Temperature tower

dbvanhorn

Posted · Temperature tower

I'm new to Cura.

I thought I would run a temperature tower, and I got that to print, but it never changes temperature.

Do I have to put in the temperature commands in the Gcode?

If so, how do I know where (which layer) to put them in?

I just learned how to do this. In Cura up on the menu click Extensions, Post-Processing, Modify G-code. Add a ChangeAtZ script. Specify Trigger for which layer in the slice you want to change temp. Check Change Extruder 1 Temp and type what temp you want. Always add them highest temp at the bottom then lower the temp going up. Then when you slice it again this is added in the gcode. Don't forget to delete them before you print something else. I just did one with Hatchbox PLA from 220 to 180.

Wow.  I did not expect that. 

A pretty kludgey way to do it, especially if it can screw up subsequent prints.

They print the text in the side of the tower..  I guess I should have known this since an STL can't have temp commands encoded, but since it was in a library of cal objects I expected that it was gcode.

I see the limitations now.  But there wasn't even the slightest warning that such was necessary when I pulled in the test object.

I've setup the scripts in the ChangeAtZ (experimental) script. Octoprint is ignoring them however. In fact, Octoprint is ignoring the temp settings from my Cura profile for any of the calibration objects. What am I missing?

Posted (edited) · Temperature tower

I have the same issue with Cura 4.13.1, the temp tower from the Calibration Shapes plugin won't change temperatures as it prints.

I would think the point of using a plugin is that it would do this for you instead of having to mess with code.

Is there any chance that the plugin will be fixed and work on its own?

Edited by jgill79

Posted (edited) · Temperature tower

It works perfect for me. There is a Help entry in the menu for this plugin with comprehensive instructions. There is no need for complaining or "messing with code".

A calibration tool needs two things: A shape and a post script. You are missing the step -->Post Processing ->Modify G-Code. For entries in the script follow the documentation.

This is an example for PETG:

PET-GTempTower.PNG

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 1

I have the same issue with temp tower. I glad it not just me going mad... 

I am not trying ChangeAtZ  instead of the TempFan Tower plugin

"same issue"?  Are you using octoprint? 

Also note that "z hop" settings can confuse these plugins so make sure zhop is disabled.

So one thing i noticed is that the plugin model is not even:

Base = 4 layers ending on layer 4

Block 1 = 36 layers ending on layer 40

Block 2 = 38 layers ending on 78

Block 3 = 39 - there is one extra layer here under the table at 113 ending the table on 117

Block 4 = 38 layers ending on 155

Block 5 =  38 layers ending on 193

with 4 un-needed layers above the table finishing the build at a total of 197

So no mater were you put your offset or starting layer it wont ever 100% line up every Block should be the same. you can put your offset too 2 which would equal a change every 38 layers starting on 40, However with block three having an extra layer it will never come out equal (total)197-4(base)=193(total) 193/5(Blocks) = 38.6 layer per block 0.6(variance) X 5(Blocks) = 3 (total layers off)

This is off by 3 layers. For this to work there would need to be 194 total layers counting the base..

However, even when I run this test print with post processing set up like the video above I get night and day results with no noticeable change in extrusion per block. The video also doesn't tell the viewer what presets should the extruder be put on 0-1mm. He doesn't explain that if you have a direct extruder that even 0.25 change will be drastic compared to other extruder types that will vary from 5mm to 7.5mm. He doesn't state about zhop setting or about relative extrusion setting. I think some of these videos are helpful but if your not explaining all that's needed your just giving the viewer a pass to take 2 steps back and get discouraged. I personally haven't found any good video about retraction towers at all other than this link below that more or less just explains why stringing happens. but there is not one extensive video out there that explains how to configure and calibrate a new real. Anyone can tell you to calibrate your temp, extrusion, flow and speed but If you dont teach the steps in between its pretty useless.

I have two photos both ran with post production extruder tower scripts one started at 0mm and the other started at 1mm with relative extrusion on. there is no step up no change in extrusion at all and both prints are horribly different with a very minimal change of 1mm. how ever on the first print starting at 0mm it was suppose to raise extruder level by 1mm every block and at 5mm there is still the same stringing. When started at 1mm stringing is mostly 99% gone this states to me that the post processing script is not working at all. I can tell the temp tower worked because I can physically watch on the LCD the temp change.

What Am I doing wrong? I cant calibrate flow or speed until this works.

Why is it such a pain to get calibration help from the community without learning how to code... I just want the settings to do what there suppose to do.

20220904_192635.jpg

20220904_192705.jpg

post op settings for above build

Capture.JPG