Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted · Temperature tower

I'm new to Cura.

I thought I would run a temperature tower, and I got that to print, but it never changes temperature.

Do I have to put in the temperature commands in the Gcode?

If so, how do I know where (which layer) to put them in?

I just learned how to do this. In Cura up on the menu click Extensions, Post-Processing, Modify G-code. Add a ChangeAtZ script. Specify Trigger for which layer in the slice you want to change temp. Check Change Extruder 1 Temp and type what temp you want. Always add them highest temp at the bottom then lower the temp going up. Then when you slice it again this is added in the gcode. Don't forget to delete them before you print something else. I just did one with Hatchbox PLA from 220 to 180.

Wow.  I did not expect that. 

A pretty kludgey way to do it, especially if it can screw up subsequent prints.

They print the text in the side of the tower..  I guess I should have known this since an STL can't have temp commands encoded, but since it was in a library of cal objects I expected that it was gcode.

I see the limitations now.  But there wasn't even the slightest warning that such was necessary when I pulled in the test object.

I should say don't forget to delete before slicing. But there is a little hammer and wrench icon that will show up next to the slice button telling you there are Post Processing Scripts active that will be added.