Problem selecting items in Cura 4.0

Posted · Problem selecting items in Cura 4.0

After updating to Cura 4.0 I have a problem selecting items. no matter their size. if i don't click/hit it right in the center where the xyz arrows meets, in that item I cant select it.

Others who have encountered this problem?

• 1 month later...

I also have great problems with the selection process. I can only select the model with the right mouse button and when I press on the model to try to move/rotate it it gets deselected. Most often I then have to zoom in/out and rotate the view around many times in order for cura to let me move and rotate the model. But this only works for that particular model. Then the process repeats itself. With earlier cura versions there were still problems with the selection process but now it has gone mental.

• 1 month later...

I have found the easiest way to move objects is by using the arrows. Move the mouse until the arrow becomes a lighter color and then click and drag. It doesn’t always seem like you’re clicking right on the arrow, but if it’s highlighted, it will work. Also works the same with rotation and scaling.

On 8/1/2019 at 6:14 AM, johnse said:

I have found the easiest way to move objects is by using the arrows. Move the mouse until the arrow becomes a lighter color and then click and drag. It doesn’t always seem like you’re clicking right on the arrow, but if it’s highlighted, it will work. Also works the same with rotation and scaling.

It doesn't work, sometimes you simply can't select the model, or the support blocker.
    It happens since 4.0 and we are in 4.2 and still happening

I have selection problems as well as movement problems. It might take many attempts to click on the model before it gets selected. Once selected, the chances are 50/50 if clicking on the arrows or circles will get the desired action or if it simply ends in a de-selection of the model. Very frustrating !

The issues seem to appear more often than in version 3.x but I can't be sure.

I can confirm the problem, but I didn't notice it until 4.2. 

It helps if I change the zoom and rotate the view a little. Then it often works again. It's definitely a bug, because you can aim at the object so exactly, at the latest when moving it is not selected again.

Please also open a bug (in the Cura help menu). This is the only way we can make sure that the developers get and fix bugs.

I just tried to move an average sized object. I tried about 20 times before giving up and printing in the place that Cura decided for it.

I have started to use the new feature on the lower left of the Cura main screen that names the prints on the build plate. This always selects the print and is quite handy. Alas, every time I clicked on either the center of the x/y/z arrows or on the arrow heads, the arrows would disappear. Eventually I gave up rather annoyed at the situation.

Do you use the Sidebar GUI plugin?

For me it's a problem in standard Cura with no plugins installed.

Without sidebar plugin installed

Thanks, good to know it also happens without my plugin.

I am having this problem as well  When do the developers plan to fix it?  This really sucks.  As a new Cura user, I am most disappointed at several things that appear to be flaws, for instance, when trying to group two models, I can't drop the second model on the surface of the first.  I tried turning off the drop to bed plate function, which did allow me to raise my second model far enough above the first to place it, but when grouped, they separated rather than combined.  Trying to create an imbeded arrow in a keycap.  So far it has been impossible.  I managed to create an imbeded label for a project but was able to make the hole in the first model all the way through so I could place the second one.  I can't do that with a keycap, the stem will disappear.  Somebody needs to fix this problem.  I like Cura so far, but I find it far more difficult to use than my former slicer, Simplify3D, which is not recommended for the Ultimaker S5.

Posted (edited) · Problem selecting items in Cura 4.0

I believe that, other than the issue of selecting things, the remaining things are 'operator problems'.

Keeping in mind that I am just a user, as far as I know Cura can't drop one thing onto the surface of another (excepting dropping a model on the build plate of course). IMHO this would be rather useless because how would you deal with anything that doesn't just sit on the surface.

The way to do this is to create your model in two sections on the same drawing and export it in two STL files. When Cura combines them, they are combined as they are in the original model relative to the origin as specified in the model. This could be with the arrow key on the surface or embedded or a combination of the two.

I hope that makes sense ....

I do believe it is possible to combine two independent models into a group (never used that function) but that is rather inaccurate. I think when you talked 'group' you might have meant 'merge' which is what I assumed your post was about.

Edited by jens3

I understand, after playing with the merge function for a while, the concept of two duplicate models with one fitting into the other.  I looked at Cura's example, and sorta see how they do it.  Not having a great deal of luck duplicating the process, however.  I have created two of the key caps I want to print in Tinkercad, one with an arrow shaped hole and the other with the solid arrow I want to have appear on top and embedded in the cap.  When the models are merged, rather than my arrow being black (2nd extruder) and the rest white, it comes out half black and half white, with the top completely black.  I did mean "merge
    rather than group.  Regardless, the moving of the two models is still an issue.  Sometimes I can click on one or the other and be able to grab one of the handles, other times they won't select at all unless I click on the legend on the bottom left, and when one of the handles is touched, the selection goes away.  THAT is frustrating and hard to use.  I think the problem occurs only when more than one model is on the surface, or so it seems.  Thanks for your comment.  Back to the drawing board.

11 minutes ago, Geep said:

I have created two of the key caps I want to print in Tinkercad, one with an arrow shaped hole and the other with the solid arrow I want to have appear on top and embedded in the cap

Some suggestions and guesses here...

the “trick” to getting your two models to merge correctly is to be sure they have the same origin. I don’t know TinkerCad, but in Fusion 360 different components in an assembly can have different origins or transforms. When you merge in Cura, it aligns the origins of the models.

As to the half black, half white arrow... is it possible that your keycap model is not watertight? What you describe sounds an awful lot like “Z-fighting” in 3D graphics, where the renderer cannot quite decide which of coplanar faces should be displayed.

Try slicing the two parts separately and look at each in Preview mode. Is the hole in the body sliced properly? My guess is that it won’t be. Turn on x-ray mode in preview and look for red areas. 

If that is the case, search for watertight or non-manifold in these forums for pointers on correcting them. IIRC, in TinkerCad this can happen when intersecting objects are not combined correctly into a single solid.

Slow learner.  You hit it.  I redid the model, placed the arrow in the correct spot on the keycap model, exported the arrow only, then selected and exported the keycap.  It sliced correctly, printing now to see if it works on the printer.

Thank you!  It wasn't obvious from the models I looked at how they were done, but your origin explanation triggered my brain.

The first time I tried combining two models, I had wildly different origins so the models sprang apart when I did the merge. That made it clear it was different than when Cura settles objects to the base plate.

Glad you were able to figure it out, and here’s hoping your print works!

Those of you that are having issues selecting objects in Cura 4.0-4.2, could you check the Cura 4.3 beta? A fix was included for another issue which may also affect this issue (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/pull/518)

For me, the selecting issues are fixed in 4.3 beta, haven't seen it anymore.

• Like 1

Seems to work great !  Thanks !

• Like 1

Wohoo, good to have fixed this fairly long-standing and hard to reproduce issue!

• Thanks 1