Rename printer not working?

drgearsmith

Posted · Rename printer not working?

What version of Cura are you running ?... Just tried this through v4.7.1 and it works fine aside from one small thing - if you rename a printer and then rename it back to what it was originally, it will automatically append the name with a numeric ( print name #2 for example ) while leaving the original name unusable. 

Possible work around - if you are looking to rename the printer to change the prefix Cura attaches to file names, there's an addon on the marketplace by Ahoeben aka FieldOfView called "Custom Printjob Naming" that works beautifully. 

Forgive me for not knowing in what version I exacly fixed this, but I do know that i recently fixed an issue with this. I'm fairly sure it was fixed for 4.8.

The issue was that a rename wasn't marking the machine as "dirty" (eg; needing to be saved to file again). You can still get the name to "stick" as a work around by changing the selected quality / material.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Rename printer not working?
    On 10/23/2020 at 3:43 AM, nallath said:

Forgive me for not knowing in what version I exacly fixed this, but I do know that i recently fixed an issue with this. I'm fairly sure it was fixed for 4.8.

The issue was that a rename wasn't marking the machine as "dirty" (eg; needing to be saved to file again). You can still get the name to "stick" as a work around by changing the selected quality / material.

Hey Thank you nallath, I'll give it a try. --- 5 minutes later... Yep, it worked!

Edited by drgearsmith

I had the same problem today and ran into this thread. Wow. Such a simple and random error to happen all the way in 4.7. I would have expected this in like, a beta release. I'm more curious as to how this could even happen. 

2 hours ago, thanhtacles said:

I had the same problem today and ran into this thread. Wow. Such a simple and random error to happen all the way in 4.7. I would have expected this in like, a beta release. I'm more curious as to how this could even happen. 

That's the thing with complex systems; It makes total sense why something is happening when you know it's going on, but it's not always easy to predict how something wil behave.

In this specific case, it would mark something as dirty if you changed anything else. We simply didn't test the exact scenario of renaming a printer, make no other changes, close down cura, and then check if that was stored. We did have tests to change the name, but to speed things up a bit, it also changed other things.

Once it was reported, it was easy enough to fix. Unfortunately not a whole lot people use the beta, so it's quite often that issues like this slip through.

Hello all,

Did anyone find a fix to this problem? I am experiencing the same problem. I am running Cura v4.7.0 on Windows 10.

Yes the solution is 3 posts above.

For your convenience, it is fixed in 4.8

Posted (edited) · Rename printer not working?

THIS is NOT fixed.  I have version 4.8.0 and it is doing exactly the same as above.  Puts a Number after I try to fix / rename the Printer.  Annoying.

ALL I want to do is rename the Printers.  I have (3) Ender 5 Pros and (2) Ender 3 Max(s).  Amazingly even though they are Crealitys best selling Printers, they are printers that Ultimaker seems to think do not Exist.  So I have to call it a Ender 5 and an Ender 3 Pro and fix the build dimensions manually.

Anyway I need the file name prefixes to say CE3, CE3Fast, and CE5....they say CE3Pro, can't do the Fast, and CE5.  One out of three...

Edited by Rays98GoVols
    misspelling

10 minutes ago, Rays98GoVols said:

Amazingly even though they are Crealitys best selling Printers, they are printers that Ultimaker seems to think do not Exist.

They might know they exist, they might not, but as the name of the software implies, "Ultimaker Cura", it is primarily geared towards Ultimaker printers. Ultimaker are kind enough to also add support for other brands of printers, but it's not their highest priority to make sure each and every printer from every maker is available, and it's a bit unreasonable to expect it. Now, if there's a bug preventing renaming a printer (an issue that would be independent on what printer you happened to have added), that's a different thing and should of course be looked into.

• Like 1

It is the SAME bug that this Thread is discussing.  Smithy and Nallath said it was FIXED....It is NOT...that's my whole point.

Then please open an issue on GitHub (Cura -> Help - Report Bug) that's  the place where the developers track and work on issues. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rays98GoVols said:

It is the SAME bug that this Thread is discussing.

No it is not. The bug that this thread is discussing caused the renamed printer to revert back after a restart. You have hit a particular case of "known behavior". In your case, you are trying to rename the printer to a name that is already taken up internally, so Cura adds the number (" #2"). You can rename the printer to anything other than the name without the "#2" postfix, and the rename should work.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 9:55 PM, Rays98GoVols said:

Amazingly even though they are Crealitys best selling Printers, they are printers that Ultimaker seems to think do not Exist. 

If only Creality would actually use all that profit from their best selling printers to invest into creating profiles for Cura instead of leaving it up to community members and Ultimaker to fix those problems.

I understand that you are frustrated, but I hope that it's clear to you that we are the wrong people to be frustrated with. If there is a bug in the interface that breaks things for all printers, we will gladly have a look at it. If it's just a third party printer that has weird settings, you will need to contact them instead.

• Like 1