Your current settings in a text file >>> here it is !!!!!!!

JCD

Posted (edited) · Your current settings in a text file >>> here it is !!!!!!!

Instructions

- Copy the text (except the instructions at the beginning) of this log file and paste it at the end of your EndG-code in the Machine Settings window of your printer
- After that all your GCode files will have at the end a complete list of your current settings for each print

here a picture of a few lines of the result

CaptureGCode2.thumb.JPG.3a6ee87bac8f455fceaed51428ae7a34.JPG

Very useful if you want to compare settings with someone else

Also if you are analysing results vs settings, just put them in a spreadsheet to focus on the changing parameters very easily

Notice there is a slight hierarchical tab to see the 'children' parameters (depending from a 'parent' one)

Enjoy !!

CurrentSettingsAtTheEndOfTheGCode.log

Edited by JCD
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted · Your current settings in a text file >>> here it is !!!!!!!

Good solution to a complex problem. I have tried numerous times to capture profile data so I could compare the changes I made while experimenting with new settings. CURA saves fragments of profiles in numerous files and folders making this frustratingly difficult!

Once the settings are captured in a specific order, I open two profiles to compare in notebook++ and use the compare extension to find the changes. 

To get the txt file, I opened the fdmprinter.def.json file (it is in the definitions folder of the Cura folder- for me in windows7 in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.3\resources\definitions) with PSPad and with a lot of search and replace I did the trick !!!

To have a more convinient way it would be nice to build a Python script to do this in a lot easier way

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCD said:

To get the txt file, I opened the fdmprinter.def.json file (it is in the definitions folder of the Cura folder- for me in windows7 in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.3\resources\definitions) with PSPad and with a lot of search and replace I did the trick !!!

To have a more convinient way it would be nice to build a Python script to do this in a lot easier way

I'll look into it and the py script too

I have made a python script to get the updated information !

- After de-zipping, put the file in a folder linked to cura (myself in windows 7 and Cura 4.3 I put it in C:\Users\Proprio\AppData\Local\cura  (proprio is the username) )

- At the begining of the file modify the CuraProgramFolder variable to the correct path for your own system and save it

- click on the file to launch it and you get  in the same folder of the script a file named TxtToCopyInStartOrEndGCode.txt and the content appear in a window (at least on the windows7 system I have)

- You can select the whole content and paste it either in the startGcode or the endGCode in the Cura App (Settings>>Printer>>manage printers then click on the machine settings button>> the window with start and end GCode)

After that, the Gcode will content all the settings value used for each slicing

getCuraSettings.zip

Edited by JCD

Here is a new version of the python script, with indentation  (there is a slight hierarchical tab to see the 'children' parameters - depending from a 'parent' one) and a picture of the begining of the resulting file

SettingsCapture.thumb.JPG.d4af54b2d43bb4c9462e92ee4354b77a.JPG

and picture of part of the resulting GCode file after slicing

GCodeCapture.thumb.JPG.62ead993df4e14bbccc1d65bc8655e3f.JPG

getCuraSettings.zip

Edited by JCD
    adding pict of GCode file, new version py script
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JCD said:

Here is a new version of the python script, with indentation  (there is a slight hierarchical tab to see the 'children' parameters - depending from a 'parent' one) and a picture of the begining of the resulting file

SettingsCapture.thumb.JPG.d4af54b2d43bb4c9462e92ee4354b77a.JPG

getCuraSettings.zip 1.13 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry, I hadn't had the time to look into it myself yet.

It's amazing, thank you!

Just wanted to post how helpful that python script was! Thank you!

Thanks a lot, very useful.

Do you think it would be possible to make another script to extract only the settings from Gcode, with txt, csv or xls format ?

Not a script, but I've written a stand alone .exe that reads the Gcode and saves it out as a text file.

Screenie_1.png

Screenie_2.png

I can't wait to see it

You can also use this Plug-IN to add the possibility to save your settings under the HTML format via the function SAVE of Cura : https://github.com/johnnygizmo/CuraSettingsWriter

SaveHtml.jpg

@Cuq or @JCD,

This plug-in and script are wonderful. However, they only capture the settings for a single extruder. I have a Ultimaker S5 with dual extruders. Is there a way to capture the settings for both extruders?

have the look to this discussion , we are on the same subject

On 5/27/2020 at 1:47 PM, Cuq said:

You can also use this Plug-IN to add the possibility to save your settings under the HTML format via the function SAVE of Cura : https://github.com/johnnygizmo/CuraSettingsWriter

SaveHtml.jpg

@Cuq - thanks for mentioning this, it's just what I was looking for! However, it's not working for me. I'm new to all of this, so maybe I did something wrong. I downloaded the files. Made sure to unblock them (Windows 10) and then extracted all the files. Renamed the folder to "CuraSettingsWriter" and then copied the folder to "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.6\plugins". I restarted Cura, and when I choose "Save to File" I don't have the "Cura Settings Documentation (*.html)" option. Thoughts, or can you point me to where I might be able to get some help? Much appreciated!

This version was made two years ago , so some modification must be made to be reconized by the current release of cura.  I recommand to switch to my fork https://github.com/5axes/CuraSettingsWriter

you will find a curapackage ready to install (Just download it and drag and drop into your cura windows) https://github.com/5axes/CuraSettingsWriter/blob/master/Package/HTMLCuraSettings-v7.0.0-2020-06-12T16_31_19Z.curapackage

Edited by Cuq

@cuq - Thanks! That worked, much appreciated!

On 6/13/2020 at 5:14 AM, Cuq said:

This version was made two years ago , so some modification must be made to be reconized by the current release of cura.  I recommand to switch to my fork https://github.com/5axes/CuraSettingsWriter

you will find a curapackage ready to install (Just download it and drag and drop into your cura windows) https://github.com/5axes/CuraSettingsWriter/blob/master/Package/HTMLCuraSettings-v7.0.0-2020-06-12T16_31_19Z.curapackage

@Cuq Thank you very much for your work. It works well!

Now available from the marketplace, no need to download and drag&drop the package in Cura

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/HTMLCuraSettings

When I install the plugin and restart Cura there is no 'Save to' choice under file. So no way to export the settings.

I have the same issue, after install from marketplace I don't see any new option to save under the File menu