Layer shift in Cura

Eddio

Posted · Layer shift in Cura

I have issues with Cura and layer shifts. I can print some models that are sliced in Cura and they print just great but there are other models that will not print without layer shifts when sliced with Cura. I tried to print a Fang shroud from Thingiverse and I could not get it to print without layer shifts when I sliced it with Cura but I sliced it with IdeaMaker and it printed just fine. I designed another model in Fusion 360 and it will not print when it is sliced in Cura without layer shifts but it prints just fine when sliced in IdeaMaker.

IMG_9205.JPG

Cura is probably doing slightly more violent or faster moves than your other slicer but the printer should be fine with that.  Most likely you have a loose pulley.  Does your printer use belts and pulleys?  If so tighten the hell out of the set screws on the pulleys.  That's one of the most common problems that cause layer shifts like this.

I just tightened them up and I will try it but I would think if it was a loose pulley why the other slicer would not shift and why other prints sliced with Cura would not shift. I did reduce the size in Cura to 25% could that have any effect on the print? I printed this sliced with Cura with no issues

IMG_9206.JPG

Did you read my post?  Don't believe me?  Here read this one:

https://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#shifted

Still don't believe me?  prove it.  Mark the pulleys and shafts with a sharpie and after you get a layer shift go back and check them all.  Usually it's the pulley on the stepper that slips.

What is the brand and model of your printer?

I used to get this a lot on a work UM2 I abused early on. Try lubing up your rods as well for good luck, worked for me. try to make everything as smooth as you can for the machine. try a few drops of sewing oil on each rod. 

P.S. Rotating the model means cura slices it differently regardless of its geometry so might help but may not always be a option. I ended up simply adding oil before each print and printing slower (50mm/s) and that seems to work! I didn't even bother tightening any pulleys on the UM2, but then again I don't know what printer you are using, so may be different.

14 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

I used to get this a lot on a work UM2 I abused early on. Try lubing up your rods as well for good luck, worked for me. try to make everything as smooth as you can for the machine. try a few drops of sewing oil on each rod. 

Yes this is a good idea too. In addition to marking the pulleys with a marker as gr5 says, to check for looseness, also try moving the print head manually when the printer is switched off. It should move smoothly in all directions, without excessive friction. Too much friction will cause the stepper motor to skip steps, or will force the pulleys to slip, whatever comes first. Once they start to slip, next time they will slip easier. (At least, that is my experience with motors and gears in model trains, but the concept is the same. I haven't had problems with my UM2 yet, but I keep the rods well lubricated).

I have the same problem of Y shifting layer with Cura 3.6. I downgraded to 3.5.1 and problem disappeared. I will show you picture tonight. I am printing on a CR10 under Marlin 1.9.1. And the shifting happens when there is phase of filling (very quick movement in x and Y) and Y motors make a  strnage noise then there is a layer shift )

I have a Tevo Tornado it is my first printer and buying a $2500 printer was out of my price range for a first printer. There are a lot of responses to reply to, so here I go. By the way thanks all for your help. I am using Cura 3.6 I could try downgrading to 3.5. I tried marking the pulleys with tape since they are black but it was difficult to tell if there was a shift I can try again. I did tighten the pulleys but they were already pretty tight. I do not have rods to lube I have wheels on extruded aluminum for the X and Y axes and a screw for the Z axis I could lube that. Lastly I printed the rotated model again and it shifted so maybe rotating it 90 degrees is not a fix.

Posted (edited) · Layer shift in Cura

I have the exact same issue - must be cura that cant handle the slicing. I also have Tevo Tornado (black/gold) and wanted to print the cooler fang and the shift is on the exact same layer (this is the 3rd attempt actually as I threw the first one immediately and started to search for a loose belt or other parts). How can this be explained? Still have the G-code file if somebody else want to try to reverse engineer. I used Cura 4.0.0.

IMG_20190506_074259.jpg

Edited by JonasBjo
    Missed the Cura version

Try decreasing your acceleration and lubing up the friction points as suggested above. I have an UM2 and have travel and print accel @ 1500mm/s, if I go too much above 2000-2500mm/s I start getting the layer shifting problems.