Jump to content
nheather

Splitting Up a Print

Recommended Posts

Posted · Splitting Up a Print

Hi,

 

Very new to 3D Printing and Cura.

 

I have downloaded a model from Thingiverse that I would like to print.

 

The model is in multiple parts that will need to be assembled when printed.  Perfectly happy with this but the STL file has all parts on the bed at the same time.  The parts are distinctly different and separate just all combined in the STL. 

 

I like to print them separately because

 

i) I prefer a number of shorter prints

ii) the support requirements for each part is different

 

Is there a way in Cura to separate each of these parts into their own STL files?

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

Not in Cura, but you can cut the parts in other Software like, Fusion360, Blender, and so on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

I found meshmixer easiest to use for this, just copy n paste each part to a new stl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

That was the name I was looking for - meshmixer - not Blender, but it will be possible in Blender too, but MeshMixer is the easiest one as obenan said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

I think in older Cura versions it was possible to "split object in parts" or something similar? This would split a model into all its parts, and these would all be distributed on the build plate separately. Then you could delete the unwanted parts one by one, and only keep the desired ones.

 

You would have to redo this whole sequence of splitting and deleting for every part, so it is a bit cumbersome, but it could be a temporary workaround to get a job done.

 

I don't know if this is still possible in the newest versions of Cura (I haven't tried)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print
3 hours ago, geert_2 said:

I think in older Cura versions it was possible to "split object in parts" or something similar? This would split a model into all its parts, and these would all be distributed on the build plate separately. Then you could delete the unwanted parts one by one, and only keep the desired ones.

 

You would have to redo this whole sequence of splitting and deleting for every part, so it is a bit cumbersome, but it could be a temporary workaround to get a job done.

 

I don't know if this is still possible in the newest versions of Cura (I haven't tried)?

 

 

Just to be clear though, I'm not talking about breaking down a single model into parts.  The model is already in parts, the problem is that they are all in a single STL file.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

yes.  Cura 15.X does this.  You can download and install cura 15 and it doesn't interfere or affect or replace versions of cura 2.X through 4.X.

 

Right click on the model in cura 15.X and there is an option.  If the objects in the STL do not touch it separates them out.  Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to save the STL files.  So the more that I think about this, the less useful it seems.  meshmixer might be your best bet for simplicity.

 

Also check carefully on thingiverse, sometimes they have a "tray" stl file that has all the parts but in addition they have the STL files for each part separate.  Sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print
2 hours ago, nheather said:

 

Just to be clear though, I'm not talking about breaking down a single model into parts.  The model is already in parts, the problem is that they are all in a single STL file.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Yes, that is how I understood it.  :-)

 

To be totally sure I just tried it on my old Cura 14.09, and there the function is named "Split object into parts". It works, and you can indeed delete each of the parts separately afterwards. So, you could save the remaining as gcode, and print them one by one in this way.

 

However, it does have side-effects: if there are hollows in an object, like my watermark text, these will also be extracted as separate objects... Lol.

 

image.thumb.png.378d4f616a12d83a7d6b70a5e644d223.png

 

Which should have been this:

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Splitting Up a Print

How very peculiar.  Why was the functionality removed?  I always thought that features got added with new versions not taken away.

 

I'm assuming that meshmixer is a different application.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print

Okay, downloaded and installed MeshMixer.

 

Imported the STL file.

 

It displays all the separate parts.

 

But I can't see ay intuitive way of selecting each and saving as a separate STL.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print
20 hours ago, nheather said:

But I can't see ay intuitive way of selecting each and saving as a separate STL.

 

Lol, "Meshmixer" and "intuitive" are terms that i would not use in the same sentence...🙂

 

In Meshmixer:

- "Edit" -> "Separate Shells" (the object browser shows up with a list of separate shells)

- select a single part

- "Export" as *.stl

 

Or in a recent version of Cura:

- go to the Marketplace and install the "Mesh Tools" plugin from @ahoeben

- this gives you a new menu entry:  "Extensions" -> "Mesh Tools" -> "Split model into parts"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Splitting Up a Print
1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

 

Lol, "Meshmixer" and "intuitive" are terms that i would not use in the same sentence...🙂

 

In Meshmixer:

- "Edit" -> "Separate Shells" (the object browser shows up with a list of separate shells)

- select a single part

- "Export" as *.stl

 

Or in a recent version of Cura:

- go to the Marketplace and install the "Mesh Tools" plugin from @ahoeben

- this gives you a new menu entry:  "Extensions" -> "Mesh Tools" -> "Split model into parts"

 

 

Thanks for the suggestion.  The MeshMixer works well.  I did also install the Mesh Tools plugin, appears in the extensions menu but unfortunately it crashes Cura 4.0.0 when I try to use it.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 96 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!