S5 losing network connection

aag

Posted (edited) · S5 losing network connection

On long prints, my S5 loses periodically its internet connection (ethernet cable). The first few hours of any print are OK, then I start getting messages on the browser that "the printer cannot be reached" and that "no detailed information is available". That goes for a few minutes, then the printer reappears - for a while - and then it disappears again. The printer is pingable at all times, and the video stream from the camera is always available. I wonder whether I am the only one with this issue.

image.thumb.png.c2a1948dd75c4436b547d0b09659c880.png

image.thumb.png.e07c44e70205e6916c20d59f58511804.png

Edited by aag

Posted · S5 losing network connection

Nope happens on both my S5's, they got lost for a min or so then come back, then bit later it happens again. It's a pain but at lest they come back by selfs after a min. It seems to have always happened from launch of the printer for me. Both ethernet linked also.

OK, thanks. I thought that my LAN may have a problem, but this is the only device that does that. For a printer in this price class, this is not a great assurance of quality...

• 1 year later...

When I got my S5, last week,  I first tried to connect to it via wifi to discover it tries to create it's own wifi hotspot. WHY!!!??

This is a MAJOR security failure, don't give my neighbors another hotspot to connect to, how is it securing that hotspot?

Bottom line I never saw the hotspot and to connect to so I gave up and just connected it directly to my Ethernet network.

Only to discover that this is a challenge as well. Come on Ultimaker devices have been effortlessly connecting to Ethernet for 2 decades now, this is not a difficult thing to do.

So I connect to my network, when I press network it show the IP address which is in range of my available IP addresses.

But I can't ping the printer.

So I turn the printer off and turn it back on and it then comes up with a wild ass ip address that is not even within the ip range for my network.  I can also ping the wild ass IP address and it comes back.

So fine this will be the IP address lets print.

By the end of the print the IP address switches back to the IP that is in my network range, and once again I can't talk to the printer.

WTF Ulimaker, you can create a machine that does amazing things but can't figure out how to put it on a network?

Hi all I'm having a similar problem to this.

Ultimaker S5,  connected Via Ethernet, After power up the printer will connect to Cura over the network but after a while will change IP address (to something completely different and drops off the network.

Setting up an IP reservation in the router seems to work when the printer is powered on, but after a while the IP address will change to something random and the reservation is ignored.

Setting the printer to a static IP address also doesn't work.  It will work after power on but again after a while the network connection drops out.  The IP address on the printer screen looks correct but Cura cannot reach it, and trying to ping the device fails with request timed out.

I've tried Latest and Stable firmware, (Currently on Stable 6.5.3)

Chatting with our IT support I got the following response:

"it's starting to look like the printer isn't responding to "ARP" requests/sending out dhcp reqests after it's booted"

We have an Ultimaker 3 Extended that works fine on our network and has done since 2019  I've tried swapping cables and network ports over incase the problem lay with them but it still persists.

If anyone can shed any light / point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
    Dan.

Well when you switch the printer to direct IP that disables DHCP.  DHCP is how devices ask the local router for an IP address so if it's static there shouldn't be a need for DHCP except maybe to get a DNS address possibly.

So I would turn off the static IP address and ask the IT people to check it one more time.

I strongly suspect the problem is hardware.  I think that random address is what it switches to when it doesn't detect any network at all.

So you tried a different cable but I'd try a different port in the building.  Just to see if that helps.  Maybe swap with a port used by a device that you know works fine.

Thanks for the response,

We tried the Static IP after the DHCP kept failing,  only to find, that while the display on the S5 is showing the static IP, it's no longer visible and not responding to pings.

I'd previously swapped the ports and cables between the S5 and our 3 Extended to rule that out,  but haven't tried swapping them back since the static IP was put in place, so I'll try that today.

mine is quite often on and off, and we have a gig connection here.

When im at home, the digital library is painfully slow as well i have found. When it works it works great i must add, very convenient. I often find it loses connection when im uploading a job which causes Cura to just hang at "uploading model" that never gets there, i have to save the project, close it, reopen it and send it again.

Hi, 
    Did somebody find the reason? 

I have precisely the same issue. 
    The funny part is I can ping my printer but it is offline. Sometimes it toggles on/off in The Cura. 

I did solve the problem by switching from cura on my imac to cura on my Windows 10 PC.

Now I can update my materials.

I do have to say that Ultimaker is seems to be making this harder than it should be.

I also had a FormLabs resin based machine where a connection has never been a problem.

• Like 1

It's the same problem over and over again, and Ultimaker doesn't seem to care at all about their expensive trash not even having a working WiFi connectivity.

Again today my S5 refuses connection with Cura, even though it shows up on the network and in the available printers list with the correct IP in settings, hitting Connect brings it up in Cura for a second and then it disappears again.

Extremely poor of Ultimaker they cannot fix this known issue!

On 1/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, X-Type said:

It's the same problem over and over again, and Ultimaker doesn't seem to care at all about their expensive trash not even having a working WiFi connectivity.

Again today my S5 refuses connection with Cura, even though it shows up on the network and in the available printers list with the correct IP in settings, hitting Connect brings it up in Cura for a second and then it disappears again.

Extremely poor of Ultimaker they cannot fix this known issue!

I would check out Ultimaker Platform network requirements (makerbot.com)
    See the section about "Local Network"
    Usually, it's something on the network or the computer causing this issue..

Also, if your networks DHCP server keeps assigning a new IP to your S5 every time it is turned on Cura generally does not like this.

Additionally, if your S5 is (or was at one time) connected to Digital Factory it could be causing some funkiness as well.
    It might be worth doing a Digital Factory Reset from the touch screen
    (This will wipe out your local print history on the machine but also "forget" and possible old connections to Digital Factory)

This is not the same as a factory reset so xy calibrations etc should not be affected. 

Knowing the firmware version number on your S5 could potentially point to some reasons as well as some versions were released to increase network stability.