem with the liability always under control, honors you, but also shows that it happened to you, at least in the beginning, too. I also usually have no liability problems, but in the last case, I had a tiny carelessness in the process for the 2nd Printing part, which gave me this surprise - see also the photo of the previous poster. and that at a printer of 4400 euro and 2 Core's for a total of 240 euros. The last time that something happened to me, by the way, was 2014th So prints not synonymous since yesterday ... Can you imagine what I think about it, when I see that the printer for 4400 euros so produces a damage, in principle would be preventable for 0.30 cents ...? The liability error was clearly my mistake, only the impact would be so easily caught in a failed print with primitive means, instead the printer is allowed to produce damage to these capitals.
    That's not to say the least, to say the least, no matter how well you get along with the printer. Something simpler can be prevented, especially since the magnets and the temperature control are already implants ... Then it is not necessarily so consuming a filament monitoring as the S5 - it is automatically collected the disturbance as soon as the fan can no longer cool the core - then anyway no control of the Core's happen!

Greetings, Digibike

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Just had a massive clog last weekend. 15 hours of PLA and PVA build up. Not sure what caused the issue but the door opened and the print head got stuck in the empty space between the bed and the right side panel.

Took me couple of hours to clear the clog. Used a heat gun on an electronics repair station to melt the plastic and tear away larger chunks. As the OP mentioned, getting the cores removed from the print head bottom plate was quite difficult. In the end, I blasted hot air directly onto the bottom plate while holding it with adjustable pliers. Then pulled the cores out when the plastic started to give.

Not sure ´yet if the print head or the cores still work. At least the core lifting switch is broken. But other than some nicks and scratches on the print head plastics, it looks like we got off lightly.

20210223_153236.thumb.jpg.c61d91656c75a2297041f57b1074fd6e.jpg20210225_094005.thumb.jpg.bddc0727b850c9723ef5c31869f1fe24.jpg20210225_144247.thumb.jpg.c8dca932aaf70e079c51106ac5e7dc2e.jpg

As a side note, I find it rather perplexing that the UMS5 does not have crash detection. I do believe the TMCs they use, do have this implemented on the hardware. Considering that a Prusa, that's quite a lot cheaper, has a really good crash detection system!

The reason should be very simple: The print object or parts of it have lost their adhesion to the heating bed and have been carried away. This causes the nozzle to stick to the printing part, but the stepper continues to convey material because it does not notice anything. The material can no longer come down through the nozzle, but the pressure increases continuously. It burns its way up along the hot nozzle - and quickly pours in your printhead.

Digibike

• Like 1

I feel your pain, we had the same thing happen to us about three days after getting our machine (S3) last year. Made a huge mess, bent sheet metal pieces and everything, even blew open the front plastic cover. Ultimaker wound up sending us a whole new print head with two new nozzles in it. At the time they said they never saw anything like it.

IMG_0589.thumb.JPG.9ad878e5ff28292a6694bc971c6459a9.JPGIMG_0587.thumb.JPG.d5ae8f355b3d5a66ba6cf79f9d635c0f.JPGIMG_0588.thumb.JPG.566189057dd7c3d1ec965ce7e115448d.JPG

you both Win, I only lost, my Olson-Ruby extruder.  Yes, loss of adhesion with Nylon Carbon Fiber was my problem.