Issues with Ultimaker S5

Abdu

Posted · Issues with Ultimaker S5

Hi

1)So i got a brand new Ultimaker S5. But i have been noticing something unusual. S5 has a feature to pause the print if the spool is over. i had kept a print last night which had 1 hour 15 mins remaining.

I woke up in the morning, expecting a neat and finished print on the build plate. But guess what, it said my filament spool was empty, however i had a full PLA filament spool. I selected continue printing, and it said 1hr 8 mins remains.

This is the third time this happend in a week. 

PS i turn off the lights of the room where my UMS5 is. whenever i dont turn lights off, it prints well. pretty strange.

2) so after the print starts, and few layers are printed, i selected TUNE. and decreased fan speed from 100% to 52%. left it for an hour, the print seemed to change its look after some more layers. i checked again, the fan was on 100% automatically. I again changed it to 52%, and after 10 mins or so, it was back to 100%. I think it brings it back to 100% after every time it switches the print cores.

Expecting some help from the community members.

Hi Abdu,

Thank you for your post. 

6 hours ago, Abdu said:

PS i turn off the lights of the room where my UMS5 is. whenever i dont turn lights off, it prints well. pretty strange.

That is indeed strange, and I'm inclined to think it is a coincidence, not something related. When you resume the print, does it continue and finish as it should? Have you updated the firmware since you got your Ultimaker S5? Is it Ultimaker PLA or a third party PLA? And do you use the default load/unload configuration the system offers, or do you load/unload manually? At what speeds are you printing?

6 hours ago, Abdu said:

2) so after the print starts, and few layers are printed, i selected TUNE. and decreased fan speed from 100% to 52%. left it for an hour, the print seemed to change its look after some more layers. i checked again, the fan was on 100% automatically. I again changed it to 52%, and after 10 mins or so, it was back to 100%. I think it brings it back to 100% after every time it switches the print cores.

It could be that in the gcode there are commands that reset the fan speed. Have you considered changing the fan speed in Cura before you start a print?

After i plugged an internet cable into my printer the day i got it, it requested for an update, which i allowed. dont know if thats the latest one.

I loaded the filament using ultimaker's load/unload config, and i am printing at 30mm/s

thanks

Can you tell me which Firmware version you are running specifically? You can find it under; Preferences > Settings > About this printer > firmware version

Hi

My firmware version is 5.0.19.20180622.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Abdu said:

What kind of lights do you have in that room? LED, light bulbs, fluorescence tubes?

Hi

I use tubes. I supposed that the feeder uses some sort of sensor which might be sensing the filament bieng there, because this happened only on nights i turned the lights off, and frame brightness to 0.

Thanks

The light thing is a coincidence I'm sure.

You can disable the filament sensor if you want.  It's in the menus on the touch screen.  Mine has been on and it has helped me more than caused problems so my sensor is enabled.  You can even disable the sensor part way through a print.

Regarding the fan - I'm not sure - your idea about changing nozzles is interesting.  Look at the fan settings carefully in cura - typically the fan is off for the bottom layer and then turns on a little more each layer until around layer 6.  Search cura for "regular fan speed at layer". Just type "fan" in the search box above the settings.

So by default it will do 0%, 16%, 33%, etc until 100% on 6th layer.  This I assume overrides what you program in TUNE menu.

I don't know but it does sound like a mild bug.  Really if you know you want 50% fan you should put that in Cura somewhere.

I suspect cura allows a different fan speed for each core but I never paid attention to that.

• Like 1