Filament error message

simo91

Posted · Filament error message

Hello I am very new to this community and just got my ultimaker s3 set up yesterday. I am running a 1.75mm PC filament print using the aa .4 nozzle with the bed set to 115c nozzle at 180c and a flow rate of 140%, I have great adhesion using a brim but after the brim and first 2 layers of the parts were printed I get a strange error message where it thinks the filament has run out, I can resume the print, and get maybe 1 min of run time with the printer, but then the same error message. The filament is in the feeder and has good tension on it, maybe too much (i can see the teeth marks in the filament running through the feed tubes) but I cannot figure out why this keeps happening. This has happened with both the included UM holder and the one included in the picture. Does anyone have any thoughts?

MVIMG_20200812_091138.jpg

MVIMG_20200812_091128.jpg

You can't use 1.75mm filament with Ultimaker printers.

The filament sensor is ignored the first layer (or 2?).  It's not turning the sensor.  You can disable the sensor in the menus.  But you shouldn't be using 1.75mm filament with this printer.

First of all 140% is not enough.  2.85^2/1.75^2 is 2.65 so you should be using 265% for the flow.

Doing those 2 things, changing flow to 265% (easier to change in cura, not on display) and turning off filament sensor will allow you to print but you will get bad quality prints and you will have to print slow.  But worst, the melted filament will be sliding upwards in the core and can get up to the cool section of the core and cool down and cause a clog in your core and you will have to disassemble the core to unjam it or buy a new one).

So now you have to do a 3rd thing: print very slow.  Try 20mm/sec.  Or even 10mm/sec.  Or even 5mm/sec.  You will know you are going too fast when you ruin your core.  I have a youtube video that shows how to take it apart without destroying it.  I guess the speed you were doing on your first layer is a good speed as you didn't wreck it yet.

You have a very expensive printer.   Filament is cheap in comparison.  If you don't have any printers that take 1.75mm filament just throw out the spool or donate to someone who has such a printer.

People often complain "I can't get this special filament I need in 3mm".  Everytime they say that to me I show them where they can buy the filament they need.  One part of the trouble is sometimes it's called "3mm" and sometimes "2.85mm".  Don't search based on diameter - search for what you need (e.g. PC/ABS) and *then* try to find 3mm version in the same store.  printedSolid.com is good source for filament in USA.

30 minutes ago, simo91 said:

Hello I am very new to this community and just got my ultimaker s3 set up yesterday. I am running a 1.75mm PC filament print using the aa .4 nozzle with the bed set to 115c nozzle at 180c and a flow rate of 140%, I have great adhesion using a brim but after the brim and first 2 layers of the parts were printed I get a strange error message where it thinks the filament has run out, I can resume the print, and get maybe 1 min of run time with the printer, but then the same error message. The filament is in the feeder and has good tension on it, maybe too much (i can see the teeth marks in the filament running through the feed tubes) but I cannot figure out why this keeps happening. This has happened with both the included UM holder and the one included in the picture. Does anyone have any thoughts?

MVIMG_20200812_091138.jpg

MVIMG_20200812_091128.jpg

Use 2.85 or turn off the flow sensor. Why are you using 1.75?

11 minutes ago, lrodriguez said:

"...or turn off the flow sensor." 

I would still recommend to switch to 2.85mm. The entire extrusion train and flow calculations are dialed in for 2.85mm filament. 

• Like 1

Ah good to know. How do I disabled my flow sensor and the print managed to finish the pieces, although I did start getting over extrusion at 150% flow. Maybe its a filament compatibility issue, also had some minor bridging so i may reduce the head temp. Thank you for your help I will order some of the correct filament today.

-Kieran

• Like 1