Mark2 Multiextruder on the UM Extended +

Posted · Mark2 Multiextruder on the UM Extended +

Hi UM Community,

I thought I would share my experience upgrading an Ultimaker 2 Extended + with the Mark2 Dual Extrusion upgrade. At the end of this post I have a list of open questions. Hopefully someone can comment on them (@tinkergnome , @foehnsturm).

I bought an official Extrusion upgrade kit as well as the expansion board.

I followed the steps 1-6 listed at https://magnetic-tool-changer.com/step-1-getting-the-parts.html

Some modifications and clarifications were needed:

Step 3:

To get the new stepper motor to the control board it was required to extend the stepper motor cable since this is a taller printer. I bought some JST XH 3S 4-pin connectors to make the extension cable

The official extrusion upgrade kit extruder housing comes with an aluminum backplate now. So when attaching it to the feeder-mount.stl the screws needed to be countersunk to fit m3 screws under the aluminum backplate.

Step 4:

The m3 holes on the expansion board holder were too small had to be drilled out

Step 5:

It is not specifically mention which firmware to select during step 5. I selected firmware: Tinker-Mark2-extended-expansion-board-17.09.hex

In addition the following needed to be modified for the extended Ultimaker:

modified cura printer definition: Mark2_for_Ultimaker2.def.json
        "machine_height": {
            "default_value": 305

I also modified the backplate image and definition to include "extended"

The printer would shutdown when heating both nozzles. I had to modify the power budget: total was reduced to 100W

Step 6:

calibration:
x -13
y -5

park position:

moved y only slightly to have 1mm between magnet and print head

Next Steps:

Build a second filament spool holder, recommendations welcome

Generally organize filament

Open Questions:

In order to disable the second print head for single material prints, a second printer profile is used which has only one extruder? This is also how to reactivate the setting "Print Sequence One at a Time"

In order to stop the Ultimaker from shutting down I had to modify the power budget. I read on the forum that some buy a larger PSU, but I cant find details. Is a 280W PSU sufficient?
https://www.reichelt.de/Netzteile-Festspannung/MW-GST280A24/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=171084&GROUPID=4950&artnr=MW+GST280A24&trstct=pol_0

Is there any way to get a bed leveling sensor into the Mark2 firmware?

Hope this post helps someone else upgrading their Ultimaker to a Mark2

Many thanks to tinkergnome and foehnsturm for their work on the Mark2!

best

Jesse

• Like 1

Hi @rhaven, thank you for your post and welcome to the forums! How is the Mark 2 upgrade working for you?

For your information, I have edited your post to 'activate' the mentions of @tinkergnome and @foehnsturm . When you write @[username] you have to click the name from the dropdown list to enable the link to the user database. This is the difference between creating a mention and just writing something with @... 

Just so you know :)

Regarding the filament spool holder, what are your requirements?

Posted (edited) · Mark2 Multiextruder on the UM Extended +

Hi @SandervG, thank you for the reply and edit.

The Mark2 is working great. The speed switching between heads is awesome and the new firmware is great! Only the power issue seems to be giving me concern. (could be my imagination but the LEDs seem to flicker )

I attached an image of the printer as it runs at the moment. The printer is on a shelf that I can slide in and close the door on. This leaves no space on the sides. The only space I would have is on the back if I want to attach the spool to the printer. One idea would be to similar to how the the Mark2 documentation (image below) has the second spool holder, however instead having both spools on one board vertically.

Current setup

image.jpg

Best

Jesse

Documentation:

10.jpg

Edited by rhaven
    clarifying images

Hi @rhaven,

Great to see Mark2 working for you so well.

I've no access to my printer this week. 280W doesn't add  such a great margin to the standard PSU (220W)  but it seems the most you can get at reichelt and the like. There are PSUs with 24V/15A (aliexpress etc). Don't know if they are much better.

Regarding he bed leveliing sensor, @tinkergnome is the man to answer.  For single material prints you also can just use the standard UM2+ Extended Cura profile. But again Tinkergnome knows the details.

Posted (edited) · Mark2 Multiextruder on the UM Extended +
    10 hours ago, rhaven said:

Open Questions:

In order to disable the second print head for single material prints, a second printer profile is used which has only one extruder? This is also how to reactivate the setting "Print Sequence One at a Time"

Yes, create a second profile with a standard UM2. Then you also get the complete build space. Don’t forget to remove the 2nd head in this mode. There’s a magnetic hanger STL for this.

In order to stop the Ultimaker from shutting down I had to modify the power budget. I read on the forum that some buy a larger PSU, but I cant find details. Is a 280W PSU sufficient?
    https://www.reichelt.de/Netzteile-Festspannung/MW-GST280A24/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=171084&GROUPID=4950&artnr=MW+GST280A24&trstct=pol_0

I have two printers running with this one:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Qualit-t-24-V-15A-3D-Prnter-Ultimaker2-Netzteil-F-r-Ultimaker-2-UM2-Erweiterte/32832288123.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ZrP37J

360W, all heaters running on full power, no issues with power anymore. Even exchanged the hotend heaters for 50W ones, they heat up lightning fast now. 

Don‘t know.

But also have no need. After two years that’s routine and only need to do it every few months.

Edited by conny_g
    • Like 2

The official extrusion upgrade kit extruder housing comes with an aluminum backplate now. So when attaching it to the feeder-mount.stl the screws needed to be countersunk to fit m3 screws under the aluminum backplate.

AFAIK you don't need the aluminum plate. Just leave it away.

Well, the underlying Marlin that the Ultimakers use is quite old - i doubt that there's an easy way to integrate such things.

And as conny_g said - the demand is very low - the buildplate position of the UM2 is very stable and rarely needs a calibration.

Are you swapping the glass plates very often or why do have a need for such a sensor?

What's your requirement - only calibration of the z-position or true active / auto leveling?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, conny_g said:

Great, thanks @conny_g!

12 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Are you swapping the glass plates very often or why do have a need for such a sensor?

What's your requirement - only calibration of the z-position or true active / auto leveling?

@tinkergnome, I am using a buildtak magnetic buildplate, which I remove after every print, and am having issues with bed adhesion. On parts of the bed the parts adhere well and on others they warp right off. I have been trying to mitigate this by recalibrating the buildplate, but often I have sections of the buildplate too close to the nozzle and others just right. Seems that the buildplate is not flat. I figured that if a bed leveling feature were there this would solve the issue. Such as

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I really want to utilize the sensor in my UM3 head   just because it's there and why not.   on the other hand,   it's super easy to manually level the UM2 plate.

I guess me resurrecting this thread from the dead is a clear sign that auto/active leveling is not in demand.  😋

• Like 1