Dynamic vs static IP address

DeNescafe

Posted · Dynamic vs static IP address

Currently, the IP address of the Ultimaker S5 is dynamic.

We would love to see the option to make a static IP address in the next firmware update.

Can imagine that more organisations/companies would love to see this as well.

Many thanks, Luuk

As a workaround, you could use static IP address reservations in your DHCP server/service, which works quite well. In bigger companies, your IT department will that for you.

As you have noticed it's not possible yet without a workaround, but it is on the roadmap to be added. 

I can't give you a specific time yet though. Once this is more clear I'll share it with the community. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Dynamic vs static IP address

Is there an update when it will be available?

I have to integrate an UM3 into a Ethernet LAN with fixed IP adresses in a Sub-C net 192.168.nnn.nnn, DHCP must be disabled.

We do not have WLAN nor use DHCP in the compny.

The brand new UM3 can not be really used now.

Edited by stoccarda
    additions

Unfortunately not, maybe with the next firmware. But I guess also not because the next UM3 firmware will be a "clone" of the S5 firmware and there is still no option to set a static address.

That's a pity.

One of the reasons for the UM3 - the ethernet connection - gets lost.

Couldn't you just buy a cheapo router and set it to a static IP address on the current network and then plug only the Ultimaker into that router and set a static lease for the MAC address to the correct IP address?  That way it received the IP from DHCP and is guaranteed to be the same IP address every time.

From the technical point of view it is possible, but not so easy, because the printer is then on another network than the workstation the user uses. So you have also to configure the NAT forwarding to get back to the printer. But yes it is an option, or enable the developer mode, ssh into the printer and set a static IP there. But this should be done by someone who as some experiences with Linux.

@Smithy Is the Linux of the UM3 Ubuntu/Debian based?
    There is just some experience with Fedora,
    knowing the files to edit will be a great help

54 minutes ago, stoccarda said:

There is just some experience with Fedora,
    knowing the files to edit will be a great help

Well, it's still an ugly workaround, but it is not hard. The Linux on the Olimex-board is based on Debian (AFAIK).

You have to (temporary) enable the developer mode and you can use the wifi hotspot (that the printer creates if you start the wifi setup) for the ssh connection, if there is no other network option available.

The printer uses "connman" for the network setup, here are the steps:

• Like 1

I followed the first three steps as suggested by freesbee.

Output of connmanctl services is

*A0 my_SSID wifi_000...

the others WLAN sports in the neighbourhood following,

but not ethernet listed.

Of course Lan-cable is disabled, else i am loosing the SSH connection when enabling it.

connmnctl technologies gives

/net/common/technology/p2p

/net/common/technology/wifi

/net/common/technology/ethernet

Name = Wired

Type  = Ethernet

Powered = False

Connected = False

Tethering = False

Here in my home network with DHCP, I have connected it by cable and enabled Ethernet, the UM3 is known to the router then, meaning that the ethernet port basically works.

I can make some experiments tomorrow, but first some thoughts...

• if you connect it with a cable you should get the LAN service-name listed
    • the LAN connection should even work without a router by using a cross-link cable between a PC and the printer (i'm not sure, if a cross-link cable is still needed nowadays - probably a normal cable would work too)
    • on the other hand: all you need is probably the servicename of the ethernet connection, but i don't know, if it can be configured while it is disabled?
    • the service name for a cable connection is usually "ethernet_<MAC-address>_cable"
    • there's a folder for each configured connection in "/var/lib/connman" that corresponds to the service names, to check:
      ls -d /var/lib/connman/*/

• or use "ifconfig -a" to determine the MAC-address for eth0 and insert it in the service name (without colons and brackets)
    Edited by tinkergnome

Good news :-)
    After establishing a connection with a cable, 'connmanctl services' reported exactly the service name you have expected.

Using

connmanctl config <service> --ipv4 manual <IP address> <netmask> <gateway>

allowed to set the address. I will to test it in a network without DHCP tomorrow.

If the UM3 uses WLAN it was not possible to use the command above, a

'Error ethernet_MAC_cable: Method "SetProperty" with signature "sv" on interface "net.connman.Service" doesn't exist

occurred. 

Hence it looks for me that you must be connected by cable to set a static ethernet IP address.

Thanks to all for great support

I just want to jump in on this topic largely in hopes that I will get notified when/if this changes.

I manage 20+ printers on a private network and just added 2 Ultimaker S5s.  Switching them to static IP via DHCP would be highly desirable.  I will also look into configuring them as static on my router.  I am IT literate enough to the point where I know enough to get myself into trouble, i.e. I will probably destroy my pvt network.

Semi-related, it looks my S5s show up in my router table with their original name (or some version of it).  I give all my printers unique names (thanks Ultimaker) but this assigned name does not come up in my router table.  Sounds petty I know, but picking the name out of the table is easier.

@SandervG Why does Cura not ask me to enter the DNS name of the printer, instead of the IP address?  The name is fixed, but the IP changes.  It makes much more sense for me to enter "ultimakersystem-00306d238850" which works forever, rather than "192.168.1.75" on Monday and "192.168.1.67" on Tuesday and "192.168.1.56" on Wednesday...

Edited by MobyDisk
    Added @ for admin who posted earlier in this topic; fixed spelling error that was confusing