PETG print on Ultimaker S5 with Cura

dureiken

Posted · PETG print on Ultimaker S5 with Cura

Hi experts !

I have to print black PETG with my Ultimaker S5, but there's no settings in Cura3D for it.

Except the print core and bed temperature, what important setting do I have to change ?

Thanks a lot

Hi Dureiken, 

I highly recommend reading the thread @SnadervG mentioned above, which gives you more background information about how to handle different materials on your printer.

But short answered the CPE profile is a good start with your PETG material. Depending on your PETG you can probably just use this profile without changing anything. CPE and PETG are both some kinds of copolyester. 

Hi Dureiken,

As the guys before me stated follow those steps first!

Regarding PETG we experienced that the following settings worked best for us:

Print Temp. 250

Bed Temp. 85

Retraction Distance 10mm

Retraction Speed 35mm/s

Also did we experience a lot of problems with printing infill patterns at a speed > 60mm/s

To be safe I would recommend to print infill at a speed of 40mm/s max

Hope this gives you a good start!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · PETG print on Ultimaker S5 with Cura

Thanks a lot for your answers and your help !

I will try this tomorrow. I didn't understant that CPE was the same material as PETG.

Edited by dureiken
    faults

Hi guys, trying to print, it seems to work but I have a lot of little wires, could I change that ?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · PETG print on Ultimaker S5 with Cura

any help ? 🙂

Edited by dureiken
    error

You can try to print a little bit cooler, maybe 5° or 10°. But with PETG you will always get some stringing, if this is what you have seen. There are also some other settings, like Retract where you can tune a little bit.

If not, please post a picture.

Dureiken do you have retraction on and on 10 mm it helped on our prints hardly any strings left.

Also it helps to choose the right infill pattern infill like zigzag en triangle make a real mess with PETG on gyroid we get much better prints with the same speeds. 

To react to Smithy we tried printing on 240°C but then the layers don't stick to gether good enough 250 seems to be the minimum with our filament (123-3d filament) perhaps other suppliers PETG or CPE can be printed on lower temperatures but the one from 123-3D can't.

Hi,

I just printed my tubes with Ultimaker CPE and Cura CPE settings, I have this :

t089YDY.jpg

Could I correct these "holes" ?

Thanks

I played a lot with CPE settings because I got similar results like yours with round objects and haven't found a solution yet. Turn off Combing helps a little bit. Here is a thread with my results if you are interested:

I have these holes more on circular objects. When I print square ones, the surface quality is quite good. I also have the feeling, that moisture is also a factor for PETG. Results are better if the filament is dry and has not absorbed too much moisture. 

But I generally try to avoid PETG and use it only if I need more temperature resistance. All other technical parts I print with Tough PLA, much stronger and great surface quality, but it has the same glass temperature as PLA.

tough PLA is stronger than PETG for mechanical usage ?

thanks

It depends what you need, tough PLA is stiffer than PETG and strong as ABS. You can check the data sheets with all values for the different categories.

I can easily break a PETG object with my hands, but not a Tough PLA part.

Would you have a good database ? Too much materials here !

Thanks

In this thread, I posted a project file and what I do with PETG (T-Glase as well).

I seem to be the odd man out on starting point as I do not use the CP or CPE starting point, but I get results that I like.

9 hours ago, dureiken said:

Would you have a good database ? Too much materials here !

User @gr5 did an amazing job and published an overview here: http://gr5.org/mat/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

User @gr5 did an amazing job and published an overview here: http://gr5.org/mat/

👍