printer randomly stops for no apparent reason

Posted · printer randomly stops for no apparent reason

So... I have yet another problem I've not been able to solve on my own. For the past two weeks, I've only had one successful print (out of 14), and the worst part is that I have no idea why. The problem is simple: The printer just randomly stops mid-print (usually in the first 40%). Things I have tried: I've attached a reliable power supplies, I've checked the steppers and the drivers (all OK), I've tried to use a different sd card and today I updated cura to cura 4.0 and tried to print via USB. Nothing worked, but the last time I tried  (with the USB) Cura gave me a crash report⬇️. In case it's important I'm using ender 4 with marlin 1.8.8.

image.thumb.png.76bcd8b010cd8f65a91713d199442e66.png

it reads:

Error traceback

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\PrinterOutput\PrintJobOutputModel.py", line 171, in setState

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\PrinterOutput\GenericOutputController.py", line 78, in setJobState

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDevice.py", line 329, in resumePrint

self._sendNextGcodeLine() #Send one line of g-code next so that we'll trigger an "ok" response loop even if we're not polling temperatures.

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDevice.py", line 367, in _sendNextGcodeLine

self._sendCommand("N%d%s*%d" % (self._gcode_position, line, checksum))

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDevice.py", line 220, in _sendCommand

self._serial.write(new_command)

File "serial\serialwin32.py", line 315, in write

serial.serialutil.SerialException: WriteFile failed (PermissionError(13, 'Access is denied.', None, 5))

Logs:

Thread 0x0010599c (most recent call first):

File "serial\serialwin32.py", line 272 in read

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDevice.py", line 228 in _update

File "threading.py", line 862 in run

File "threading.py", line 914 in _bootstrap_inner

File "threading.py", line 882 in _bootstrap

Thread 0x00104c50 (most recent call first):

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py", line 86 in _updateThread

Thread 0x00104d90 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 297 in wait

File "zeroconf.py", line 1569 in wait

File "zeroconf.py", line 1153 in run

Thread 0x00106724 (most recent call first):

File "zeroconf.py", line 1569 in wait

File "zeroconf.py", line 1017 in run

Thread 0x00105dbc (most recent call first):

File "zeroconf.py", line 946 in run

Thread 0x00105a18 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 549 in wait

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\UM3NetworkPrinting\src\UM3OutputDevicePlugin.py", line 344 in _handleOnServiceChangedRequests

Thread 0x00105058 (most recent call first):

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\plugins\RemovableDriveOutputDevice\RemovableDrivePlugin.py", line 61 in _updateThread

Thread 0x001096c0 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 293 in wait

File "threading.py", line 424 in acquire

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 86 in _nextJob

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 112 in run

Thread 0x0010a390 (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 86 in _nextJob

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 112 in run

Thread 0x00109138 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x001095fc (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00106320 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00109784 (most recent call first):

Current thread 0x00105180 (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 306 in _logInfoWidget

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 156 in _createDialog

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 77 in __init__

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 98 in exceptHook

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\Bindings\MainWindow.py", line 168 in mouseReleaseEvent

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 324 in exec_

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 761 in run

File "X:\4.0\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 132 in <module>

File "Console.py", line 24 in <module>

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958 in _find_and_load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969 in _find_and_load

File "__startup__.py", line 12 in <module>

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958 in _find_and_load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969 in _find_and_load

Do you have any GCode which was probably shipped with your printer? Just to be sure it is not a printer issue.

I have the same issue, but my failed prints always fail on my first layer only. I'll run the exact print again and it will work just fine. It's obviously my printer, but I have no clue as to why it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

AN update on the problem, so like you sugested i printed the code that came with the printer but no luck. This means that the g code is not the problem. This leaves software, hardware or the motherboard. For the software i tried five differet versions of marlin and all had the same problem. For hardware i disconected the heated bed (i thought it might have been shorting the power supply), but that didn't help at all, i also checked all the conections and made shore nothing is overheating .The only thing teft is the motherboard, and i really hope it's not fried. The problem remains the same the printer works compleatly fine for the first hower or two (it sometimes even finishes short prints), but then it abruptly stops- the lcd screen freazes (the temperatures stay at what they ware at the moment it froze, and it says it's printing), the bead and nozzle stop being heated and all the motors turn of. I realy have absolutly no idea how to fix this so pleas help

I am having a similar problem with my Ultimaker S5.  This is only my 2nd print with it and the first went 5hrs with no issues.  This newest print was set for a little under 2 days and was printing fine when I left work last night but when I came in this morning it was not moving and the clock was calling out that it had been printing for 19 hrs but clearly nothing has printed.  Nothing has shown errors its just not running.

IMG_0916.JPG

My setup:

Anycubic Mega-S 

Cura Version: 4.7.1 (have not changed for a while)

Did anyone find a solution to this issue?

I just had two consecutive prints fail like that. My guess is that its something about Cura because it says the print should take 1h 47min for something I know I printed before (with other settings admittedly, but nothing that should make that big of a difference) that took like 2h 50min. 

What seems to happen is that Cura is just writing about half of the file, the printer reaches the end saying it's done printing but the end gcodes aren't run (the head just stops; the bed is kept heated and so is the head).

For the second attempt, I tried re-slicing with slightly diffrerent settings but I got the same results.

20201017_111657.jpg

@Ili - is it possible your power supply shut off for a 100ms and your printer rebooted?  The behavior is quite different.  Try turning on your printer and noting exactly what the screen looks like (take a pic).  then when a print finishes, look at what the screen looks like.

The power bricks these days are too smart.  They have little computers in them and often will shut down briefly.

If this is the problem you probably need a new power supply.

I have the same issue with 4.7.1 . 

I have a 30+ hour print. and the print will run to about 40%, and then all of a sudden it says it is done, head freezes on the part, screen says the print is done and wants me to confirm. 

This only happens with the 4.7.1  - 4.6.x never had the issue. 

I did notice, this happened on some smaller prints when I had previewed sliced and then exported the gcode. 

So far.. wasted about half a spool of pla - but now.. trying 4.6 to get things done. 

I appreciate anyone's thoughts or help. 

How do you get the gcode to the printer?  Are you doing USB printing, octoprint, SD card, USB flash drive or other?

If you are doing SD card or flash drive then please check the gcode file on the storage versus the gcode file that was created when you sliced.  Look at the bottom of the gcode file on the storage and see what layer it ends on (search backwards from the bottom for the letter Z a few times which typically only appears once per layer).  Also do a file comparison - e.g. I think there is a command console program called "diff" you just say "diff file1.gcode file2.gcode" and if even one character is different it will list all the lines of the files that are different.

Posted (edited) · printer randomly stops for no apparent reason

Hi,

Same problem since yesterday on 4.5.0, it stops mid-print, it just freezes but my lcd screen shows "printing", and the countdown also freezes on Cura (I'm printing with the usb cable)...

I've tried with the last version of Cura and it did the same... What is going on?

EDIT : Nevermind, it was my USB port

Edited by Feuille