Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Mathieu Kunetz

Holes appearing on STL model are ommited at impression.

Hello everyone.

I designed a base for the arena for one of my experiments (see screenshot) but when I print it with my UM2+, the holes are completely ommited by the printer.  

5a9fe28195700_Sanstitre.thumb.png.19e7d3f4f1a731079a5f4227182d4711.png

As you can see, the holes are clearly visible and taken into account on Cura, yet are not present on the printed product (not a sigle trace is visible actually).

Did anybody have encoutered this type of issue in the past and if yes, did you find the cause / solution to this type issue.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

check the model after slicing in the "Layer view". This is the drop down in the top right corner which in your screen shot says now "Solid view". There you will probably see that Cura ignores the holes. It is a good idea to always check the layer view before printing.

I guess the model was not exported properly or that you made a small mistake in your CAD tool. You can check .stl files with netfabb for example (the free trial version is fine):

https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/overview

Thanks to both of you!

"Layer view" indeed revealed that Cura ignores holes, I'm installing netfabb right now.

31 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

You may also have "Remove all holes" checked. That is in mesh fixes. Also, not sure if the model is manifold, so no matter what you do, Cura may be trying to cap it. I have never had it ignore holes.

Where is the "Remove all holes" options (and mesh fixes in general) ? I can't seem to find these on my Cura and I think it's the problem (one of my other model also have no holes in the layer view) Edit: found it but it is unchecked unfortunately.

Edited by Mathieu Kunetz

Something is wrong with your model.  Was it created in sketchup?  If so zoom into the walls of those holes and right click on each one and "reverse faces" if the wall is gray such that all the walls are white.

Also look at your part in "xray" mode in cura - any red areas are a problem and need to be repaired.

You could also try repairing your model using netfabb free repair service:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Also like nicolinux says - ALWAYS check your model in layer view before you print it.

12 hours ago, gr5 said:

Something is wrong with your model.  Was it created in sketchup?  If so zoom into the walls of those holes and right click on each one and "reverse faces" if the wall is gray such that all the walls are white.

Also look at your part in "xray" mode in cura - any red areas are a problem and need to be repaired.

You could also try repairing your model using netfabb free repair service:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Also like nicolinux says - ALWAYS check your model in layer view before you print it.

I think that was the problem yes! I hadn't check the faces insides the holes. I remade the model and it prints fine now.

Thanks for your answers.