Print core CC with Ultimaker 3 E - any solution?

zorwick

Posted (edited) · Print core CC with Ultimaker 3 E - any solution?

Hello there,

There were topics about the 0.6 print core CC and a lot of talk about how to use it with U3 (incompatible feeder). BUT, everybody just repeating the feeder issue and seems nobody tried it, at least I don't find any conversation about it. So I have an U3E, I replaced the feeders to Bondtech, which works fine. Now I have a CC print core, trying to play with the XSTRAND PA6 material.

I have made the necessary modifications in the code for the Bondtech feeders, according to this:

https://support.bondtech.se/Guide/01.+DDG+For+Ultimaker+2++and+3/16?lang=en

And it works juts fine with normal materials and print cores.

I installed the CC core and modified the gcode for the it, according to this:

http://gr5.org/cores/

The printer recognize the core, however before the actual printing starts, the printer shows a message that I have to override the setting, so it used as a 0.4 core. There is no option here, only click OK. I guess it is coming from Cura, because that does not recognize 0.6 CC core, so I have to set 0.4 print core. I made a custom profile for the CC core,  with 'line width' 0.58mm and so on... (copied from the S3 settings for the 0.6 CC core)

So I load the XSTRAND material press "OK" for all error messages. The print starts, the material is amazing, beautiful, the print goes well, until the core has to move to an "island" location. The oozing starts like hell. I have the same result as this guy (with Ultimaker 5S): 

Settings for the XSTRAND PA6 material (as suggested by the material manufacture in the post above):

Retract 12 MM at a sped of 40 mm/s

first layer height of 0.12 mm for 0.1 mm layers

Adhesion solution: Glue Stick

printing speed: 40 mm/s

Print temp: 240°C

Regular Fan Speed:  50%

Build Plate Temp: 60°C

Infill Speed: 50 mm/s

Initial Layer speed 20 mm/s

Minimum Speed 5 mm/s

Minimum Layer Time: 3 s

Build Plate Adhesion: skirt

So here my first print:

IMG_20200417_111839.thumb.jpg.5d1bf38dee5e40d30efda83fd3ad69b5.jpg

Anybody used CC print core with U3/E? Any experience? Any suggestions?

IMG_20200417_111839.jpg

Edited by zorwick
double image

• 1 year later...
    Posted · Print core CC with Ultimaker 3 E - any solution?

Have you found a solution to this yet? 

I also have a UM3 with bond tech extruders installed and am wanting to print with the CC 0.6 print core, mostly to print NylonX and NylonG.

After seeing your post today, I played around with CURA package files and made some progress getting the CC print core to show up for the UM3. (I have not tried printing yet)

1643521098_ScreenShot2022-02-07at12_54_18PM.thumb.png.e2689f4404d1877a11202690371f7f03.png

After much experimenting and browsing the CURA package files, I found that the cores are controlled through the printer 'variants'. 

On Mac, these files are found /Applications/Ultimaker Cura.app/Contents/Resources/resources/variants

1973649086_ScreenShot2022-02-07at12_57_34PM.thumb.png.80b3e818380b87e434aae8ee4729f337.png

I simply made a copy of the ultimaker_s3_cc06.inst.cfg file and renamed it to ultimaker3_cc06.inst.cfg and then edited the definition field inside the file to Ultimaker 3 matching for format of the um3 aa0.4 file. 

1290187531_ScreenShot2022-02-07at12_56_46PM.thumb.png.8f53847796fb0d6f2f65e5965641f871.png

The final ultimaker3_cc06.inst.cfg looks like this:

[general]
    name = CC 0.6
    version = 4
    definition = ultimaker3

[metadata]
    setting_version = 19
    type = variant
    hardware_type = nozzle

[values]
    brim_width = 7
    machine_nozzle_cool_down_speed = 0.9
    machine_nozzle_id = CC 0.6
    machine_nozzle_size = 0.6
    raft_acceleration = =acceleration_print
    raft_airgap = 0.3
    raft_base_thickness = =resolveOrValue('layer_height_0') * 1.2
    raft_interface_line_spacing = =raft_interface_line_width + 0.2
    raft_interface_line_width = =line_width * 2
    raft_interface_thickness = =layer_height * 1.5
    raft_jerk = =jerk_print
    raft_margin = 15
    raft_surface_layers = 2
    retraction_count_max = 25
    retraction_min_travel = =line_width * 2
    retraction_prime_speed = =retraction_speed
    speed_infill = =speed_print
    speed_layer_0 = 20
    speed_print = 45
    speed_support = =speed_topbottom
    speed_topbottom = =math.ceil(speed_print * 25 / 45)
    speed_travel_layer_0 = 50
    speed_wall = =math.ceil(speed_print * 30 / 45)
    speed_wall_0 = =math.ceil(speed_wall * 25 / 30)
    speed_wall_x = =speed_wall
    support_angle = 60
    support_bottom_distance = =support_z_distance / 2
    support_pattern = zigzag
    support_top_distance = =support_z_distance
    support_use_towers = True
    support_z_distance = =layer_height * 2
    switch_extruder_prime_speed = =switch_extruder_retraction_speeds
    switch_extruder_retraction_amount = =machine_heat_zone_length
    top_bottom_thickness = =layer_height * 6
    wall_thickness = =line_width * 3

I am however still having issues with NylonX showing as not compatible, but I assume this is due to the material file not being compatible with the UM3. I'm not sure where CURA stores 3rd party material files though, so will have to keep playing with this to get it to work. If anyone knows where these are stored, please do let me know. 

1131539596_ScreenShot2022-02-07at1_01_23PM.thumb.png.558787ec16c471e4c4c55a5310a0c6bb.png

Hopefully this helps you make some progress on your end. Would be super interested what your status is on getting this to work. 

-Tim

• Like 2

That's all very nice and good but a lot of work it seems.

There is a MUCH simpler solution.

First of all realize that the profiles are not some magic thing.  nylon with glass fibers prints at the same exact settings as plain nylon.  Most profiles are not heavily researched.  So here's what you do:

Select AA 0.4 core.  Select any generic nylon.  Set "line width" to 0.6 (all the line widths).  Slice it.  Print it.

There will be a complaint about the wrong kind of printcore.  Ignore it.

Okay - I just realized this is my advice for UM3 printers with 3dsolex cores that are programmed as AA 0.4.  The printer might not allow the ignore step?  I'm not certain.  If that's a problem then I can help you reprogram the CC core to look like AA 0.4.  But I don't think that is necessary.  I think you can just tell the printer to ignore the fact that it's not the expected core.

So the premise behind all this is that the "generic nylon AA 0.4" profile difference from "nylon GF CC 0.6" profile by only the tiny change that you change line width from 0.4 to 0.6.

• Like 1

Just saw your post after a lot more work in the ssh terminal of the UM3. I would tend to agree your method is far simpler and definitely the one I would have gone with had I understood it previously.

That being said, more progress has been made:

I have gotten the printer to not complain about the CC print core in it. I can even send the print via the cloud print utility and it shows up correctly.

The generic PLA material is natively compatible with the CC print core on S3/S5 and that compatibility its set in the material file stored /usr/share/fdm_materials/generic_pla.xml.fdm_material.

All I had to do was add the following under the list of hotend's supported for that printer. 

<hotend id="CC 0.6">                                                               

<setting key="hardware compatible">yes</setting>                              

<setting key="standby temperature">100</setting>                              

<setting key="retraction amount">6.5</setting>                                

</hotend>     

297955750_ScreenShot2022-02-07at11_55_52PM.thumb.png.d8be0484fa3aa1d991b90b91eea29c5c.png

I have now gone into CURA and made a copy of the generic PLA profile and copied over all the setting from the official matter hackers NylonX and saved that as a profile. 

I haven't tested the NylonX print yet since I didn't want to get out my drybox, but I did send a print with normal PLA through the CC 0.6 print core and the printer, CURA, and the cloud print portal all seem happy.

530112182_IMG_0148Small.jpeg.6caa7a589bf7c8cb8a34f96116eb7b1e.jpeg738209343_ScreenShot2022-02-07at11_40_25PM.thumb.png.0c6e9d4d0e14c957a75b6e86b50db258.png

• Like 2

This is great.  Be warned that if you upgrade Cura you will lose that work you did so document what you did very well.

Also be warned that if you upgrade your printer firmware you will lose the change you did there as well (although that seems much simpler).

• 11 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Hello good afternoon to everyone.  I have a Uktimaker 3 and I wanted to install the bondtech and be able to print with a printcore CC 0.6.  I have tried to do what you say but I am not able!  can someone help me step by step?  thank you so much !

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not that hard you just have to add the CC profile as listed above. The you just print and ignore/click continue anyway to the notices.

You have lots of choices. 

Is the CC core programmed as a CC core or as an AA core.  Hopefully it's programmed as an "AA 0.4".  So you just use an AA 0.4 profile designed for the same material - for example if you have Nylon CF then in cura set it for generic nylon.  If you have PETG GF filament then set it for generic PETG.  The only setting you have to override is line width.  Set that to 0.6mm to match the actual core.  Slice, and print.  Done.  No warnings to "ignore".

Realize that the UM3 series printers do NOT have hardened feeders so you might want to get a bondtech DDG feeder to replace your existing feeders.  You should do both feeders because the DDG has a different value for steps/mm and on the UM3 you can't change steps/mm for only one feeder - you have to do it for both.

If you don't upgrade the feeders, any abrasive filaments (glass fill, carbon fill, etc) will gradually wear down the sharp points in the feeder that grip the filament.  The tips will get rounded and you will loose pressure/strength from the feeder.  Filaments will slip and you will get underextrusion and you will want to throw the whole printer in the trash.  At that point remember "oh - I was told this would happen - I need the DDG feeders".