Posted · UM2, upgrading stepper driver

Hi!

I have been toying with my UM2 for a good while, ugrading to a "+", installing the awesome Mark2 kit, and so on. I have also been playing with a cheap chinese printer, where I added the great and modern Duet2Wifi card. I love that, and especially I do appreciate the silence offered! I do like the UM2 intuitive scroll-wheel and screen, and my wife knows how to use it. So I would like to try to simply silence it down, to keep it modern and working all night long. 
So, to change the stepper drivers for say, X&Y to begin with, what model could be recommended, genuine Watterot 2208? And how "drop in" would it be? I got a cheap solder iron and an itch! I guess its a question of de-soldering, soldering the new ones, the right way around, and a minor change in the software?

So, UM2, changing stepper drivers.. No one that can chime in with any advice or experience?

Well If you find replacement stepperdrivers for the A4988 it would be as easy as "desoldering de A4988 and resolderind the XXXX" (and eventualy change some things in the firmware). But as you can see on the picture below the stepper drivers are very small. For me this change would need very good soldering skills and would still be risky... An ultimaker main board is quite expensive. (Unless you buy a cheap chinese clone)

image.thumb.png.942851c656143f057b07a12b5b86a94e.png

Personnaly I would not try it and rather think to change the whole main board (for a Duet2 Maestro for example) but in this case and do not know how much work it is with the firmware...

Posted (edited) · UM2, upgrading stepper driver

thanks for your answer, Curven!
So you do believe it is possible? If I fail, or I cant do this, I will just replace it with a Duet3d card anyway (which is what I got on my other machine). So... failure is an option! I am not very experienced at soldering, but I think I could de-solder those, and solder in thin wire, jumper cables and add the steppers on those, like this:
014.jpg

EDIT: Obviously the would have to be soldered straight into the board, as there are not connectors there.. but otherwise like this.
015.jpg

That would be a bit messy, but I could accept it.

It would be a solution to keep the machine and user interface as it is, but cut down on the noise. So any of the silent Trinamic ones would work.  Any eventual firmware changes... I guess that might be as complicated again?

Edited by Hertz

If you can take the risk it will anyways be a great challenge and train your skills. But the soldering spots on the mainboard are really small...

As far as I know 2208 (in legacy mode) is a 1:1 replacement for A4988. 2130 is a little bit more tricky, there is something with motor current that cannot go back to the driver or it will be broken. (Sorry for the non technical language... I am french speaking and not from the electronical world...)

On 9/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, Hertz said:

I do like the UM2 intuitive scroll-wheel and screen, and my wife knows how to use it.

Sounds to me you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade to the duet 😛 , you know your wife will learn how to use it in just a few minutes as it's super easy, specially with the "print to duet" plugin in cura....  Also, you'll have the same workflow as on the other machine..  The duet is just the better option imho..

I would suggest you first practice your soldering skills on a broken harddisk or USB memory stick, or whatever else broken equipment with similar small chips. The main risks are that you damage the contacts on the board while desoldering, and next that you make short-circuits while soldering. Search on Youtube for tutorial videos, as there are a few tricks that can help. A video can say more than 1000 words.  :-)

Hi guys! I appreciate all the answers and help. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, Curven said:

If you can take the risk it will anyways be a great challenge and train your skills. But the soldering spots on the mainboard are really small...

As far as I know 2208 (in legacy mode) is a 1:1 replacement for A4988. 2130 is a little bit more tricky, there is something with motor current that cannot go back to the driver or it will be broken. (Sorry for the non technical language... I am french speaking and not from the electronical world...)

Ah, so the 2208 are simple drop-ins? GREAT! That is great news :) Merci! Si vous voudrez, je comprends français. Je suis un étranger qui habit en île-de-France.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, ultiarjan said:

Sounds to me you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade to the duet 😛 , you know your wife will learn how to use it in just a few minutes as it's super easy, specially with the "print to duet" plugin in cura....  Also, you'll have the same workflow as on the other machine..  The duet is just the better option imho..

YES, but also no! I got the Mark2 upgrade installed, and if I can wait a bit longer with the more expensive upgrade and be forced to learn how to re-program the Mark2 part.... Im happy 😉. I got enough on my plate for a little while longer, so one thing at a time.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:13 PM, geert_2 said:

I would suggest you first practice your soldering skills on a broken harddisk or USB memory stick, or whatever else broken equipment with similar small chips. The main risks are that you damage the contacts on the board while desoldering, and next that you make short-circuits while soldering. Search on Youtube for tutorial videos, as there are a few tricks that can help. A video can say more than 1000 words.  :-)

Thanks! I will start with dismanteling a Melzi board and some other useless pieces of e-scrap I got lying around. Cant be THAT hard!

Is there a maximum recommended length for the jumper cables for the drivers? Ill need to start figuring out how to mount them. I am leaning towards heatpaste-glueing them to a big piece of aluminim heatsink, itself glued to the bottom plate.

Actually just reallized something... 2208 is 1:1 replacement for A4988 when it is in this form...

image.thumb.png.8680bb39dc1732fcda74be2206f2c04e.png

Not sure if the outpout of the chip is 1:1 so there might be some work to do to figure out the pinout of both A4988 and TMC2208. You should find this in the tech specs.

p.s: Merci de la proposition, mais en dehors du forum francophone je fais de mon mieux pour écrire anglais, c'est plus pratique pour les autres utilisateurs et cela m'entraîne un peu.

Oh, good catch! I will need to verify that.

I guess that its no idea to try and install the smallform version of the driver? 

Bien pris! 😉

UPDATE: After practising desoldering small components for a few days, I am confident to say that I would just screw it up. So that seemingly easy solution was not that easy! So in the Duet Wifi goes. I already started wiring it in. Just need to find or create a good Config, and make things neat and tidy, as they where.

Posted (edited) · UM2, upgrading stepper driver
On 11/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, Hertz said:

UPDATE: After practising desoldering small components for a few days, I am confident to say that I would just screw it up. So that seemingly easy solution was not that easy! So in the Duet Wifi goes. I already started wiring it in. Just need to find or create a good Config, and make things neat and tidy, as they where.

I have make it come true. super easy! by some wires and two 2208 or other drivers. do some soldering job and done.

If you are still interested in it I will make a post of how to do it.

Frankly, There is a tmc2208 version um2 main board selling on eBay.

Only 120 bucks, drop-in replacement and work perfectly.

All ripples have gone!

Edited by JasonBroker

2 hours ago, JasonBroker said:

I have make it come true. super easy! by some wires and two 2208 or other drivers. do some soldering job and done.

All ripples have gone!

Do you have a link to that offer?

On 12/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, JasonBroker said:

All ripples have gone!

Hello,

can you tell me how you did that? I would very much appreciate that!!