Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

MeinName216

Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on this forum.

I just updated from Cura 4.1.0 to 4.2.1 and i found that the generated supports don't work as they used to anymore.

I've attached screenshots of both versions with the same model and the same print settings.

In version 4.1 the supports were created as they're supposed to, but in 4.2.1 they stop sometimes halfway through, sometimes just before touching the object.

The way this looks, I don't think the supports work quite right.

Is this a known feature or bug or did I just mess something up?

Thanks for your answers!

supports41.JPG

supports421.JPG

Same issue here, but its also occurring to me with Cura 4.0 and the Creawesome mod

Same here, lost some prints and time because of this.

Definitely Support problem! Tried  old gcode and it prints correct. New support mess up from the beginning. Especially on big and complicated models. On small simple models it works correctly. 

I also have a lot of problems with supports, among other tings with v4.2.1. I reinstalled v4.1, and noticed a setting that might contribute to the problem: "Minimum Support Area" are set to 10 mm2 in v4.2.1, while in v4.1 it's set to 0 mm2. 

Also, i found support harder to remove with the "Enable Support Interface" enabled - and i found the "Support Wall Line Count" set to 1, a waste of time and filament... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornelius703 said:

I also have a lot of problems with supports, among other tings with v4.2.1. I reinstalled v4.1, and noticed a setting that might contribute to the problem: "Minimum Support Area" are set to 10 mm2 in v4.2.1, while in v4.1 it's set to 0 mm2. 

Also, i found support harder to remove with the "Enable Support Interface" enabled - and i found the "Support Wall Line Count" set to 1, a waste of time and filament... 🙂

in my case , minimum support area in 4.2.1 is 0.0, for both extruders. Sad...

I had to reinstall 4.2.0 back. With 4.2.1 couldn't sometimes print simplest things! 

9 hours ago, RudydG said:

in my case , minimum support area in 4.2.1 is 0.0, for both extruders. Sad...

Ok, i didn't actually test that setting; there was too many other small differences in the profiles in v4.2.1 for me to keep track of, so i downgraded to v4.1. 🙂 (Like material line width set to 0.44, with a 0.4 nozzle; layer width choices was only 0.12, 0.16, 0.20, etc.)

What suprise me is that until now, there is no official reaction from Ultimaker. They just leave us with a "defect" product? Or maybe an explanation what we do wrong?

40 minutes ago, RudydG said:

What suprise me is that until now, there is no official reaction from Ultimaker. They just leave us with a "defect" product? Or maybe an explanation what we do wrong?

I stopped upgrading Cura right after the release quite some time ago, precisely because of such stupid bugs (and to think what would have happened if I upgraded the S5's firmware when the new version came out *shudder*). Seems like "agile" development isn't the best suited strategy for such a complex piece of software...

Sure this is the best option for people wo use their equipment professional, and have to deliver! But sometimes you get to confident, and try it anyway. 

Still, suprises me that this "bug" gets in an official release.

Has anyone already created a bug for this on GitHub? Because only there can we make sure that someone is looking at it. 

In general it is hard not to make a Cura update, because there are some bugs in every version, which are fixed with the new version. But with the new version there will be other bugs. You have to keep an overview of the bugs to decide which version to use.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Has anyone already created a bug for this on GitHub? Because only there can we make sure that someone is looking at it. 

Nope, i didn't, even don't know where to do it.

You find it in the Cura Help menu or directly via this link:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues

On 8/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Smithy said:

In general it is hard not to make a Cura update, because there are some bugs in every version, which are fixed with the new version. But with the new version there will be other bugs. You have to keep an overview of the bugs to decide which version to use.

debugging

(diːˈbʌɡɪŋ)
    n
    (Computer Science)
    a. the process of replacing known bugs in a program with unknown bugs

😄

• Like 1