Which one to buy

Posted · Which one to buy

Dear all,

We are using Ultimaker 2+ Extended for several years with no problem at our office.

Now we do need to buy a second 3d printer with the capability of water soluble support material for better quality prints.

We were planning to buy Ultimaker 3 extended. Then my partner asked why not Ultimaker S5?

So I could not decide what to do? is there any body using both 3 and S5. Is there a huge differance?

Should I pay 20% more and buy S5?

Thanks

Hi

I use both, Ultimaker 3 (not extended) and an S5. Basically, I love both, both are great reliable printers. The S5 has everything that the UM3 has, but has added some useful features. The filament sensor, bigger build volume, the ability to print abrasive materials with the CC core, because the feeder has hardened gears, a more advanced bed auto leveling system, glass doors, touch LCD panel, and some other improvements.

That said, you have much more possibilities with the S5 and it is, in my opinion, more future proof with maybe some upcoming extensions/add-ons.

I had the same "problem", i have 3 and was on the fence for another 3, or an S5. In the end, i bought a S5. Glad is did, it is a very mature printer, with a wide range of supported materials, and a superb support of Cura. For the last week i only used Cura's recommended settings, nor 1 fail!

HAppy!!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, Juaneguino said:

Buy Raise 3D Pro 2 Plus, no doubt.  No thing else to say

Ummmm, no, there is plenty to say. I would think that a bit of honest explanation would be welcome. Open and honest debate is welcome. But just a statement like this is not really constructive as it does not offer any tangible information.

While printing, average 120 gram parts for working prototypes, with u2+ , PC filament and cura recommend Settings, the parts are deforming while printing, I couldnt manage to print good parts. and also if I use ABS, while the parts are cooling down the parts are cracking and shrinking. I could not sucseed like printing pla that is why I am thinking to buy a second ultimaker. And ofcourse raise 2 can not be an option.

11 minutes ago, muraterciyas said:

And ofcourse raise 2 can not be an option.

I would ask why. Not to stir things up, but to expand information.

I am surprised to hear about the UM2+ giving issues as it has been a  reportedly reliable printer.

In my exprience, it is never offered as an alternative for Ultimaker. Ultimaker can print water soluble support material, but raise is still in trial for water soluble support material. Ultimaker has changable print heads, and you can print with a greater variety of material. We started 3d printing with up and added ultimaker 2 with the expectation of the second print head add on, then upgraded to 2+ extended. We are more than happy with pla printed parts. And never had an issue with 2+extended with pla filament. May be we need advise for printing PC or ABS. Please feel free to guide us.

Those are well stated reasons. 🙂

Always glad to hear that no matter what side of the fence one may be on.

@gr5 is very, very knowledgeable on the UM2 series as well as ABS. Not sure about the PC materials, but, maybe solving one would be tantamount to solving both?

The UM3 is prefectly good enough.  It's a great printer.  It's a little slower than the UM2 and a little faster than the S5 (in general, bigger is slower).  Personally I would look around for a used one because I am cheap.

I have 7 Ultimaker printers and they are all great but my favorite are the UM2go printers.  They do most of the work.  S5 is my second favorite but I use my UM3 almost as much as the S5.

6 hours ago, muraterciyas said:

May be we need advise for printing PC or ABS. Please feel free to guide us.

Hi

If you make an enclosure for the top of your printer and a door for the front then ABS prints much better. It stops the layers from splitting.

• Like 1

I increased the platform heat to 110c. The printer was in the workshop with no heat (average 14c room temperature) I moved the printer inside the office with 22c room temperature, I do have a front door and I coveredthe top, after these changes I did manage to print both ABS and PC.

thank you very much.

• Like 1