Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Support creation bug in 4.2.1?


MeinName216
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

Hi everyone,

 

this is my first post on this forum.

I just updated from Cura 4.1.0 to 4.2.1 and i found that the generated supports don't work as they used to anymore.

I've attached screenshots of both versions with the same model and the same print settings.

In version 4.1 the supports were created as they're supposed to, but in 4.2.1 they stop sometimes halfway through, sometimes just before touching the object.

The way this looks, I don't think the supports work quite right.

 

Is this a known feature or bug or did I just mess something up?

Thanks for your answers!

supports41.JPG

supports421.JPG

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    Same issue here, but its also occurring to me with Cura 4.0 and the Creawesome mod

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    Same here, lost some prints and time because of this.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    Definitely Support problem! Tried  old gcode and it prints correct. New support mess up from the beginning. Especially on big and complicated models. On small simple models it works correctly. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    I also have a lot of problems with supports, among other tings with v4.2.1. I reinstalled v4.1, and noticed a setting that might contribute to the problem: "Minimum Support Area" are set to 10 mm2 in v4.2.1, while in v4.1 it's set to 0 mm2. 

     

    Also, i found support harder to remove with the "Enable Support Interface" enabled - and i found the "Support Wall Line Count" set to 1, a waste of time and filament... 🙂

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?
    1 hour ago, Cornelius703 said:

    I also have a lot of problems with supports, among other tings with v4.2.1. I reinstalled v4.1, and noticed a setting that might contribute to the problem: "Minimum Support Area" are set to 10 mm2 in v4.2.1, while in v4.1 it's set to 0 mm2. 

     

    Also, i found support harder to remove with the "Enable Support Interface" enabled - and i found the "Support Wall Line Count" set to 1, a waste of time and filament... 🙂

    in my case , minimum support area in 4.2.1 is 0.0, for both extruders. Sad...

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    I had to reinstall 4.2.0 back. With 4.2.1 couldn't sometimes print simplest things! 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?
    9 hours ago, RudydG said:

    in my case , minimum support area in 4.2.1 is 0.0, for both extruders. Sad...

     

    Ok, i didn't actually test that setting; there was too many other small differences in the profiles in v4.2.1 for me to keep track of, so i downgraded to v4.1. 🙂 (Like material line width set to 0.44, with a 0.4 nozzle; layer width choices was only 0.12, 0.16, 0.20, etc.)

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    What suprise me is that until now, there is no official reaction from Ultimaker. They just leave us with a "defect" product? Or maybe an explanation what we do wrong?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?
    40 minutes ago, RudydG said:

    What suprise me is that until now, there is no official reaction from Ultimaker. They just leave us with a "defect" product? Or maybe an explanation what we do wrong?

     

    I stopped upgrading Cura right after the release quite some time ago, precisely because of such stupid bugs (and to think what would have happened if I upgraded the S5's firmware when the new version came out *shudder*). Seems like "agile" development isn't the best suited strategy for such a complex piece of software...

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    Sure this is the best option for people wo use their equipment professional, and have to deliver! But sometimes you get to confident, and try it anyway. 

    Still, suprises me that this "bug" gets in an official release.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    Has anyone already created a bug for this on GitHub? Because only there can we make sure that someone is looking at it. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    In general it is hard not to make a Cura update, because there are some bugs in every version, which are fixed with the new version. But with the new version there will be other bugs. You have to keep an overview of the bugs to decide which version to use.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?
    6 hours ago, Smithy said:

    Has anyone already created a bug for this on GitHub? Because only there can we make sure that someone is looking at it. 

    Nope, i didn't, even don't know where to do it.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?

    You find it in the Cura Help menu or directly via this link:

    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support creation bug in 4.2.1?
    On 8/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Smithy said:

    In general it is hard not to make a Cura update, because there are some bugs in every version, which are fixed with the new version. But with the new version there will be other bugs. You have to keep an overview of the bugs to decide which version to use.

     

    debugging

    (diːˈbʌɡɪŋ)
    n
    (Computer Science)
    a. the process of replacing known bugs in a program with unknown bugs
     
    😄
     
     
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 8 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...