32 bit system

ctdigger

Posted · 32 bit system

I have a 32 bit computer, I have downloaded the latest version for 32 bit. My question: I have an Ender-3 3D printer I just got and when I go to set up the printer there is no Ender model available, so no printer. Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks for the help

Ctdigger

Posted · 32 bit system

The latest 32 bit compatible version that was released by Ultimaker is Cura 2.3.1. That version is about 2 years old, so my memory is a bit foggy. You should be able to add your printer as a "Custom FDM Printer" (from the Other category). But realize that a lot has been changed in the past 2 years!

Posted · 32 bit system

ahoeben, Thank you for the reply. I added the"Custom FDM Printer" but my Ender-3 machine doesn't recognize it, what am I doing wrong? the printer works fine from the sd card, do I unplug the sd card before adding the printer? I am going from my laptop to the printer via USB cable.

Again Thanks for the help.

Ctdigger

Posted · 32 bit system

Cura 2.3 isn't very good at printing over USB to non-Ultimaker printers. It has improved some since two years ago, but it is still problematic for some printers (simply because Ultimaker does not support USB printing anymore). The printer you select from the list of printer models does not influence USB connectivity at all.

If you really want to print over USB from a 32 bit Cura, perhaps it is better to use the "legacy" Cura 15.04.

Posted (edited) · 32 bit system
    3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Cura 2.3 isn't very good at printing over USB to non-Ultimaker printers. It has improved some since two years ago, but it is still problematic for some printers (simply because Ultimaker does not support USB printing anymore). The printer you select from the list of printer models does not influence USB connectivity at all.

If you really want to print over USB from a 32 bit Cura, perhaps it is better to use the "legacy" Cura 15.04.

ahoeben, Sounds like it would be less a hassle to do the build on the computer then save to an SD card then insert SD card into the Ender-3 and print from there. Where do I find the download for "Legacy" 15.04

Thanks again

Edited by ctdigger

Posted · 32 bit system
    3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Posted · 32 bit system

Where do I download Cura 15.04 Legacy?

Posted · 32 bit system
    On 10/30/2018 at 7:07 PM, ahoeben said:

This only support 64 bit. He needs a 32 bit version.

Posted · 32 bit system

This topic is almost a year old and the software list is no longer very helpful but you can get cura 15.X here:

https://gr5.org/Ultimaker_Cura-15.04.06.exe

The last Ultimaker released version of Cura that supported 32 bit versions of Windows is Cura 2.3.1

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/2.3.1

Edited by ahoeben

Posted · 32 bit system

Hello from Greece. I have the same problem. A New Ender 3 v2 and a 32 bit system made me use cura 2.3.1. 

I manually inserted the machine settings as there is no ready Ender 3 v2 profile. This was the easy Part. Allthough the printer has no retraction, temprature or calibration problems from the box (I ve printed ready gcode files with excellent results) the prints have issues. 

1.The ready made slicing profiles of 2.3.1 can't be edited and for a reason I don't understand has lost many of the detailed parameters. 

2. I tried to manually insert parameters but except from the main parameters of speed, quality, shells e.t.c. there is a tone of others adjustments. 

I am facing first layer issues of adhesion and infill and I believe it's the secondary parameters that need to be adjusted. 

I have spent so many hours with youtu.be videos but all videos doesn't expand to that level because their CURA version sets it automatic. But mine not. 

Any help will be aporeciated

Posted · 32 bit system

Cura 2.X isn't really supported.  No bug fixes, sorry.

Usually if you can't get good adhesion on the first layer it's because you don't have enough squish.  Usually fixed not in the slicer but in the way you level.  Is this an auto level printer?  Here's a video about improving adhesion - yeah it's long but it's full of useful stuff.

• Thanks 1

Posted · 32 bit system

I have a Win7 desktop that I use for older software.  I installed Cura 2.3 and then came across the SmartAvionics version (of 4.6?) that he ported to 32 bit.  You can go HERE on Github and scroll down to the download link.

It works alright.  The user interface is also from 4.6.  The screen fonts are hard to read.  All the recent settings are there.  If I switch back and forth between printers it will crash once in a while (but so does 4.8).  The fella that released it used to hang around here but hasn't dropped in for a while.  If you have questions about the version you can probably check with him on Github.

• Like 2

Posted · 32 bit system

hi, i have a question.

i am going to install windows xp 64 sp2.

1. what version of cura should i install?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tags?after=2.3-rc1

2. are there any important improvements that have been made since then?

i am not going to model. i already have models. i am just going to print.

most likely, i will buy a flying bear ghost 5 (but oh I'm going to install a direct extruder).

thank you

Posted · 32 bit system

your question makes no sense.. 

there has been significant changes to UltiMaker Cura since these versions.

also not sure what modeling or not has anything to do with the question as UltiMaker Cura is not modeling software its a slicer.

Posted · 32 bit system
    6 hours ago, ArtsemK said:

i am going to install windows xp 64 sp2.

I'll just get this one out of the way quickly:

Running Windows XP is a bad idea, especially (but not only) if the computer has an internet connection.

There's tons of security holes which have not, and will never be, patched. The last patch was released over five years ago, which was pretty unprecedented, as extended support (the kind where you pay Microsoft a subscription fee) ended over ten years ago. Even without a connection, with so many potential holes for bugs and viruses to exploit and little to stop them, if you're very careful with anything you install or run on it... everyone makes mistakes.

You might also need to be more specific. Are you running Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows XP Home x64 Edition or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? They're different in the software they support (i.e. some programs will run on one but not others).

Cura 2.3 also had an issue where it would stop working every couple of months because its log file would become too large.

Frankly you would be better off finding Cura 15.4.6 somewhere, it was a more mature product than Cura 2.3 was. Just know that Cura 15.4 is 9 years old feature-wise. A lot has improved and changed in 3d printing.

There's also a 32 bit version of Cura 4.11 provided by a 3rd party here:

https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases/tag/20210908

Don't expect support for that version here though.

But I agree with Slashee, running Windows XP is a bad idea to start with. Don't do it. We are not joking.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Posted · 32 bit system

I'm going to throw my experience in as I had to deal with the "32 bit software" problem.  I'm going back 5 years here and I would think that the situation has deteriorated since then.

The CAD software I run (AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop 4.0) is 32 bit.  I wanted to run it on Windows XP as it was best suited for that application.  I wasn't able to find a computer that would run XP well (if at all).  The next best option turned out to be a used 32bit Windows 7 computer ($40 on Craigslist) to which I added the "Windows XP Emulator" package and maxed out the memory.  AutoCAD still isn't real happy with it but it does run.

I installed Cura 2.3 on that system hoping to be able to have a single computer handle both the design and slicing.  Compared to the current version of Cura - 2.3 lags far behind (particularly in the Supports generated).  I ended up getting a Windows 10Pro laptop which I use for everything except design.  Moving files back and forth across the home network works well and I'm satisfied with the 2-computer system.  I never use the Win7 system to connect to the internet.  It just sits waiting for me to scribble something up.  I agree with AHoeben that the 32bit SmartAvionics fork may well be a better choice than UM Cura 2.3.

• Like 2

Posted · 32 bit system
    3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I installed Cura 2.3 on that system hoping to be able to have a single computer handle both the design and slicing.  Compared to the current version of Cura - 2.3 lags far behind (particularly in the Supports generated).  I ended up getting a Windows 10Pro laptop which I use for everything except design.  Moving files back and forth across the home network works well and I'm satisfied with the 2-computer system.  I never use the Win7 system to connect to the internet.

Why not just remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine so you can stick at one computer? Or run Windows XP or 7 in a virtual machine?

Posted · 32 bit system

Why not just remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine so you can stick at one computer?

Not an option with my machines.

The way I have it configured works fine.

Posted · 32 bit system
    On 10/8/2024 at 3:58 AM, Dustin said:

your question makes no sense.

your answer doesn't make sense.

i asked you what specific improvements were made. you didn't answer.

On 10/8/2024 at 9:05 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

security holes

dear, i didn't ask you about the system. i asked about Cura.

as for the system, some unofficial updates and protection from wannacry came out. Possibly I'm wrong. I'll ask some person.

you can say that windows xp code was stolen and leaked online. but this does not apply to my version of windows.

On 10/8/2024 at 10:11 AM, ahoeben said:

Cura 2.3 also had an issue where it would stop working every couple of months because its log file would become too large.

ok, that's a concrete argument. but will the log file grow if i print often, but only 5 models?

On 10/8/2024 at 10:11 AM, ahoeben said:

There's also a 32 bit version of Cura 4.11

thanks, but i don't quite understand the point.

i will have windows xp 64-bit.

maybe 32-bit applications are installed on it.

at least that's what happens in my windows 7.

obviously cura 4 is not suitable for windows xp.

On 10/8/2024 at 2:17 PM, GregValiant said:

Cura 2.3 lags far behind (particularly in the Supports generated).

I never use the Win7 system to connect to the internet.  It just sits waiting for me to scribble something up. 

I agree with AHoeben that the 32bit SmartAvionics fork may well be a better choice than UM Cura 2.3.

I don't understand modeling very well. What specific improvements were made?

I have been using Windows 7 with the Internet for many years - no problems.

I'm talking about cura, because the program is popular and you can always find answers.

On 10/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

remote desktop

On 10/8/2024 at 7:04 PM, GregValiant said:

remote desktop

It's easier to stay on Windows 7.

Posted · 32 bit system

@ArtsemK:

dear, i didn't ask you about the system. i asked about Cura.

Condescension and other forms of hostility directed towards other forum users will not be tolerated. Consider this a warning.

We provided our best information and honest advice. If you wish for further advice or clarification, please post specific questions you would like answered. If you have no further specific questions, then the information and advice we offer is unlikely to change.

Posted · 32 bit system

Slashee_the_CowI forwarded your text (about security) to the person. his answer:

"He is partly right, but there are many BUTs.

Now computers in 90% of cases are behind the provider's NAT + are behind the router's NAT, so it is unrealistic to get to the computer from the outside, for a direct attack you need a white IP and the Internet is connected directly to the computer, or there is a vulnerability in the router through which you can access the local network.

Viruses like those in the 2000s are no longer made by anyone, why waste time, now it's either miners or advertisers. Miners have not worked on XP for many years, advertisers may lie somewhere old ones that work, but I think there are few of them left either. The share of XP users is less than that of Linux, making compatibility with it no longer makes sense. Now the user installs almost all the infection himself, when he downloads all sorts of activators from left sites, pumping up online games, does not disable the checkboxes in the installers, no updates will help here, they often bring Win10 stuffed with advertising programs or miners. By the way, the built-in defender 10 does not protect against them in any way. wannacry was the last major attack that worked on XP, and only on computers connected directly to the Internet. After it, holes were found in the hardware, but without updating the BIOS, they cannot be completely closed. And you can still install Kaspersky 19 on XP, it receives database updates, and you can install a free one. And to prevent infections from getting in from the outside, install a good firewall, configure it to block all incoming connections, and then the protection will be complete. But you need to install an antivirus and a firewall on any OS if the computer is connected directly to the Internet, because sometimes updates are released after the vulnerability has been exploited."

Posted · 32 bit system

1. what version of cura should i install?

I would probably install the latest version of Cura.  I don't know any reason not to.  Here are the official minimum requirements:

Minimum system requirements

• OpenGL 2 compatible graphics card, OpenGL 4.1 for 3D layer view
    • Display resolution 1024 x 768
    • Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64
    • 550 MB available hard disk space
    • 4GB RAM memory