Something old.. something new, sequel.

SandervG

Posted · Something old.. something new, sequel.

little question... how did atleast two german computer and 3d magazines get the specifications of the ultimaker 2 even before you released the information officially ?

Ian :smile:

Where are you referring to Ian?

Obviously we are aware of the specifications, even though we chose not to release them before a certain date..

Makes sense.. doesn't it? ;)

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its a very interesting stage where you have to time your releasing of information at the very right moment, it just seemed like some it and print magazines acquired inside information early and could not wait .. ;-)

Ian

I know its a very interesting stage where you have to time your releasing of information at the very right moment, it just seemed like some it and print magazines acquired inside information early and could not wait .. :wink:

Ian

Most likely someone created a press release and send it out a bit too early... anyhow, it creates a nice buzz :-)

Well I'm torn.

I bought mine a month ago, not a whisper mentioned about a newer version in the works or coming soon. I asked many questions pre purchase too, afraid of something like this.

So...curious what the options are for existing customers, especially very recent purchases.

Thanks

SandervG from Ultimaker mentioned that if you bought your UM recently, you could contact them with your order number:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2916-something-old-something-new-sequel/?p=21373

I bought a kit so I am out of luck.

I bought a kit too, on August 26th.

one little thing guys !! dont forget the ultimaker you did buy is.. a brilliant 3d printer... its not like the new ultimaker 2 will convert your existing ultimaker to... dust and dirt... ultimaker 1 rocks big time.. I have two at the moment at home, printing 24/7 and perfect after perfect after perfect prints... you cant ask for better :-)

Ian :-)

What Ian said.

It was a matter of time before they put out a new model, and frankly, no sane company would go out and say: "Hey, there's a new model coming, please stop buying stuff from us and wait for it to come out." This same thing happens everywhere with every imaginable product. It's not like your original UM has suddenly become obsolete. I have mine for a few years now, and trust me, yours came much improved over my rev.2 machine. And mine still does wonderful prints, and I learned a lot of things using it (mostly the hard way :D ).

That being said, I learned through practice that one printer is simply not enough for me, so I sincerely hope some money will turn my direction soon, so I can get my hands on a UM2. (I hope it's pretty!) :mrgreen:

What Ian said.

It was a matter of time before they put out a new model, and frankly, no sane company would go out and say: "Hey, there's a new model coming, please stop buying stuff from us and wait for it to come out." This same thing happens everywhere with every imaginable product. It's not like your original UM has suddenly become obsolete. I have mine for a few years now, and trust me, yours came much improved over my rev.2 machine. And mine still does wonderful prints, and I learned a lot of things using it (mostly the hard way :D ).

That being said, I learned through practice that one printer is simply not enough for me, so I sincerely hope some money will turn my direction soon, so I can get my hands on a UM2. (I hope it's pretty!) :mrgreen:

I know this happens all the time. It was just bitter for me because my machine is just a few weeks old _and_ because I feared this might happen (I need to trust my intuition more in the future). It's like I'd buy an iPhone and Apple releases the 5S shortly after. This doesn't mean the iPhone 5 is bad (I love mine) but that finger print sensor is damn sexy. The analogy here is the heated bed in the UM2 - that's something that I have missed from day one.

And speaking of sexy - I've seen just a sneak peek of the new machine but I have the feeling that it looks smoking hot (literally - if they have added a heated chamber, which I hope since the patents for this tech are about to expire early next year).

The kits are still awesome. I'm a happy owner of the kit, and while the UM2 is also an awesome machine, I still would have bought the UM1 kit if I could have gotten the UM2.

I cannot officially comment on a heated-bed-kit for the UM1, but it is high on my personal wish list. We won't forget about the tinkerers and the kit users.

My initial concern was that I may have invested in a dead end, now that we know there will still be upgrades, I'm fine.

I think the reason some of us are a bit upset is that we had in mind that Ultimaker continue to release all technical advances as upgrades, not as completely new machines. When I decided to buy an Ultimaker, the openness/hackability/upgradability was one of the reasons to get this and not one of the other options. I wanted a printer that will grow with the state of the art of 3D-printing and with my requirements at least for some time.

This is also the reason I wouldn't compare this to a cell phone or TV set - if I buy a cell phone, I know it'll be outdated after some time. I don't plan to install new hardware in it.

Mirko

Well, I'll have to either keep monitoring the forum or send Sander an email. I'd like to know what my options are to upgrade, since I bought mine 24 days ago. I asked a lot of questions about having the latest version, anything up and coming...and it was indicated the Ultimaker was the latest and greatest. Clearly an Ultimaker 2 was in the works and had they hinted a new version was going to come out if I waited 30 days, I would've. Sigh.

Can anybody tell me if there will be a live stream from any of the English speaking unveiling sites? The only thing I found is the iGo3D stream which will be in German.

I think a lot of new V1 owners thought "damn" once the news was made available but as some of you have already pointed out, V1 is still a very nice 3D printer. I got my kit about a week ago and I actually had no trouble assembling it. The first print also went great thanks to Cura.

What I do hope and which has kinda already been confirmed, is that V1 will be geting upgrades such as the heated bed. Sure, it won't be available right now but at least the V1 won't just be forgotten. I'm sure the Ultimaker team will work hard on upgrades once the V2 sales normalize.

Anyway, I look forward to the new version and wish you the best of luck with the release.

We should stop calling the original Ultimaker V1 because it is more or less confirmed that they are just replacing the assembled Ultimaker with the new model. So the actual kit will continue to remain actual. I guess that's the reason the kit model is called "Ultimaker original" or "classic" (not sure).

Can anybody tell me if there will be a live stream from any of the English speaking unveiling sites? The only thing I found is the iGo3D stream which will be in German.

I just made a post about this: http://blog.ultimaker.com/2013/09/20/live-stream-official-release-ultimaker-2/

It also has the link where you can follow the release.

@Paul, if you want please email me and we can see about any possibilities. Or at the very least we can consider options.

Overall, I am sorry if my response time is slower the next couple of days.

I am personally at the release and Maker Faire New York. But i will try to reply to everything asap.

If anybody has any further questions, looking forward to helping you!

And like i saw some people asking, yes we will continue upgrading the Ultimaker Original.

The release of the Ultimaker 2 will not effect our activities around the Kit.

And a heated bed will follow for the Original.

So the features of it being up gradable still stands.

Even stronger then ever, but that is something that will probably be answered in Erik's speech! ^^

:sad: 2 week old Ultimaker :sad:

As a few others on here I am pretty disappointed actually. It was a major decision for me to go for the Ultimaker and would have appreciated a bit more "heads-up" warning, at least for the community around the Ultimaker which drives its success. I may have chosen to buy the Ultimaker 1 anyway but the option would have been nice.

Will you be significantly dropping the Ultimaker 1 price after this announcement? Typically with other electronics, the price of the original product gets dropped before the announcement of another iteration.

Some of the moderator comments suggest they will be contact very recent purchasers of the old unit, I would like to be involved in that if possible.

Oh, we don't have to wait any longer!

The new print head looks interesting.

BTW: Nice responsive web design.

Will the UM2 also be open hardware?

I just tried to order two new Ultimaker2:s to Sweden, but I get the error:

"cannot send to selected shipping address"

I've sent a screenshot to support@ultimaker.com.

Has anyone else successfully ordered through the new webshop yet (I could not use my old login so I had to create a new one)?

/Daniel

I just tried to order two new Ultimaker2:s to Sweden, but I get the error:

"cannot send to selected shipping address"

I've sent a screenshot to support@ultimaker.com.

Has anyone else successfully ordered through the new webshop yet (I could not use my old login so I had to create a new one)?

/Daniel

Minimum order is 3 Daniel ;)