Cura on Kubuntu 18.04 starts with a white upper right quarter of the window (SOLVED)

anoxde

Posted (edited) · Cura on Kubuntu 18.04 starts with a white upper right quarter of the window (SOLVED)

Hi everyone,

after migrating to a brand new Linux Version (Kubuntu 18.04) and Cura 4.5 appimage, I got a weird problem... Cura starts quickly and smoothly, but the upper right quarter of the window remains white and some other icons are missing also. Cura works, I can click on everything visible and get the right reactions, but not in the upper right quarter. This quarter remains, even if I downsize the whole window, it's not a problem of the screen. Also, other programs (gimp, libreoffice...) work without that problem. Restarts didn't help.

Out of curiosity I also donwloaded cura 4.4.1., and here IT'S THE SAME PROBLEM!

What can I do? After so many months, Cura (with my recent problems with the old 4.2.1) seems not to like me anymore 😉 ...

Didn't find anything similar here yet, so I hope to get some ideas to get over that from anyone 🙂

Screenshot_20200306_014551.png

Screenshot_20200306_015020.png

Screenshot_20200306_015317.png

cura.log stderr.log

Edited by anoxde

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Cura on Kubuntu 18.04 starts with a white upper right quarter of the window (SOLVED)

This problem is solved, Kubuntu provided some little system updates in the last few days, now Cura is running! Don't know what exactly solved it, but I am not such a nerd that this would interest me really 😉

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Cura on Kubuntu 18.04 starts with a white upper right quarter of the window (SOLVED)

Hi !

So to solve this problem you simply updated your system ?
    I still have the problem and I'm keeping the system updated.
    Interestingly until yesterday Cura 3.6.0 was working nice on my Linux but right now also the 3.6.0 is not working anymore and even worse, all the menu are invisible now !!
    What is going on ?
    I have a Kubuntu 18.04 but I'm using LXDE as GUI.  Everything else is working (GIMP/pictures/etc) but not ANY version of Cura.
    There are some specific requirements about Python or libraries or hardware ?

Very very annoying not be able to use Cura on my Linux machine.

Eventually there is the possibility to run Cura in a server with Web interface ?

Thanks 

Hi!

Yes, simply updating Kubuntu did the trick for me!

But, this maybe more important to you, the problems on my old system (see my other post below, where I described nearly the same problems as yours) were solved by clearing the cura cache. There is a directory /.cache/cura/ in your home directory, which I simply renamed and after that cura works as smoothly as before, it created a new cache folder and I deleted the old one. Since then all is perfect! Good Luck!

Thanks

Yes, I did try to erase the cache but nothing.
    I actually found another version of cure, probably not really "official" and ... tadaaaaa, is working !!!
    I wonder what is the difference between that one (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0 ) and the official one.
    Anyway as now, Cura 3.6.0,  4.4.1 and 4.5.0 downloaded from the official site are NOT working on my machine.
    The one downloaded from Dropbox works perfectly.
    Why ?   Don't know !

Thanks !!

So that link - I checked it - didn't want you posting virus infected versions 🙂  

It's created by a user on this forum named burtoogle - I know him personally and I trust him.  But of course he could be inserting evil code in there.  I use his versions of cura myself as they slice better, have better defaults in the profiles, and fewer bugs.

It makes sense to be wary. The safest way to use my (or any other) release would be to build from source because then you could check for "evil code" and be confident that what you build is not going to lock the contents of your hard drive until you pay a king's ransom. Building Cura is not rocket science but it's tedious enough to put most people off.

Good to know guys 🙂 and thank you burtoogle 🙂
    Kind of conflicting messages about trust 🙂 but anyway I did find the link on this forum looking for clues/answers, I assumed there was  some control on the links and I have some protection anyway on my Linux machine.
    St
    ill, wonder why that version works perfectly on my distro and the official ones not.

Thanks !