UM3E Print Resolution

Posted (edited) · UM3E Print Resolution

I am at a loss.

I have a 2+ and it prints beautifully.

I recently bought a 3E, hoping it'd be the better machine, and I have had nothing but troubles.

The print looks sloppy (see pictures).  It appears to be under-extruding to me, but I have tried everything.

IMG_8496.thumb.JPG.ddca24d9a239c9d74c7a855f5954e8d6.JPGIMG_8365.thumb.JPG.987adfdf26217b8b783d70eb88b04174.JPG

I have tried different filaments.

I bought a new AA0.4 print core

I manually leveled the bed.

Active leveling is on and functioning.

I tensioned the belts

I cleaned and messed with the feeder

I've decreased print speed to achingly slow speeds

I've increased material flow.

I've decreased material flow.

I've played with bed temperature.

I've played with nozzle temperature.

I've reset defaults.

I have tried countless GCode manipulations.

I've even uninstalled CURA to get defaults back and tried that.  No dice.

And for some reason, I cannot get it to print correctly.

Here is the 2+ raft (left) next to the 3E raft (right)

image0.thumb.jpeg.6e79fd88d51a69dbe7df6a9b251f85f7.jpeg

Here is a 3E print next to a 2+ print

RenderedImage.thumb.JPG.705ae5753597203e43230af769a654c8.JPG

Here is the first layer

IMG_8404.thumb.JPG.83c84fc6fb523f45ea94b736139f4541.JPG

Here it is printing

61388383723__FF60DD58-BE4A-4F08-8B78-9AA42AFB4803.thumb.JPG.faf7f61ac188621964d26322806f13c3.JPG

You can see the raft has holes in it if held up to light

IMG_8409.thumb.JPG.d26a04a8a3c82ce3f190b8b6ea537088.JPG

Here is a 20% infill

IMG_8497.thumb.JPG.a15d5d9a2829e7ce46c8a96cb8c1612d.JPG

here is the 3E print next to a 2+ print

you can see differences in 3E quality because i tried changing speed and material flow on the interface

The most beautiful part (just below middle of the picture) of the 3E print was at an abysmal 20mm/s

And it still isn't as smooth as the 2+

IMG_8369.thumb.JPG.5f25216bb2fcc98581952edec5a90435.JPG

Please help!

IMG_8404.JPG

Edited by Crono986

Bump.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I've played with temperatures.  Rope test is fine.  Any help at all.104102813_855905791569788_1032196799066312559_n.thumb.jpg.626bd42ba8e6fd7332b6c02ff4fe50b4.jpg

104419805_701844673936688_2894891460290341981_n.thumb.jpg.edf472f2b78fd93b11a1a9e13e155d25.jpg104490396_265458091347352_164065163204059679_n.thumb.jpg.df9aaa5b3b28736590c8ac2216bb870f.jpg104450760_272797377243727_4502021140455513781_n.thumb.jpg.ed516e48edd00dc9db1f0d45e449885e.jpg104374439_1592872984224193_6074046294159444986_n.thumb.jpg.013c211c3f01f72b421f4a3fa17b6958.jpg

Here is my test cube.

Edited by Crono986

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted · UM3E Print Resolution

Bump again.

I have tried everything and would really appreciate some help.

I have done everything from:

replacing card, tensioned belts, lubed axles, played with cura settings, including:

changing print speed, acceleration, and control, editing layer height - just about anything i can think of

the Y axis has trouble lining up.  here are some images.

1.thumb.jpg.1df6e5290f5cb7cc8e244ca4d7f81cc1.jpg

UM3E on top, UM2+ on the bottom.  Look at the inside of the C and O

2.thumb.jpg.b3deb43ef5d4f49a70cc517feed71267.jpg

The 2+ is almost perfectly aligned

3.thumb.jpg.2403a42ea3cd40f336edf289b0c6fde6.jpg

the 3E is shoddy by comparison

Here are the Y faces of the Um3E test cube, left is 0.06mm layer height and right is 0.15mm layer height at 30mm/s

4.thumb.jpg.dce37f92c0bc6cace8105bc2c8394aa6.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2cc1835ad2e54756dd05398211dcbddf.jpg

The X face is actually quite sharp, but you can tell the layers don't line up with one another because the Y face is shoddy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Replaced silicone covers.  Did an XY calibration.  No dice.

I'm about to send this back to Memphis to have them work on it, but the price tag of that whole procedure is high.

I am imploring this forum one last time.  Can anybody help me??

Hi Crono986

I write that you don't think we are ignoring your problem, but I guess and thats also my problem, that you have already tried all the good advises we normally give. Why in your case nothing helps is a good question and to be honest I don't know.

Is this a new printer or a used one? 

In case of a new printer I would really get in touch with your reseller. In my opinion there is something wrong with the printer, but on the other hand you have nearly replaced or checked everything which could cause the issues.

It looks like a buffer underrun. Have a look at

Perhaps you mentioned it and I missed it, but what filament are you using? Is it a new spool? @nallath, could that explain that even the first layer / or the Cura generated helper; raft already looks grungy?

57 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Perhaps you mentioned it and I missed it, but what filament are you using? Is it a new spool? @nallath, could that explain that even the first layer / or the Cura generated helper; raft already looks grungy?

It could, but I don't think so. The pictures in the topic I linked to look a lot like the issues described here.

After doing all this stuff, and still so bad prints, i would seriously doubt the filament. Did you change that? Would be my first thing to do.

I you situation i would:

1 change filament

2 change settings to a default fine setting

3 change printcore.

4 change extruder (you can set the default to printcore2, and thereby you can elimate the feeder / bowden)

4 all the rest you already did.

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Hi Crono986

I write that you don't think we are ignoring your problem, but I guess and thats also my problem, that you have already tried all the good advises we normally give. Why in your case nothing helps is a good question and to be honest I don't know.

Is this a new printer or a used one? 

In case of a new printer I would really get in touch with your reseller. In my opinion there is something wrong with the printer, but on the other hand you have nearly replaced or checked everything which could cause the issues.

Thank you for the reply.

It is a used printer from a previously certified Ultimaker reseller (they don't sell Ultimaker any more).  They have been troubleshooting this with me for two months.

I believe, since all the forums and Facebook groups and people I have talked to have given me their advice and I have still been unable to solve it - that sending it back to Ultimaker is likely my last course of action.

Can I at least get confirmation that this print quality is not normal?

5 hours ago, nallath said:

It looks like a buffer underrun. Have a look at

That does look like my issue, except the test cubes are incredibly low poly and are not cylindrical.  I will try again with lower resolution STL and report back.

I have used filament from Hatchbox, Ultimaker, Gizmoworks, E-Sun, and Overture.

No dice.  Despite the low print quality, I am still able to use it to print load-bearing, non-aesthetic parts - which is what I have been doing.

If you ask me regarding the printquality, my UM2+ is my best, then the UM3, followed by the S5.

But the prints you show here are not ok, and the difference between PQ for all these machines are minor.

Maybe we can do a test with the same settings and filament, and exchange pictures from the results, so you can judge?

I have mostly tough pla from Polymaker, and for budget i use makerfill.

Send me the file + settings (i advice standard 0.15 default)

Greetings

Edited by RudydG
    • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crono986 said:

Can I at least get confirmation that this print quality is not normal?

Yes I can confirm that this quality is not normal.

Please come back when you have done the test with an STL in lower resolution and maybe you can also try RudydG's offer to compare the prints.

RudyG,

Please link me the filament to purchase, and go ahead and send me your GCode.
    I will load your GCode and filament and do the print.

That way, there is without question a hardware problem.

Also, I appreciate all the help.  Thank you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crono986 said:

RudyG,

Please link me the filament to purchase, and go ahead and send me your GCode.
    I will load your GCode and filament and do the print.

That way, there is without question a hardware problem.

I use this 90% of the time:

https://eu.polymaker.com/product/polymax-pla/ mostly white and light grey, also blue, yellow and black

For the object, we can use the testblock u pictured in you post. 

I have no problem going through Cura and sending screenshots of my settings, but wouldn't using the equivalent GCODE file be better?

2 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Sorry, i don't use PETG, this is not the same as Tough-pla Polymax

Rudy, my mistake.  I thought "PolyMax" was Tough PLA.

I'm having trouble finding it in 2.85mm

Do you have a direct purchase link?

I've pulled the trigger on black.  I'll let you know when it comes in, and we can share a common test print.

Can you please share with me a GCode for a UM3E?

Or we can do it manually by going through all the settings, whichever you prefer.

11 minutes ago, Crono986 said:

I've pulled the trigger on black.  I'll let you know when it comes in, and we can share a common test print.

Can you please share with me a GCode for a UM3E?

Or we can do it manually by going through all the settings, whichever you prefer.

It’s likely best if you share the .3mf file as that saves your settings and stl in a Cura project file. Just go to file and save after you have loaded the stl into Cura.

• Like 2

I think it'd be best if someone other than myself provided the slicing STL / settings - that way we can eliminate that as a variable.