design advice

aag

Posted (edited) · design advice

I need some design advice. I am making a parametric box out of "tough PLA". It's divided into 4 components because the footprint is larger than the print volume; the components are held together with "fingers" and receptacles; clearance is 400 microns (isotropic) which is sufficiently precise for my needs. The question is: what is the preferred way to design a latch that keeps the lid closed and (somewhat) secured? I was thinking of some sliding part, but I am unsure about the best-practice. Any advice would be welcome!

The model is here, by the way: https://a360.co/2TjUQPA  If you find it useful, feel free to utilize, modify, etc.

Screenshot 2018-12-29 19.21.51.png

Screenshot 2018-12-29 19.27.41.png

Edited by aag

Posted · design advice

In PET snap-fit lockings work well, if not flexed too much. But I would not use it for regular PLA: it gets too hard and brittle after a year, and then they tend to break. I have no experience with tough PLA.

Depending on how secure the locking has to be, a screw and nut might also work. If you design a cage with some retention for the nut, so it can not fall out. Like the cages in these pics (although they are for a totally different clamping system, not directly applicable to a lid, but maybe you could use the basic idea).

anti_unwind_clamp1.jpg.60043c893e471c7cb2368b725b09f1b1.jpg

ostroncp_v20170104c.thumb.jpg.6dae46fd9b48b292823335415abefbf4.jpg