Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

ahoeben

Posted · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin
On 12/10/2020 at 8:30 AM, ahoeben said:

@Hilbe, what OS do you use? The development snapshots linked above do have that issue on Linux (and possibly OSX).

I have tried this plugin on both MacOSX and Win10, and only on Win10 is G2/G3 code generated.

12 hours ago, PricklyPear said:

I have tried this plugin on both MacOSX and Win10

Did you try the version from the Marketplace, or the development snapshot I posted in this thread?

If the Marketplace version does not work on OSX, could you please share your cura.log?

Posted (edited) · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

i Have Instal this Plugin, but no seeing in Cura. No Funktion. Who is it? i cant find it in CURA to aktivate, only in Plugins and i have it Install .Cura Version  4.8.0, win 7image.png.86ed0d7b0860b1c2b404ac54c45171b4.pngimage.png.81a20a754824fe84c1967e6f51a73560.png

Edited by macmaddog
    forgotten Cura version

4 hours ago, macmaddog said:

i Have Instal this Plugin, but no seeing in Cura.

On top of the settings, there is a search field. Do you see the settings if you type "Arc" there?

Thanks a lot for this nice plugin :-) I have a delta printer and this feature was deseperatly missing in Cura !

I noticed a small bug if there are some unicode symbols in some comments (° in my case), the plugin failed to save the file with the following error :

Unable to write to file pied piano: 'ascii' codec can't encode character '\xb0' in position 43211162: ordinal not in range(12
    8)

Removing the caracter solved the issue, so nothing critical, but it'd been nice to allow unicode comments anyway

1 hour ago, aleph34 said:

if there are some unicode symbols in some comments

Thanks for reporting. Fixed here:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-ArcWelderPlugin/commit/2edee70f07aa493737bd5dff2ab5567ec167fd33

On 12/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, PricklyPear said:

MacOSX 10.15.7

I'm adding more logging to the plugin, so it will be easier to diagnose the reason why the plugin is not working.

Can I ask you to test a development snapshot?

Search was  the first thing  I do. There is noting showing .image.thumb.png.ec8be629e5e7dac83c358a81f259726f.png

@macmaddog, have you checked that ArcWelder is installed in "Marketplace"? And that the tickbox is marked?

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.06.54 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.08.07 am.png

On 12/30/2020 at 2:48 AM, ahoeben said:

I'm adding more logging to the plugin, so it will be easier to diagnose the reason why the plugin is not working.

Can I ask you to test a development snapshot?

Yes, I would like to test a development snapshot. 

Where do I find the development snapshot? I have looked on GitHub but can't see anything.

7 hours ago, PricklyPear said:

Yes, I would like to test a development snapshot.

I'll let you know when I make one, but that may not be until next year...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, macmaddog said:

There is noting showing .

Hmm, strange. Can you post a link to your Cura.log file?

@PricklyPear

yes , all checked and visitiliby. No ARC welder in menu.

I use Cura in german language, il test in english. perhabs.

ARC_1.JPG

ARC_2_visibility.JPG

@PricklyPear

Testet to cange  the language from german to english. no plugin arrival

Edited by macmaddog

11 hours ago, macmaddog said:

yes , all checked and visitiliby. No ARC welder in menu.

Hmm, strange. Can you please post a link to your Cura.log file?

Hi, there is no G2/G3 in the gcode (and no reduction in gcode size) using the Marketplace version of the plugin on Cura 4.8.0, OS-X Big Sur 1.2 Beta (20D5029f).  I checked that ~/Library/Application Support/cura/4.8/plugins/ArcWelderPlugin/bin/osx/ArcWelder is 'chmod +x' and I can execute it from Terminal.

Also tried the dev version posted in an earlier comment (ArcWelderPlugin-v7.0.0-2020-11-30T10-46-32Z.curapackage), no difference (except I had to chmod+x the binary).

Attached 'tail' from cura.log during a slice--don't see anything in the log about Arc Welder other than the arc_welder settings being passed to CuraEngine.  Am I missing something?

I tried various settings including reducing 'Resolution' and disabling the Min Arc Segments (since I have Marlin 2.0), but no difference.

FWIW, the OctoPrint plugin works (proving the original gcode isn't faulty).

cura-arcwelder.log

Here's my full cura.log, not just a snippet.

cura.log

@davispw and @PricklyPear, here is a new development snapshot for you to try. I don't think it directly fixes your problem, but at least it should show more details about what is going wrong in the logs (so if you try it, a new Cura.log is appreciated).

@macmaddog, I really cannot help you without your log files. You can find cura.log via the Help -> Show configuration folder... menu-item.

Thank you, @ahoeben, for developing this plugin.

I installed the latest development snapshot (v7.0.0-2021-01-05T11-45-39Z) and ran through a couple of stl files with ArcWelder activated. I was able to slice the files but when I tried to save the generated gcode, I received an error:

Exception: Unable to write to file Test prints for ArcWelder-Snake: Command '[<<snip>>]' returned non-zero exit status -11

So, no gcode file was available to review and I could not check if G2/G3 code was generated.

With ArcWelder option unchecked, normal gcode files were generated and the file could be saved.

AWplugin v7 cura.log

The processing does not happen until just before the gcode is saved to disk or printed. The plugin does not affect the actual slicing (which is also why the effect of the plugin will not be visible in the layerview).

The ArcWelder command returning an exit status of -11 means it encountered a "Segmentation vault" ("it crashed"). Hmm, I have no idea why it would crash. Let's see if pinging @FormerLurker works.

> Let's see if pinging @FormerLurker works.

It always does 🙂

> The ArcWelder command returning an exit status of -11 means it encountered a "Segmentation vault"

I've actually never received a segfault report for ArcWelder before.  However, I see in the log this is being generated from OSX, and I've never run on that OS before (I don't have access to it at all).  However, perhaps it could be executed from the command line with the following parameter:

--log-level=DEBUG

That should give me an idea where it is crashing at least.  The console output would need to be saved (how does one do output redirection in OSX?) and posted somewhere I can see it.

• Like 1

@PricklyPear could try disabling the ArcWelder setting in Cura to save a gcode file, and then manually launch the ArcWelder command from a terminal and copy/paste the output here:

/Users/iMac2011/Library/Application Support/cura/4.8/plugins/ArcWelderPlugin/ArcWelderPlugin/bin/osx/ArcWelder --log-level=DEBUG -m=1000000 -t=0.01 -r=0.05 -s=1.0 -a=12 path/to/file.gcode

Obviously, the path/to/file.gcode part should be replaced by a (relative or absolute) path to the saved gcode file.

Edited by ahoeben

@ahoeben and @FormerLurker, I have run the code through the terminal, as suggested, but I don't see any output file.

I had to modify the code slightly (added a "\" to remove space in the file path and I added an output file path):

/Users/iMac2011/Library/Application\ Support/cura/4.8/plugins/ArcWelderPlugin/ArcWelderPlugin/bin/osx/ArcWelder --log-level=DEBUG -m=1000000 -t=0.01 -r=0.05 -s=1.0 -a=12 /Users/iMac2011/Google\ Drive/3D\ printing\ stuff/Test\ Prints/ArcWelder-Snake.gcode /Users/iMac2011/Google\ Drive/3D\ printing\ stuff/Test\ Prints/AW-ArcWelder-Snake.gcode

The code seem to run without problem but the output was not generated. The terminal output is this:

Last login: Thu Jan  7 09:10:41 on ttys000
    iMac2011@Scoble-Hansens-iMac ~ % /Users/iMac2011/Library/Application\ Support/cura/4.8/plugins/ArcWelderPlugin/ArcWelderPlugin/bin/osx/ArcWelder --log-level=DEBUG -m=1000000 -t=0.01 -r=0.05 -s=1.0 -a=12 /Users/iMac2011/Google\ Drive/3D\ printing\ stuff/Test\ Prints/ArcWelder-Snake.gcode /Users/iMac2011/Google\ Drive/3D\ printing\ stuff/Test\ Prints/AW-ArcWelder-Snake.gcode
    2021-01-07 09:10:56.001 - arc_welder.gcode_conversion - INFO - Processing Gcode
    	Source File Path             : /Users/iMac2011/Google Drive/3D printing stuff/Test Prints/ArcWelder-Snake.gcode
    	Target File File             : /Users/iMac2011/Google Drive/3D printing stuff/Test Prints/AW-ArcWelder-Snake.gcode
    	Resolution                   : 0.0500mm (+-0.02500mm)
    	Path Tolerance               : 1.000%
    	Maximum Arc Radius           : 1000000mm
    	Min Arc Segments             : 12
    	MM Per Arc Segment           : 1.000
    	Allow Z-Axis Changes         : False
    	G90/G91 Influences Extruder  : False
    	Log Level                    : DEBUG
    	Hide Progress Updates        : False
    zsh: segmentation fault   --log-level=DEBUG -m=1000000 -t=0.01 -r=0.05 -s=1.0 -a=12  
    iMac2011@Scoble-Hansens-iMac ~ % 

The terminal did not display any debug info (maybe "segmentation fault"?) and I couldn't find the log file. If it exists, where do I find it? I looked near the ArcWelder plugin location.

• Like 1

I have created a new development snapshot which includes an OS X executable of the ArcWelder console application that I manually built on an OS X 10.12 virtual machine and which seems to work there.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2