Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
viralata

First tests of architectural prints

Hello,

I'm an architect, passionnate about Blender, so it didn't took me long to fall into 3D printing :-P

Here are the first tests I did after printing downloaded model to test, the pictures are not so great, and the layers are not so visible in reality:

First test for overhangs:

20130530_012.jpg

A print of an old blender model, and the render of the same model. I printed it in 2 sizes the big one took 8 hours, the small 7 minutes in fast low quality. Once again, I wanted to test the overhangs ability, and I was impressed:

20130620_014.jpg

village6.jpg

And then a test for a workshop I may attend (I will organize workshops about the use of 3D printing for architects later anyway), to see how fast a small nice model can be printed for the people to take their model home. 10 minutes in low quality, 20 in normal, 25 mm long. No support needed :eek:

20130620_015.jpg

Nice work. I've just started experimenting now with the new 'LAYBRICK' filament that is basically printable stone. I've had good results with it, though not yet quite what they advertise. I'm still impressed with my results and I think it would be great stuff for architectural prints.

Cheers,

Troy.

love the "desert structures" .. we get a lot of student-architects in and would love to show off your models to them (printed in laybrick / sandstone filament).

Would you care to share some of your work(files) with the community so people can see what is possible and to spark their imagination ?

demo3dmodels @ fablab013.nl

grtz,

Pete

I would be happy to share my work under a Creative Common licence, I just have to take the time to choose the models that work.

You can check my site there to see some of the things I would like to print, if I manage it :smile:

some example of my design classes with Blender

some videos I did

By the way, I have to test this laybrick filament.

I'm launching a fablab around my countryside (www.chantierlibre.org), just the beginning of it, we have a shapeoko cnc router too, so be sure I will keep in touch.

Here are some other tests. I still use some old models, as I have no time to design new ones for printing those days.

A raw earth house, from a very old image I did in Blender, printed very well. I just changed the roof as it was too flat:

maison1.jpg

20130624_008.jpg

20130624_010.jpg

The following one was more tricky, it is an exemple of quick sketch design with the subsurf modifier I did for my book about Blender:

2-05exsubsurf.png

It needed a lot of support, and as I forgot to add a raft, the two small feet went away during the printing. The bottom, with all the supports needed a lot of sanding, and the othe parts just small sanding:

20130623_001.jpg

Once sanded:

img_0788.jpg

And here is the inside of the small round house, to show that I had no trouble even without support.

img_0802.jpg

It depends of the models: The first earth houses had no wall thickness, so I had to use a solidify modifier, which is very quick.

The other ones where printed just like that, but the strange subsurf house lost its feet on the way because they where too tiny, so I will have to change it. And the bottom of it, wit all the supports was very ugly before sanding.

Thanks Gr5.

Some technical details:

printed at 0.1mm height, 20mm/s, 195°C, with ooze shield and wipe and prime tower.

The tower was not firmly enough stucked and broke down. Even with the ooze shield, it's much better to stay aside and remove manualy some of the oozing to be sure. As the printing lasted 38 hours, some parts were left like that and and some white want into the transparent.

I have some holes betwen the two materials in the "voronoi" wall, not sure if it's only because the transparent is underextruder a bit.

Thanks for the nice comments.

@ Daid, all of my work (except some very rare cases) is under CC-by-sa, so feel free to use it, just crediting me in a sort of way.

I know I should put them on youmagine, it's just that most of them have some things I would like to improve before publishing it (for example the last model would be much better printed in several parts but I wanted to try it in one print), and as I have no time to do it, they stay useless on my computer :oops:. Maybe during the hollidays...