More top/bottom patterns

FilaPrim

Posted · More top/bottom patterns

I was thinking of if it would be possible to add more top/bottom layer patterns.

It could be interesting to give a nice pattern on objects that the main face it's the bottom layer because the shiny/smooth result of the glass bed touching face.

Something like this:

67567021-illusive-continuous-monochrome-

Cura is open source, but I'm not seeing an easy way to drop in and modify the available top/bottom patterns. I'd really like to be able to tell it to do an interlaced pattern that initially fills a top layer with separated strands, then fills in the gaps between the strands. This would solve the general cooling+curling problem that I observe with the "lines" pattern on the leading edge of some prints as it fills in a continuous layer.

Is there a way to do this via plug-in and not having to get too familiar with the Cura codebase itself?

1 hour ago, davidconeff said:

Is there a way to do this via plug-in and not having to get too familiar with the Cura codebase itself?

I'm afraid not. You would have to delve into the C++ code in the backend to be able to add/change the skin patterns.

• Like 1

That's what I was afraid of. Being able to implement novel "access patterns" to the top/bottom skins would be really useful for altering the physics of how the strands cool. Hopefully I can figure it out myself or convince a cura developer to implement the feature request 🙂

There is a way to mimick this effect, but it requires changing the CAD model. On top of your model, create these hexagons, and leave a very tiny gap in-between them, for example 0.001mm. This gap will fuse while printed, but the slicer will see it as separate polygons, and slice them accordingly. So it will outline each hexagon separately. Then use multiple outlines for wall thickness.

But the problem is that the nozzle has to go from the center to the edge after completing each hexagon, and this may create ugly lines or defects.

here is a short video arguing in favor of an interlaced in-fill "lines" pattern for the top/bottom patterns, or a plug-in system for writing novel access patterns to filament lines that would get laid down continuously next to each other:

There are no enough possibilities for the top/bottom pattern, Cura developers should consider too add some other options.

"REAL CONCENTRIC" for example is really a need if you are printing some radially symmetric objects, in PrusaSlicer is called "archimedean chords"

applsci-10-04776-g003.png

We are also interested in seeing additional top/bottom pattern options in Cura.

We have had several customers who use these patterns for decorative purposes on the top/bottom of their parts.

We have to switch from our Ultimaker and Cura to a different platform to run adhesion simulations on these additional patterns. This usually requires maintaining an additional supply of 1.75mm filament for the wide variety of filament types that need to be tested in order to run these patterns on those other machines.