Ultimaker 3 Print Hood falling

neo-ninja

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Print Hood falling

Hey Guys,

My Magnetic print hood keeps falling mid print. It’s happened since I had a pretty big fail where I had to clean out the hood area. But it’s really clean now. The magnets do click shut but there is maybe 0.5mm gap round the top sides.

when the head skips around it just drops down causing chaos.

any ideas? I can’t work out why it’s not staying shut.

your fan bracket not closing properly might also be related to your problems with active leveling (other thread). The measurement pcb is located in this bracket, and when it moves during leveling, this will influence the results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomnagel said:

your fan bracket not closing properly might also be related to your problems with active leveling (other thread). The measurement pcb is located in this bracket, and when it moves during leveling, this will influence the results. 

that is good to know. :)

This is fixed actually. I just bent it back slightly and all works great now. But bed levelling is still screwed

3 hours ago, tomnagel said:

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

that is good to know. :)

Can we get a photo of the front of your bed at eye level? If the heated plate is taller than the lip of at the front center of the base plate, your bed is too high. 

neo-ninja,

my UM3+ just had a jam during a print.  The rear bed leveling nut fell off, causing the head to crash at the front of the print bed and then proceeded to fill the print head with molten PLA.  That took forever to clear and it caused the wires that connect to the bed sensor to pull out.  I am wondering if that is why your bed leveling doesn't work.  Now I need to find out where the wires connected to so I can repair the damage.  Is there an exploded diagram of the UM3 anywhere?

I don't think there is a public assembly manual for the UM3 anywhere.  There is one I believe for the UM2 but not UM3.  I'm sure @fbrc8-erin could help you with where those wires go.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Print Hood falling

Hi, GorillaBob...that actually probably happened in the opposite order. If the bed thumbscrew was loose enough to fall out, your active leveling wouldn't let you print (if the active leveling was turned on). Most likely after the fan bracket opened or the print came off the bed, the lump of filament and bracket caught on the bed and continued trying to move, and there goes the screw.

Is it the plastic connector end of the wires you're trying to get back in, or the end at the white rectangular board in the metal bracket?

Edited by fbrc8-erin

The print, well at least the beginning of it, was still on the bed and the fan bracket was only partially open.  Only open as far as the extruding plastic could push it.  After taking apart the print head assembly, and several hours of trying to clear the two cores, I was able to put the print head back together.  However the two cores didn't survive, there was way too much plastic surrounding them to be able to clear it all without damaging the heat break section.  Now it is back together but when I was done, the small metal piece was left over in the parts tray.  I haven't been able to find any diagram that shows where it goes but my assumption is that it belongs somewhere on the top of the right extruder section.  I have no idea where the red wire in the middle of the plastic lump was previously located.  Bed leveling is not working and I have been using it set manually but the left extruder has been shredding filament almost every print I have tried.  I tried cleaning the print core to see if it was clogged but the filament came out pristine. 

20180411_130747.jpg

20180326_143052.jpg

20180326_143043.jpg

The metal piece goes over in slot 2 and is part of the lifting mechanism on the right hand side. You may want to reach out to your reseller/support for instructions on how to get it back in.

In the lump of plastic, that looks like it's not a wire. It's the reddish silicone ring that goes around the bottom part of the Print Core. 

oh, that makes sense.  At least I can stop trying to figure out where that wire goes!  Thanks.