S5 auto change to other print head/spool when out during print

Projects

Posted · S5 auto change to other print head/spool when out during print

It seems like it should be an option on Cura 4.4 but I don't see it. If I load the same filament into both materials, it seems there should be a way for the UM5 to auto switch if/when filament runs out mid print. I would love to have this feature.

we have ordered the material handling station but they have not actually released it yet...so I am stuck. We run 2x UM5s nearly 24/7. With the machines not pushing notifications to us that filament ran out, we have to keep a very close eye on things and I find myself with many almost out spools that I have to manage trying to find good times to use up.

Thanks for any help on this...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Projects said:

It seems like it should be an option on Cura 4.4 but I don't see it. If I load the same filament into both materials, it seems there should be a way for the UM5 to auto switch if/when filament runs out mid print. I would love to have this feature.

It isn't. Cura can't have this as an option, since how would Cura know if the printer ran out if it's printing on its own.

Theoretically it could be possible for the machine to do this, but it will be very tricky to get right. A more general solution is the material station, which is the one we went for in favour of the others. This does leave you in a bit of a limbo state for the moment though.

• Like 1

I guess I figured it would know it ran out and that the other material is the same and go ahead and heat up that hot end and use all the same parameters and continue on.

It would indeed be a great feature for people who dont wan't or can afford a Multi Material station. Or thoose who just occasionnaly need this feature.

But nallath is right, it's more a firmware feature than a Cura feature

• Like 1

Maybe in cura there could be a "combine like materials" setting. This way, when the code is posted to the printer the firmware could interpret the material change. I am sure the material station works nearly exactly this way...its all the same computer/firmware, its just how it manages the materials locally to the printer.

Much like pushing notifications to my phone when the filament runs out, this seems like an easy alteration to what already exists (push notifications to phone when job is done already exists). Material handling already exists on the firmware for the material station, effectively the printer without the material station has a material station of 2 materials...it is the same function. Shrug, you guys are busy working on things, you will eventually get it worked out. I know there is a potential that this functionality could reduce cash flow for you guys because the material station would lose sales if the printer could manage 2 materials without the station, but I hope that would not deter the option being added to the S5.

Posted (edited) · S5 auto change to other print head/spool when out during print

I also think this would be a great feature/option for the dual head Ultimaker printers. And not that impossible to implement, there might be a small deviation in in layer where the changes happens, but probably not more then what a spool changes will make. a sacrifice I personally wouldn't mind for the extra option.

Edited by NBull
    • Like 1