Something old.. something new, sequel.

SandervG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Something old.. something new, sequel.

A new PCB with either an embedded ARM, or driven by an external ARM SBC like a BeagleBone or Raspberry Pi running Cura / SteamEngine so that you can upload an STL file directly and let it slice/print?

The concept I've been toying with is a BeagleBone driving the electronics while at the same time hosting a web page with an ajax web based GUI similar to Cura that can be accessed by any machine on the network to upload, slice, and print. Considering WT (WebToolkit) for this task as it can run on Angstrom Linux without the need for Apache or anything like that... and could call the slicer with no overhead. You could operate the printer from your phone, tablet, whatever.... and monitor the progress on your phone from anywhere in the house by opening the webpage for the printer and taking a look.

Cheers,

Troy.

And a new post has been made, sharing some specific features.

And not to be ignored, an official confirmation :)

Here you go: http://blog.ultimaker.com/2013/09/16/ultimaker%C2%B2/

Will it be dual printing???

Ahhh, at last. I've been saying for a while now that it's time to bring out a new version. Too bad I can't afford to buy it at this time :).. It's certainly on my wishlist.

Can't wait to see it! Will it be available as a kit as well as pre-assembled?

Cheers,

Troy.

Hi,

I hope my first post here does not sound too negative, but as someone who only yesterday finished building his Ultimaker 1, I am curious as to what these news mean in terms of updates for the Ultimaker 1. Will there still be an official heated bed? Or will it even be possible to update an Ultimaker 1 to Ultimaker 2?

Mirko

Agreed I just finished building mine also...

Unfortunately, that's how it goes... Like a new TV, or Computer, mobile phone, or any other form of technology as soon as you buy something it's already obsolete. I was always surprised at how slow 3d Printing was moving in this respect. Makerbot has now started to release new versions almost annually. I think endless upgrades to a product are limited... In software terms that's how 'Spaghetti code' happens. It gets to the point where you really need to take what you've learned and start fresh with something new.

I don't think you should worry about it too much... yes it's a shame, but I don't think Ultimaker is going to cut you loose and leave you without support. The community is still here and and you still have the best 3d printer on the market. It's just soon to be the second best.

Cheers,

Troy.

By the way, will the UM2 be on show for the London 3d Print show on 7-9 November?

Ultimaker (+upgrades) for sale. Only a month old - for three quarters of the original price.

@Ultimaker: I asked before buying but you hinted only the experimental dual extrusion in a couple of months. You didn't have to reveal the UM², just have said "Dude, wait one month." and it would have been enough - I wouldn't have minded waiting :/

Hello Nicolinux, understand that the Ultimaker Original is still a really powerful machine. The Ultimaker² is much easier to use for a non-technical person, this doesn't mean that it makes the Ultimaker Original has become irrelevant. It still beats most other 3D printers in both speed and build quality, at the same time. And we're still commited to upgrading our current customers, you're what got us here in the first place. Mind you, upgrades do take time to develop, but we will release them over time, yes: for the Ultimaker Original as well as the Ultimaker².

And given your username Nicolinux, you don't need a noob friendly user interface on your machine, even if it's pleasant, its not your first priority, I assume... (hope I'm right :) )

if ultimaker 2 goes.. GLOBAL ! :-)

then is ultimaker going to still produce all units in their factory or will production be outsourced to... china for example ?

Im just looking at the play book of MakerBots Repicator 2 ;-) ?

Ian :-)

Hello Nicolinux, understand that the Ultimaker Original is still a really powerful machine. The Ultimaker² is much easier to use for a non-technical person, this doesn't mean that it makes the Ultimaker Original has become irrelevant. It still beats most other 3D printers in both speed and build quality, at the same time. And we're still commited to upgrading our current customers, you're what got us here in the first place. Mind you, upgrades do take time to develop, but we will release them over time, yes: for the Ultimaker Original as well as the Ultimaker².

That's the reason I bought an Ultimaker and not a Replicator2 - performance (and symphaty). But a new model is a new model. I really hope that you didn't just make it user friendly but also worked on some of its flaws (z-stage for example). That's why I would want the new model. Because a new model has to have earned it's right to exists through much engineering and improvements - so it must be better™.

And regarding upgrades for the Ultimaker Original, that's fine and we are grateful for that. But I hope that you don't impede development of cool new tech because you need to be backwards compatible to the stone ages - don't be Microsoft in this regard :)

And given your username Nicolinux, you don't need a noob friendly user interface on your machine, even if it's pleasant, its not your first priority, I assume... (hope I'm right :) )

Flattering, thanks. I don't need it per se, but it is time that I need. I started with Linux as a teen and then switched to the Mac. The enormous amount of time that I spent as a kid on Linux, I simply do not have now, so I need to cut corners. Now I have a Unix machine where everything just works and I don't need to fiddle with arcane configs. So I wouldn't mind a better and more user friendly interface and overall a 3D printer that's geared more towards user friendlyness. Besides I am an iOS developer - I am used to pretty things (until iOS6 that is...) ;)

Like Johan Cruijff said. 'every nadeel has its voordeel' :-P

I'll keep an eye on the 'Ultimaker FOR SALE section'

Might come some originel's available for a nice price....

Will it be dual printing???

It will be offered at a later stage, at this point the Ultimaker2 does not have this option yet.

Ahhh, at last. I've been saying for a while now that it's time to bring out a new version. Too bad I can't afford to buy it at this time :).. It's certainly on my wishlist.

Can't wait to see it! Will it be available as a kit as well as pre-assembled?

Cheers,

Troy.

It will be available Pre-assembled. :)

Agreed I just finished building mine also...

For those who have recently bought an Assembled Ultimaker Original please contact us with your order number and we can look for a proper solution.

But i would also like to quote Erik: 'Ultimaker Original is still a really powerful machine. It still beats most other 3D printers in both speed and build quality, at the same time. And we're still committed to upgrading our current customers, you're what got us here in the first place. '

By the way, will the UM2 be on show for the London 3d Print show on 7-9 November?

Yes it will :) Are you coming?

Like Johan Cruijff said. 'every nadeel has its voordeel' :-P

I'll keep an eye on the 'Ultimaker FOR SALE section'

Might come some originel's available for a nice price....

I don't think a lot of people get that :p

But i like your optimistic point of view and i agree with you!

I think most people don't understand the language. But Google translate helps:

"every disadvantage has its advantage".

little question... how did atleast two german computer and 3d magazines get the specifications of the ultimaker 2 even before you released the information officially ?

Ian :-)

Yes it will :) Are you coming?

Wouldn't miss it.