Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Oj00

Password Protecting Printer on Network

Hi, 

Is it possible to set a password to protect accessing the printers over the network? We've just recently connected ours to the network to allow remote monitoring, but I don't want anybody on site being able to connect and potentially print/watch prints. 

Thanks, 

Did you find a solution to this?

I just set up a UM3e on our campus network, and it seems to be accessible to anyone.

I thought there was an extra validation step - such as having to confirm first prints from any new PC, directly on the UM control panel, but I can't seem to find that option.

Resetting Cura Connect hasn't helped either.

Thanks!

If you have the UM3 or UM3X, when you hook up a new computer to the printer, it requires you to confirm on the printer screen itself, that you're willing to let that computer be used with the printer. This should prevent anyone who is not physically present with the printer from getting access.

That's what I thought...

but I just installed Cura on 2 new machines (laptop and desktop) and both were able to submit prints that started without confirmation on the printer.

I tried resetting "Cura Connect" on the printer, but that didn't helped, I'm not sure that's related to the access control system...

any solution for this ???

since the latest firmware, everybody who has the IP of the printer can connect 'Cura Connect' via a browser and stop/pauze printjobs ...

I have no problem with people who check what is being printed, but I do find it an issue they can stop a print job...

This is quite an important feature in an educational environment (such as a university). Surely the Ultimaker designers can introduce basic password protection into the network/wifi connection.

Is there any plans to implement some form of network security?