First layer of each color is moved when printing with 2 colors

Lone

Posted · First layer of each color is moved when printing with 2 colors

Hi everyone ?

I have a problem when printing with two colors (PLA). The first layer in both color, no matter what layer they are on, are moved about 1-2 mm in Y direction. I have the newest firmware and done the xy calibration. The build plate is not loose and I use the newest Cura. Using 0.4 nozzle on both, and have tried 0.25 as well. The problem is only on two colors. I tried using raft, it does not solve the problem but it helps because the movement is done on the raft, but raft is only one color so the other color will have the wrong moving as well. The modell looks fine in Cura.

Any suggestions?

Using Ultimaker Extended 3

Ingen automatisk alternativ tekst tilgjengelig. Ingen automatisk alternativ tekst tilgjengelig.

Posted · First layer of each color is moved when printing with 2 colors

At first I thought you did the X,Y calibration wrong but now I'm thinking I didn't understand your words.  Do you remember what values you used for the X and Y calibration?  They should have been close to zero.  Maybe 5 at the most?

In that last photo - is that arrow pointing to a brim or is that layer offset from the layers above?  If it's offset then you have some serious amount steps being lost.

First figure out if one axis is slipping or if it's both axes.  Usually only one axis slips.  Then tighten the hell out of the pulleys on that axis.  There are 5 or 6 pulleys to tighten on each axis (not just 4) and usually the one that is slipping is the hardest to get to - the one on the stepper.  But you can push the head around until the screw lines up and get in there with a long hex driver and tighten it very hard such that the steel tool twists a bit.  Really tight!  Tight enough that you are nervous that something will break.

Then also pay a lot of attention to when it switches cores.  It shouldn't hit the tool changer thing on the wall of the printer hard enough to flex it.  and if you hear a loud thud sound that was probably the moment you lost a step.  You might have to recalibrate the tool changing position.  I've never had to do that myself.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · First layer of each color is moved when printing with 2 colors

Hi gr5 and thank you so much for your answer and tips ?

Because this was my first post it took a little while before it was posted, so in the meantime I manage to solve my problem. I dont know what caused it in the first place, but a factory reset did the trick. You are correct about the arrow in the last picture are pointing to the layer offset. In the xy calibration I did not change any numbers, it was fine on 0 on both.

Edit: Today the layer offset came back and I saw that one of the belt were loose, so this actually fixed my problem again.

Edited by Lone