Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

burtoogle

Posted · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

x86 and arm are completely different instruction sets.  Much of Cura is written in C++ including the "engine" which does the actual slicing.  When you compile C++ to instructions you have to tell the compiler what CPU instruction set to compile to.  All the intel cpu chips and AMD chips support x86 instructions but there are many other CPUs that have their own (better?) instruction set.

It's more complicated than this because there are also operating system differences from one linux to another (which you can get around) but if you don't even use an x86 cpu then that's a huge deal.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

newb here so im probably missing somthing simple but how do you run/execute the CuraEngine.exe file? as far as I know .exe files are only executeable on windows.

And also is that the only file I would need to download or is there other stuff that is needed?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  I know this is going to be a long shot, but it sure would be nice if it works.  First I'm going to try to get this to work on my ARM64 Lenovo Chromebook C330 with Linux emulation - totally encouraged by the comment in the ReadMe that says "the AppImages also run on Chromebooks that support Linux apps" though I understand that's the x86_64 architecture - but still - hopeful!  Anyway, I have downloaded and set the execute bits on Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage and when I try to execute it, this happens:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage
    ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to use apt to load libraries, but both were not found:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgles-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libgles-dev

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libz
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libz

So - I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'd like to try it.

Failing this - what about the X11 remote display capabilities of running the program on my RPI4 4GB but having the display be my ChromeBook?  I think, in theory, that should be possible, if I ever figure out the permissions correctly, and figure out how to set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly...

Hey, an update!  I did some research, and that led me to do this:

sudo apt install zlib1g-dev

Now, when I run the Cura executable, it "runs" but I get this:

image.png.c0f08b4ab0eba73e21aaf7907736b110.png

If I expand that a bit, I get

image.png.7e7f03c110df77f34934cf8962addb09.png

but that's still a bit obscure, and I'm not sure what it thinks it is asking me.  If I click OK, i think it just silently exits.

Suggestions?

On 1/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, steinhelten said:

OK.  I know this is going to be a long shot, but it sure would be nice if it works.  First I'm going to try to get this to work on my ARM64 Lenovo Chromebook C330 with Linux emulation - totally encouraged by the comment in the ReadMe that says "the AppImages also run on Chromebooks that support Linux apps" though I understand that's the x86_64 architecture - but still - hopeful!  Anyway, I have downloaded and set the execute bits on Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage and when I try to execute it, this happens:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage
    ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to use apt to load libraries, but both were not found:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgles-dev
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libgles-dev

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libz
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libz

So - I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'd like to try it.

Failing this - what about the X11 remote display capabilities of running the program on my RPI4 4GB but having the display be my ChromeBook?  I think, in theory, that should be possible, if I ever figure out the permissions correctly, and figure out how to set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly...

I used to use Cura on my old Chromebook, I got it just by downloading the .AppImage from their website and then opened it with ./(whatever-I-called-it).AppImage  you have to open it that way every time so try to name it something short, I just used "c". Hopfully this works for you too 😃

I don't think it's possible to run cura on an Arm processor unless you specifically compile it for that instruction set.  The appImage cura that Ultimaker has out there is for X86 architecture only and the raspi version talked about on this topic is only for raspberry pi.

Hi,

Top object in the screenshot below has lines that are not straight on one particular layer and looks messy in the actual print. It's the first layer above support structure. Am using standard High Profile and i added another object to the print to see if that has the same problem. It doesn't. The top object was actually derived from the bottom object, elongated and windows added.

I tried setting Top/Bottom Line direction to 90 for this layer but it had no effect. Is there another setting that might correct this. Am using Cura-mb-master-armhf-20210629.AppImage.

Gcode attached.

Thanks,

Steve

265238495_output-onlinepngtools(5).thumb.png.5ed9c29b5d8e2e501ec5507a391ed732.pngIMG_8227.thumb.jpg.5e524991b418acf665f26cd21d592db5.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

Walls.gcode

Hi

sorry for an old thread resurrection but what happened to this ? The dropbox link doesnt exist anymore as it says its deleted is there still a Cura version for Raspberry pi 4b ?

This is my first post for years. I really don't post here any more but I just have to reply to the last post because it's just so wrong on many counts. @Varkanoid, do yourself a favour and completely ignore that post. It's 100% uninformed nonsense. You can find releases of Cura for the Raspberry Pi at https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases. There is a 32 bit build that runs on Pi4s and a  64 bit build that runs on Pi4s and Pi5s. The new Pi5 is quite awesome. Hope that helps.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

This is my first post for years. I really don't post here any more

It is good to have you back though, even if just for a little while.

Posted (edited) · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

Moo. I'm sorry folks, I don't know any good cow puns for apologetic.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

9 hours ago, burtoogle said:

This is my first post for years. I really don't post here any more but I just have to reply to the last post because it's just so wrong on many counts. @Varkanoid, do yourself a favour and completely ignore that post. It's 100% uninformed nonsense. You can find releases of Cura for the Raspberry Pi at https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases. There is a 32 bit build that runs on Pi4s and a  64 bit build that runs on Pi4s and Pi5s. The new Pi5 is quite awesome. Hope that helps.

Thanks I've already bookmarked that page before and it was my next one to try. Appreciated.

So I had to reinstall raspiban  so I refreshed my SD card as my current version of rpiOS wifi or eth would no longer work the apt-get install cura worked but it downloads cura2.13 which loads, the printer connecting sound plays as if to "connect" but fails to provide print to usb as an option, so i followed the https://raspberrytips.com/install-cura-on-raspberry-pi/ document and I get this error 

As seen in the picture provide and it just crashes every time does anyone have any suggestions 

PXL_20240306_223135192.jpg