FilaPrim

More top/bottom patterns

Posted · More top/bottom patterns

I was thinking of if it would be possible to add more top/bottom layer patterns.

It could be interesting to give a nice pattern on objects that the main face it's the bottom layer because the shiny/smooth result of the glass bed touching face.

Something like this:

67567021-illusive-continuous-monochrome-

Cura is open source, but I'm not seeing an easy way to drop in and modify the available top/bottom patterns. I'd really like to be able to tell it to do an interlaced pattern that initially fills a top layer with separated strands, then fills in the gaps between the strands. This would solve the general cooling+curling problem that I observe with the "lines" pattern on the leading edge of some prints as it fills in a continuous layer.

Is there a way to do this via plug-in and not having to get too familiar with the Cura codebase itself?

1 hour ago, davidconeff said:

Is there a way to do this via plug-in and not having to get too familiar with the Cura codebase itself?

I'm afraid not. You would have to delve into the C++ code in the backend to be able to add/change the skin patterns.

• Like 1

That's what I was afraid of. Being able to implement novel "access patterns" to the top/bottom skins would be really useful for altering the physics of how the strands cool. Hopefully I can figure it out myself or convince a cura developer to implement the feature request 🙂

You can get developers attentions better by posting this on the git issues page as a feature request:

https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues/

Also if you can convince @smartavionics that this is worthwhile - he has made quite a few changes to cura recently (even though he doesn't work for Ultimaker).

There is a way to mimick this effect, but it requires changing the CAD model. On top of your model, create these hexagons, and leave a very tiny gap in-between them, for example 0.001mm. This gap will fuse while printed, but the slicer will see it as separate polygons, and slice them accordingly. So it will outline each hexagon separately. Then use multiple outlines for wall thickness.

But the problem is that the nozzle has to go from the center to the edge after completing each hexagon, and this may create ugly lines or defects.

here is a short video arguing in favor of an interlaced in-fill "lines" pattern for the top/bottom patterns, or a plug-in system for writing novel access patterns to filament lines that would get laid down continuously next to each other: