Cura stuttering on curves

dsplendido

Posted · Cura stuttering on curves

Is anyone else suddenly having the issue of stuttering on curves, which produces a vertical ripple on prints? I'm running a Cura on a CR-10S5 over Octoprint. This just started after months of perfectly smooth prints. I recently upgraded to a Titan Aero and use TH3D's unified firmware. I've read tons of different posts but nothing seems to address why this might have suddenly started happening. When I run Slic3r, the print head goes through the curves fine, very smoothly.

20190605_172131 (1).jpg

20190605_172141 (1).jpg

20190605_172203 (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    On 6/19/2019 at 8:16 PM, ajayjohn said:

I have the exact same issue too. Seems to have happened after I upgraded to Cura 4.1

Wondering if the problem relates to interaction between slicer and newer Marlin firmware. I started seeing it after upgrading with TH3D unified firmware and then using the linear advance/s-curve functions. The problem was really pronounced using recent Cura versions and I'm seeing it, although less, in Slic3r. 

• 8 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura stuttering on curves
    On 6/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, dsplendido said:

I'm still trying to isolate what the problem is with my setup, and have spent an entire day attempting to do so.  So far I've tried a few versions of Cura 4.4, and 4.5 all with the same result.  I've gradually increased the mesh max-resolution, max travel res, and max deviation, all still with the same result.  Since I'm using Octoprint, I decided to eliminate that variable by slicing directly to the SD card, and printing directly, but that has not solved the issue.

I recently upgraded from Marlin 1.9 to Marlin 2.0, and assumed that might be the issue.  I went back, and still the same problem.  Major stuttering, vibrations, and pauses on curved surfaces. 

As an experiment I tried another slicer, KISS, and spent about 5 minutes setting it up for my printer, and it printed flawlessly!  Incredibly smooth lines, and the curvature was so smooth it was reflective!  I then uploaded that GCode to Octoprint and had the same smooth result. 

I really like Cura, but this is beginning to become a major problem, and I haven't discovered a solution yet.  If anyone's come across a solution, please let me know.

Edited by thekwijibo

*update*
    I've made some slight progress...  I've been able to get a moderate improvement by reducing the mesh significantly beforehand in addition to slowing down the print speeds down to where I normally print PETG at (20mm/s).  There are still occasional imperfections and pauses, but they are reduced by about 70%  Slight progress, but even at a painfully slow printing speed, there are still significant pauses that cause zits. 
    Due to the amount of mesh reduction, there are visible "flat" spots and noticeable straight lines to simulate a curves surface.  I find it frustrating that another simple slicer can blast through around 40mm/s on a high res mesh, and not encounter these pauses.

Thekwijibo,

I tried every kind of workaround imaginable and it seems like you have too. Printing was entirely on a CR-10s5, Titan Aero upgrade, different slicers, different tweaks. Simply 3d demonstrated less stuttering, but still stuttered, and happens to be my main slicer now. I'll get right to the fix - all was resolved with a 32-bit board upgrade. I went with TH3D eazy board lite. Very easy install, generally speaking. Runs like a completely different printer. 

• Like 1

Dsplendido,
    Thanks for the solution, even though not exactly what I was hoping for.  I suppose Cura might be moving forward with 32-bit support and leaving the 8-bits in the dust.   I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this issue.  I've been putting off buying a 32-bit board, and possibly printing/building an entirely new 3D printer.  This might be the push I needed. 

Same for me. I'm a relative newbie and I was reluctant to dive into a new board when everything once seemed to work fine circa Cura 3.8, I think. The stuttering issue seem to come out of nowhere and I figured there had to be a simple solution if I scoured the web, but there wasn't much out there. The new board was kind of an afterthought, actually, after I pretty much gave up and slowed my printing down to a crawl. Also I had ringing issues, typical for a CR-s5, but again, not much info was available on that. The new CR-s's have a z-brace, and yes, a new board. The operation is incredibly smooth and quiet with the new board on mine. Had I known, could've saved a lot of trial and error.

For anyone following this, I got some pretty dramatic improvement by disabling "Wall overlap compensation" in Cura.  I still have stuttering issues and random blobs even when printing slower, but significantly less than before.

Could very well be related to the max resolution. Try values around 0.1mm and 0.02mm max deviation.

There's some bugs with small values of maximum (or is it 'minimum'?) resolution, which should be fixed next version.

I tried your suggestion, and still encountered significant pauses and bumps.
    Max Resolution: 0.1
    Max Travel Resolution: 0.1
    Max Deviation: 0.02

My previous conservative values:
    Max Resolution: 0.65
    Max Travel Resolution: 0.7
    Max Deviation: 0.075

Experimental maximum values:
    Max Resolution: 0.9
    Max Travel Resolution: 0.7
    Max Deviation: 0.1

Sanity check absurd values:
    Max Resolution: 1.5
    Max Travel Resolution: 1.25
    Max Deviation: 0.25

Even when printing around 20-40mm/s there are significant zits and pauses.  There is very little difference in print quality during each iteration which surprises me.  I can share some Gcode if it might help. 
    Printer hardware is fine.  Other slicers are producing near perfect prints of the same test ellipse geometry at around 40-60mm/s

I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Could you please share your project file?

could you please share some screenshots of the layer view?

Thanks a lot for looking into this for me. 
    Model geometry is a simple ellipse with a thickness of 0.8mm for two walls of a 0.4mm nozzle.

Ellipse_Cura_layers.jpg

Ellipse_Cura_layers_2.jpg

Elipse_Project.3mf

Hmm I am coming up empty handed. I can't really find why this is happening on your printer. Sadly I don't have a CR-10, so I am unable to reproduce it on the printer.

Hopefully somebody else is able to help you...

Thanks for looking into it for me.  If there are is any future interest, I could upload some video of the stuttering/pauses if that helps. Since nothing in my settings stood out to you, I'm assuming it has something to do with Cura.  Hopefully this gets fixed in the next update.  It looks like I can mitigate "most" of the pauses and subsequent blobs by slowing down significantly. I might print PETG exclusively for a while.

i am getting stuttering on my S5, always have to some extent, but sometimes worse than others, see the attached image, i have read its related to the ability of the S5 to process the commands, i have let cura set the max dev and resolution numbers but still get stuttering, not great for such an expensive printer. See the image of the stutters causing blobs, always in the same place every 20 layers or so, i would assume the commands are overflowing the que at this point. @bagel-orb any ideas ?, latest S5 firmware 5.12

thanks

20200504_210819.jpg

@bagel-orb have you any insight on this, i know its a old post but i still always see this sort of stuttering on a S5 with the defaults for max res and deviation. As you can see the spacing is so consistent that it looks like a build up of commands in the processors then a stutter occurs. @Montani would this be correct by the new firmware do you know ?, i cannot remove this not matter what it try in the slicer.

MAny thanks

Posted (edited) · Cura stuttering on curves

update: i have updated the firmware to V6 which released today and the issue/stutter blobs still persists (no change from 5x) @bagel-orb @Montani @SandervG, any ideas ? Max res is already at 1.167 and dev at 0.08, not sure it makes sense to increase these values !

Edited by Link

You could give the ArcWelder plugin a go. It is created specifically to reduce the amount of gcode needed to draw a curve. There's a version of it in the Marketplace, but it may not work on all systems. I'm currently testing a new version before it gets published to the Marketplace. Check it out here:

thanks, will give it a go, i am using a S5, should it work ?.

Does it need to be enabled or just installed and it will affect the generated Gcode ? 

1 hour ago, Link said:

i am using a S5, should it work ?

To clarify, since the OP in this post has a Creality CR10 S5, do you mean an Ultimaker S5 or another S5?

Looking at your image, the plugin is only going to make any difference for models with curvy details. Your stutters seem to happen on a straight line, which the plugin will not be able to help you with.

Yes, S5, the stutter always occurs after a curve, i will run it and see what happens...

update: the plugin didn't affect this stuttering 

1 hour ago, Link said:

Yes, S5,

You realise you did not answer the question, right? But given the firmware versions you mentioned above, I can assume you mean an Ultimaker S5.

no sorry, thought i had replied !, yes, UM S5