3D Modeling Engineering Software, preferably free

Posted · 3D Modeling Engineering Software, preferably free

Hey, 

I've been using sketchup for a while, originally started out by doing plans for building stuff but now that I'm having to get accurate for 3D printing. I want to get a software alittle more oriented to engineering.

What do you guys recommend?

Hi Oliveros,

I'm happy user of "DesignSpark Mechanical" from RS Online. It needs registration, but is fully free.

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/mechanical-software

You could get a first impression via Youtube.

Regards

How do I do that? I saw Fusion 360 and it seems really cool but I couldn't figure out how to use it, I want a downloaded program, not a browser one since the computer I design on is not on the interweb and won't be.

I also use DesignSpark Mechanical since several years. Its interface concept is close to that of SketchUp, and easy to learn. I never had any software problems when printing these designs (except for my own errors and omissions in the design). As said above, view a couple of Youtube tutorials, and see if it appeals to you. Also do this for other programs on your maybe-list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliveros said:

How do I do that? 

There is an overview of the subscriptions here https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial 

18 hours ago, Oliveros said:

I want a downloaded program, not a browser one since the computer I design on is not on the interweb and won't be.

Fusion360 is indeed a downloaded application, but it is a mix between online and offline. So I am not sure if you can completely work in an offline environment, never tried it, because nowadays you are almost lost with an offline workstation.

But search Google or try it, I know there are possibilities to keep files offline and work with them, so it should be possible.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:22 AM, Oliveros said:

I got Free CAD and I have never done the parametric modeling, only stuff with sketchup and blender so that's gonna take some time to learn.

IMHO it's worth it. There are tons if video tutorials on youtube.

FreeCAD is free to use, no network connection, no registration and no (time-limited) licenses needed (donations are welcome of course).

The usual workflow is quite close to Fusion 360 (though not the user interface) and it can export mesh files (stl) that are well suited for 3D-printing.

In case of Fusion 360 you'll never know how long it works offline. It insists to contact the license server every few weeks (AFAIK) and it performs automatic updates that can't be prevented. If the "free of charge" license model (or any other) comes to an end some day... you'll never be able to read your own files again... I don't say this will happen anytime soon, but it's a risk.
    Those things aside - it's very powerful and the quasi standard nowadays.

Okay awesome, thanks a lot for the feedback.

I'm going to give FreeCad a shot and see how it works, then i'll at least have an idea of how parametric modeling is from sketchup.

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

In case of Fusion 360 you'll never know how long it works offline. It insists to contact the license server every few weeks (AFAIK) and it performs automatic updates that can't be prevented. If the "free of charge" license model (or any other) comes to an end some day... you'll never be able to read your own files again... I don't say this will happen anytime soon, but it's a risk.

Exactly.

This is why I don't want any online CAD service for production work. You never know when a company is bought by another and when their management and policy changes.

Also, you never know if the internet would go down due to technical reasons (fire, storms, cable fracture,...), or their service provider goes bankrupt (=servers that host the software). Or, if their servers are in California, when incompetent or corrupt electricity companies shut down their high-voltage lines and 110V/230V mains due to forest fires. Like very recently when they shut off a million people in California. Maybe you have an offline emergency generator, but there won't be any internet-transmissions if the relay-points have no power. Or if there is a virus attack on the servers, making them unavailable. Or if you live outside of the US, in case of an embargo. Plenty of reasons why the internet-connection mail fail.

If you use an online service, be sure to export your models into a generic format too, such as STEP or IGES (I think), or any other file format that your program can handle well, and that other software can import. Also store the STL and/or OBJ files of it, so you can at least print existing models. Store all those copies offline at your own location on multiple harddisks, kept in different places (in case of fire or theft).

For me I accept the risk, but with Fusion360 I have a software that is up to date. I took a quick look at FreeCad, but the interface reminds me of my youth and is no longer up to date 🙂

And Fusion360 isn't a real online application like Tinkercad, I'd say it's just strongly tied to the cloud and stores everything there. I also have that when I store my regular files in the iCloud or elsewhere. Autodesk also goes the way to the cloud like many others. Either you like it and accept disaster scenarios or you stay offline and look for another software. There are alternatives, especially if you use Windows.

I want to use Fusion 360 or Solidworks, I'm just not willing to pay that much money for it without trying it out properly. 

You don't have to pay for Fusion360, check out the site, there are several options to get a free license.

I just tried it, can't seem to load it, my screen just goes white.

Perhaps I'll stick with Sketchup.

Posted (edited) · 3D Modeling Engineering Software, preferably free

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators

You can download it under free education license. Just create a simple account with your email or just sign in if you already have your autodesk account. It just takes a little while to get a hang of it but once you do it you'll certainly love it. There are tons of free resources to learn  at https://academy.autodesk.com/ or through youtube. But better to stick with autodesk and take some free courses there you'll learn much faster than running around at YouTube. 

Cheers!!!!

Edited by Rabin_Dhamala

Here’s the link for the personal use license.

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

Thanks guys.

Will I be able to install it and use it without internet? My modeling computer is kept strictly offline so I need something that'll download as a program and just run.

Probably not. It requires you to log in at a minimum.

Well, that won't work then. 

darn.

I am curious why your modeling system is strictly offline?

Just a security concern.