inconsistent infill ultimaker 3+

Posted · inconsistent infill ultimaker 3+

Hi, I have many printing problem with my Ultimaker 3extended since few weeks. Sometime the external skin doesnt print, the infill is inconsistent. I use simplify3d and cura and try many settings.

my filament is grey PLA with 2.72 mm diameter (economical filament, but I use a lot of filament, 8 to 12 kg per month), i try from 100% to 120% print speed and temprature from 220 to 240 for extruder. Print bed is 70 C. The filament seem to slip sometime. And the printcore 2 is unavailable because it is stuck with material. I'm unabe to clean after many hours of hot and cold pull. 

Do you have any idea?

I think my printcores are scrap!

Thank for all your advice.

the last picture is my biggest print (in five parts) and I need to work on precision.... It's not glue perfectly...IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.be5572bf2bda2cb2c38fb48cdd78cf64.JPGIMG_0061.thumb.JPG.b78390a265edb992e31fee6fa9e53a45.JPGIMG_0062.thumb.JPG.069f7e4ac4f4b343feaed7aee931310a.JPGIMG_0065.thumb.JPG.a1c4de2dedde9f4cff027b06acca7ac5.JPG

Yves 

46 minutes ago, YvesRossignol said:

Hi, I have many printing problem with my Ultimaker 3extended since few weeks. Sometime the external skin doesnt print, the infill is inconsistent. I use simplify3d and cura and try many settings.

my filament is grey PLA with 2.72 mm diameter (economical filament, but I use a lot of filament, 8 to 12 kg per month), i try from 100% to 120% print speed and temprature from 220 to 240 for extruder. Print bed is 70 C. The filament seem to slip sometime. And the printcore 2 is unavailable because it is stuck with material. I'm unabe to clean after many hours of hot and cold pull. 

Do you have any idea?

I think my printcores are scrap!

Thank for all your advice.

the last picture is my biggest print (in five parts) and I need to work on precision.... It's not glue perfectly...IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.be5572bf2bda2cb2c38fb48cdd78cf64.JPGIMG_0061.thumb.JPG.b78390a265edb992e31fee6fa9e53a45.JPGIMG_0062.thumb.JPG.069f7e4ac4f4b343feaed7aee931310a.JPGIMG_0065.thumb.JPG.a1c4de2dedde9f4cff027b06acca7ac5.JPG

Yves 

There are things here that I am not sure of....

1. What brand? That can have a huge influence on quality and requirements.

2. Print speeds of 100% to 120%....that percentage3 is of what? Print speeds are measured in mm/s

3. Have you cleaned out your nozzles because at those temperatures you listed may have baked the plastic a bit. I suggest a thorough cleaning with hot pulls and cold/atomic pulls.

4. What material is stuck in Print core 2?

This would be a great start to diagnosing the issues.

filament.ca

econofill pla (16$ CDN / kg !)

extrusion multiplier into simplify, and débit (flow rate) in Cura (I see a problem, it is just for first layer in cura...)

nozzle clean, each time

material stuck in print core it's "breakable"

the fist picture: gcode made by cura at 120% of flow rate... (default print speed is 60mm/s or 3600mm/min)

the two others: made by simplify 3d... at 100% extrusion multiplier and 120%... with filament diameter to 2.72mm (print speed 80 mm/s)

Thanks for all

Yves

Posted (edited) · inconsistent infill ultimaker 3+

Cannot really help you with a cheapo filament. But, I do know that many of them have very bad tolerances and do not stay within a range of diameter that makes for a really good flow. If it gets thicker in some parts, it will start to clog and not let material pass through.

Still do not understand the extrusion stuff because you mix Cura and simplify in one statement. Sorry.

Breakable material? Whose?

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

I understand the bad tolerance and i see it in action on this spool. The breakable filament is from ultimaker. I dont find it in other brand.

I will find and make more test and reply to this topic with my experience... if i find...

thank you sir.

@YvesRossignol - you have some pretty severe underextrusion.  You are extruding at about 50% of requested.  There are many possible causes.  

A) The most common is printing too cold and too much volume.  Are you printing at the same layer heights (thicker layer heights means you are printing more volume), same speeds, same line widths as you used to when things were fine?  I'm guessing yes but still.

B) The second most common is something is wrong with the feeder.  I'd test it's strength.  Insert pla only half way into the bowden and fight the feeder by pulling hard - the feeder should be able to hold 4-7kg before slipping.  This is a critical test and will save you many days of debugging.

C) The third most common problem is problems with the core.  Try putting your second AA core in the left slot to see if you get any better results.  Most specifically the nozzle can get clogs or gunk in it or the inner walls of the nozzle can get build up especially after many spools of printing.  The easiest thing to do is just buy another core but if you have plenty of time and not much money you can take it apart and burn out the tip.  Doing so will void the warranty of the core so only as a last result: 

• Like 1

Thank for information

a) yes same parameter

b) I'M able to pull the filament too easily maybe less than 4 kg....

c) I think the silicon insert is burn... where can I find new one... it's ok for the garantee....

I think the feeder's gear are dirty but I can't see, can I have more force for the filament... (b) maybe the filament is more weak (surface more less hard)

Do you have replacement printcore (last option) where I can have good printcore (in fact very good print core)

for the breakaway is it the AA printcore... maybe my mistake....

I have print more than 120 days.... since my beginning and I have an accident with nylon (910) the printcore lower end was stuck but nylon... and my printer head was damaged by this accident a little bit (the bracket is never completly closed since the repair by less than 0.5 millimeter. 

My problem begin with the printer unable to do auto-level because of a sensor problem (there is a problem with sensor message)

- i do manual leveling many time and now it seem ok

Yves

3 hours ago, YvesRossignol said:

for the breakaway is it the AA printcore... maybe my mistake....

No, that is correct. I was just checking.....The Print BB Print core is really only for PVA...

OK, this is a very important piece of info here about the printhead being slightly damaged. It may be that the tip of the nozzle is damaged and causing clogs. Also, here is a link for something to print (hopefully) to hold the fan bracket closed.

And, there may be some nylon left in the core. If co, you really need to get temps slightly above the nylon at minimum and do your hot and cold pulls with nylon or even PC if you have it. I have gone as high as 270 cleaning out nylon.

If you try to print with a lower temp material such as PLA in a core with even a tiny bit of high temp material contamination, it will clog very, very strongly and quickly.

• Like 1

I think I have find my problem, the silicon tube is melten into 2 of my printcores (I have 3 printcore AA). Can you tell me where I can have a replacement part? I will probably change the hotend and try to recover the electronic pieces

2018-06-17 09.54.12.jpg

2018-06-17 10.03.56.jpg

Dear kmanstudios, your advices are very very important. Thanks, I have made a lot of mistake without you.

Yves

Just now, YvesRossignol said:

Dear kmanstudios, your advices are very very important. Thanks, I have made a lot of mistake without you.

Yves

You are quite welcome :)

Also, wow....that silicone is nutso to have melted like that. You should get replacement parts, provided still within warranty, from your reseller. As far as I know, silicone should not melt with the temps rated for the nozzles themselves. That means less than 275C. I believe.

Thanks again, I will try to have a replacement part from reseller but the silicon is "glue" in place. I think I will have to change nozzle and silicon tube. Any web site you know for that.... 

Yves 

@gr5 Can you tell me how I can have more strenght force from the extruder??? The filament seem to slip for me. 

Thanks for all your help. 

19 minutes ago, YvesRossignol said:

Thanks again, I will try to have a replacement part from reseller but the silicon is "glue" in place. I think I will have to change nozzle and silicon tube. Any web site you know for that.... 

Yves 

If within warranty, it should just be replaced. The idea is that you should never have to take one apart. I recommend taking apart damaged things to learn more. I figure it is dead, so what is the harm? But not much more.

Hi, I come back with my experience into this problem. first of all, Printcore are not into warranty. Second, printcore is one part. Cannot have nozzle and ptfe tube. third, ptfe molt a lower temperature that you believe...

Unfortunatly, the only one answer I had... you will have to pay... ok, it's the hard way to understand. So... thank to George Robert from his store... (gr5.com)

and thanks for all, 

Yves

To be sure.... George help me a lot. Thanks you kmanstudios,  these two guys want to help. Nobody else want to help except for money here in canada.