IS it possible to create a customized non vertical supports?

adi_s

Posted · IS it possible to create a customized non vertical supports?

Hi all,

Is it possible to add customized non vertical supports?

When importing tree supports created by Meshmixer and selecting "Mesh type: Print as support", or  rotating a support created with the plugins "custom support" or "cylindric custom support" I'm getting in Cura unnecessary supports underneath it.

Disabling a support, or choosing overhang angle:90 doesn't help.

I would appreciate any help.

meshmixer.jpg

cylindric custom support.jpg

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for suggestions how to print this model. I created it as a simple demonstrate to the problem.

Turn off support.  If you turn it off properly and reslice all the teal colored stuff will go away.

When importing a second mesh as support (I've never tried this - I usually combine them into the same model) do not print that as support - print that as either using extruder 1 or if you have a dual extruder and you have a support material on the second extruder (like PVA or breakaway or PLA when pringing petg) then have the second extruder print the support mesh.

turn off support.

By the way that first photo with that tree support created with meshmixer - I've used meshmixer to do that but I always tweak a few things.  That support has a high probability of coming loose so I'd have at least 2 connections to the print bed and I'd make sure the tree supports touch the exact outer corners and I'd probably make it thicker as well - looks like 3 or 4mm in diameter.  Try 8mm in diameter with 3 pads to keep it more steady.

Thanks, but as I wrote I turned off support and it didn't help. I even tried to turn it specifically to the support object.

When combining them to the same model image.png.8dfb42ae6511a2af112bfa707944900d.png

I have 1 extruder.

Thanks, created this model and tree support in Mesh mixer just to demonstrate the problem.

I know you wrote that but I didn't understand as many of your photos showed the teal support.  So you need to be more clear.  Are you trying to tell me that in the photos above with the teal support you had support off?  That doesn't seem possible.  Please save your project file and post here.  Do "File" "Save..." and post the resulting file.  It will contain your models and placement and your machine settings and your profile and all your overrides and so on.

I often design custom supports in CAD, as part of the model, and then turn the slicer-support off, like gr5 said. Then you have full control. General supports are great for general items. But special models may require special custom solutions. Yes, custom designing them may take quite some time, but you win that back when it prints well and does require less post-processing.

For example, see the pink and orange supports in the first pic. This model is too small to get in with a knife or plier to remove standard supports. Now I can easily grab them and wiggle them loose.

And see the free-hanging supports in the other pics, which consume very few material, are easy to remove, and do not damage underlying surfaces.

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg

clamp1.thumb.jpg.376227acc930e40f6de8d3919b3f0a7f.jpg

supporttest12b.thumb.png.504e11c4d360abd18960d889c271f2a4.png

overhangtest11e.thumb.jpg.1f92bf0e3eb064e1d9edbdf9edd16b3c.jpg

AG_sup test1 - 2.3mfAG_sup test1 - 2.3mf

Thanks, I have attached both files. Yes in both cases the support were off.

It seems disabling/enabling the support affects only the printed object and not the support object.

I moved them apart so it would be easier to see

image.png.0f98bee73fc918f88c469809e9fa71bd.png

Support off:

image.thumb.png.6d95c8f4d1d2f07d4f70f2896504a5b0.png

support on:

image.thumb.png.6bc98b565397051ca6e1a27dea053fe1.png

image.png

Could you please post the project file?  With it in the state of the last picture.  Do "file" "save...".  That way I get your machine settings, profile settings, everything.

Posted (edited) · IS it possible to create a customized non vertical supports?

geert_2

Thanks, Are you printing the supports with the same settings as the part?

In this way, when modeling a high tree support it use a lot more material and it is harder to remove the supports.

Edited by adi_s

gr5, I attached the 2 3mf files to my previous reply, it didn't work?

The 3mf files that I uploaded aren't the correct one I will send again

Oh!  I opened them in Cura 4.7.  If I open them in Cura 4.8 they open fine...

I'm a little distracted - watching a webinar at the same time...

So don't tell cura to "print as support".  Instead just tell it to print normal as shown below.  Also for some reason the 3mf file doesn't have the "tree shaped" support but somehow it got simplified into a hull shape.

887284644_Screenshotfrom2021-01-2711-24-39.thumb.png.41482aee92e5bb9177073e069a8e1109.png

Please confirm that you just have one extruder.  If you want to print the support tree with the second extruder you want to assign that model to extruder 2.

The problem with your meshmixer supports is that by default Cura "projects" the top of support meshes to the buildplate. Try adding the "Drop Down Support Mesh" setting to the meshmixer supports (in the Per Model Settings) and unchecking it.

It seems the problem with the 3mf files that I attached previously was caused by a bug in Cura.

It can be replicated -

1. Import "sup test1-mesh mixer.stl"

2. Extensions>Mesh tools>split model

3. Select the tree and turn it into "Mesh type print as support".

4. Save the 3mf file.

5. Load the 3mf file - The loaded objects aren't in the same position as before, the support isn't under the object.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

bug - tree support test1-mesh mixer.3mf sup test1-mesh mixer.stl

10 minutes ago, adi_s said:

Select the tree and turn it into "Mesh type print as support".

So forgetting about saving and loading project files - this is the step I think that caused you problems.  Keeping it as a regular model will have it print perfectly.

22 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The problem with your meshmixer supports is that by default Cura "projects" the top of support meshes to the buildplate. Try adding the "Drop Down Support Mesh" setting to the meshmixer supports (in the Per Model Settings) and unchecking it.

27 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Please confirm that you just have one extruder.  If you want to print the support tree with the second extruder you want to assign that model to extruder 2.

29 minutes ago, gr5 said:
    29 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I have one extruder and rechecked it in the settings.

30 minutes ago, gr5 said:

So don't tell cura to "print as support".  Instead just tell it to print normal as shown below.  Also for some reason the 3mf file doesn't have the "tree shaped" support but somehow it got simplified into a hull shape.

I sent the wrong file, it was another test.

If I print the tree as a regular object and not as a support, how do I get the support Z distance?

26 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Thanks, have just tried it and Cura parsed only the bottom of the support object.

image.thumb.png.a6cf50a855354d4b851fc8d9717dccff.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, gr5 said:

So forgetting about saving and loading project files - this is the step I think that caused you problems.  Keeping it as a regular model will have it print perfectly.

How to set the "support Z distance" if both objects are regular?

Unless there are some settings that I missed, there are 2 bugs:

1. Cura adds supports to a support object even when "generate support" is off.

2. Objects change location when saving and reloading..

The tilted cylinder was defined as support. I want it to be printed as support and to not add any more supports.

(I know it can't be printed well, modeled it just to demonstrate the problem I encountered).

Is this what "drop down support mesh" intend to do?

I'm using Cura 4.8, is it better in previous versions?

when it is off Cura slice only the part above the cylinder base.

image.thumb.png.7421f08211dac567df7b40fd41a73d67.png

When it is on, Cura adds unnecessary support underneath the cylinder

image.thumb.png.4dd3987f71c35dbfc2d9f35653077b38.png