Bug in firmware Cura 13.12

SandervG

Posted · Bug in firmware Cura 13.12

There seems to be a bug in the latest version of Cura's firmware.

Cura 13.12

When aborting a print, the Ultimaker retracts filament but neglects to actually push it back again (prime).

This will result in your next prints to start with an empty print head, and it will not be able to extrude anything.

The best workaround would be to

1; not abort a print.

If that turns out to be necessary you can also abort a print and

go to maintenance > move material, and rotate the button clockwise to extrude the material. Once you see material being extruded you can stop and select a new print.

Estimated is that January 2nd this bug will be fixed, but for the time being this would be the best way to approach this bug.

Thank you for understanding!

Hi Sander

I'm a bit confused... :wacko:

Could you please give some more details which printers are affected? UM Original and/or UM2? Direct print via USB or from SD Card? Is the bug actually in Cura or Marlin?

Yes, the bug affects the 13.12 Marlin Firmware for the Ultimaker 2 - that shipped with, and can be installed from Cura v13.12.

The issue is that when you 'abort' a print from the built-in control panel, too much retraction happens.

This happened to me as well (UM2)But only once I downloaded the new version and installed it and had to abort a print and the filament retracted and stopped the next time and the next two it all worked correctly so at the moment no problems

Ray

Once a print is underway, and the firmware's planning buffer is filled up, the firmware gets two chances to check the status of the LCD control panel every time through the main loop of the program. On one of those two attempts, abort will work correctly. On the other it won't. So, it mostly depends on when you press the button, and which version of the code gets run.

Problem has been found&fixed, with many thanks to Illuminarti. I'll have an update out soon.

What about when it retracts filament (printing PLA) and then (becaues of the slicer) moves around the perimeter reaching the next print area (#1 why cant it just go there, why does it have to follow the perimeter ?) and ends up being DRY and prints nothing for couple of inches ?

I lowered default retraction to half on all distance and speed, still many places of my model (because of the distance nozzle would travel) end up being empty.

I didnt have that problem with ABS. Same settings were used (default settings). Only thing i change when i setup CURA for print would be nozzle diameter, filament diameter and layer height/shell thickness and top-bottom.

So 2 questions.

#1 Should i turn off retract at all while ising PLA ?

#2 Why does slicer makes nozzle to travel so much around the perimeter instead of going accross ?

(Last unrelated question since i am new here)

Why no option to attach picture or a file ? I want to share my model for CURA users to see for them selves tha generated code would make the nozzle travel allot instead of going straight accross to the print area, causing it to wipe off and potentially pull by drag filament from the nozzle.

Thanks a lot !

Once you get to 5 posts (I think it is) you can use the gallery feature to upload images, and then use the 'My Media' button to embed them in posts.

The issue you describe with the head being empty isn't a firmware issue, but a 'feature' of the Cura slicer. The simple fix is to turn off 'enable combing' in the expert settings. Combing is what keeps the move within the body of the shape, rather than going direct. That is generally a good thing, as it avoids damaging the outer surface by passing over it again, or dragging strings across it. The downside however, is that it also turns off retractions for those moves, causing exactly the effect you saw.

Had no idea that feature would be enabled by default.

Its all good but not for PLA.

ABS did not have any issues printing stock settings but PLA is a pain in the butt.

Shouldnt it be the other way around ? LOL

Beaufitull !

I dissabled combing as you suggested and problem went away.

It must have been enabled when i went from expert mode to eazy, changed to PLA and went back to expert mode.

Learn something new every day :-P

I'm using Cura 15.02.1 installed today and I seem to have this retract on abort issue on my UM2!

Today is the first time I have aborted a print, so can't comment on previous versions. I'm sure all print settings are at their default except for wall thickness and print speeds etc.

Ditto that, i've got 15.02.1 and the abort retract drives me crazy.

Its not only there, but if you pause a print and change the filament, after the filament starts to come out you verify it w/the control panel, and then it retracts again. So when you unpause your print it will print about 1-2 layers with nothing coming out (depending on the size of your print of course). The pause menu needs the move material option added.

weird, 15.02.1 here, i have the same issue with aborted prints retracting and not fully priming too but I've had no problems changing filament in the middle of a print. if anything, it usually pumps out a bonus glob. Would be nice to have a material move setting off the pause menu tho, totally agree.

weird, 15.02.1 here, i have the same issue with aborted prints retracting and not fully priming too but I've had no problems changing filament in the middle of a print.  if anything, it usually pumps out a bonus glob.  Would be nice to have a material move setting off the pause menu tho, totally agree.

I found a work around today that works well, instead of confirming on the control panel when the material flows (confirming causes the retract), instead select "cancel". This just stops the forward movement of the filament and doesn't cause a retract. I then wait for the majority of the material to flow out, when its greatly reduced or stopped, I resume the print. Worked great today, see below:

5a330e985c55c_2015-06-1121_57_12.thumb.jpg.8a330a372c7cfc436ec52b34a1e5cb5e.jpg

5a330e985c55c_2015-06-1121_57_12.thumb.jpg.8a330a372c7cfc436ec52b34a1e5cb5e.jpg

• Like 1