Cura 4.9 will not open

stolz55

Posted · Cura 4.9 will not open

Hello,

I installed the new Cura 4.9 and the installation completed but the program will not open. I get the error message shown in the attached screen capture.

I am using Windows 7 ( I know it is old) and Cura 4.9 did install and open properly on one of my other Win 7 machines, but not on the computer that I need it on.

Also installed on that computer are Cura 15.4,  4.2,  and 4.8 and all of those versions work properly.  I have reasonable computer skills but I do not know anything about Python, so I am hoping that there is an easy fix for this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

cura 4.9 error.JPG

Someone recently had this same error and it was because they already had something else as their X drive?  I guess maybe the installer mounts a temporary X drive as part of the install process and if you already have one then it's a problem.  Maybe.  [correction - not the installer - the runtime of cura checks the x drive for some files but only if x: is mounted]

So usually, in windows, all your hard drives and network drives and CDROM drives, etc have a letter.  Usually the primary drive is "c:".  That's usually where windows itself is stored and that's usually where everything is stored as usually that's the only drive.

But sometimes people have a second hard drive and that is typically the "d:" drive.

And sometimes people have networked drives and those can be any letter you want a-z.

If you go into windows explorer (for example hold down the windows key between ctl and alt keys and press E - that opens up explorer) and then click on "my computer" or "computer" or "This PC" (I forget which versions of windows call it what) then you should see a section called "devices and drives" and all your drives.  If you can't find your "c:" drive then you aren't in the right place within explorer yet - keep looking. 

Is there an X drive listed?  If so that is conflicting with the cura install process.  Maybe you can dismount that drive temporarily - just long enough to install cura.

Thanks- I am familiar with drive letter assignments but I have just never seen one designated as X. 

X does not show up as a drive under "my computer".  I did a little digging and went to CMD DISKPART and then LIST VOL.

This is what I saw:

VOL 0  D   DVD ROM

VOL 1        System Reserved   101MB  System

VOL  2  C                                     186GB  Boot

I don't think so but could the VOL 1 system reserved be the culprit since it has no letter assignment?

(As an aside while you are kind enough to help me, could you also tell me if when you upgrade to a new version of Cura do you have to reinstall all of your plug-ins?)

Also if it helps, I do not get any error messages during the Cura 4.9 installation. It only throws the error message I show above when I go to open the program. I then close the error message and the program does not open.

V 4.8 installs and runs perfectly

Just in case, I also deleted the temporary files on the drive, uninstalled 4.9, then reinstalled it but got the same error.

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.9 will not open
    10 hours ago, gr5 said:

I guess maybe the installer mounts a temporary X drive as part of the install process and if you already have one then it's a problem.

No, that is not the issue at all. The installer is not the problem. The installer does not try to mount any drives.

The problem is that Cura tries to look for its components on X: before looking in the place it was installed to. As I have stated elsewhere, this is due to the buildsystem that Ultimaker uses for Cura development. This is a long-standing issue. Cura 2.x had the same problem with drive D, which is much more common in computers. So they changed the build-system to X: (instead of properly fixing the issue that Cura insists to try to access the drive it was built on).

But accessing the X drive does not seem to be the problem here. Something goes wrong accessing or using a part of Cura that is installed with the application.

Edited by ahoeben

8 hours ago, stolz55 said:

when you upgrade to a new version of Cura do you have to reinstall all of your plug-ins?

Not normally, no. Sometimes a newer version of Cura requires all your plugins to be updated. But not Cura 4.9 vs 4.8.

Pay attention when you are installing the new Cura version though. The installer asks you if you want to uninstall each older version it encounters. If you choose to do so, it will ask you if you also want to remove its configuration data. That configuration data contains your plugins and ALL of your print settings. So you probably DON'T want to remove the configuration data!

Could you download and install DependeciesGUI from here:

https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/releases/tag/v1.10

Then drag C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.9.0\lib\Arcus.pyd onto its window, and post a screenshot of what you get?

depgui.thumb.png.c367072af2d17632b35f9a90c776605d.png

Hopefully that will tell us why that component won't load.

• Like 1

SOLVED!

Thank you ahoeben!  I went to the last link you provided (4855#issuecomment) and installed Microsoft security update KB3126587 as suggested by fbosio at the bottom of that page.

I can't thank you enough for all of your helpful comments and suggestions! (I had already messed with this for hours and I was about to reinstall the entire system and I probably would've ended up in the same place by not having that security patch.)   Also thank you for answering my question about plug-ins.  Your time spent on this and your knowledge are much appreciated - you made my day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stolz55 said:

SOLVED!

Thank you ahoeben!  I went to the last link you provided (4855#issuecomment) and installed Microsoft security update KB3126587 as suggested by fbosio at the bottom of that page.

I can't thank you enough for all of your helpful comments and suggestions! (I had already messed with this for hours and I was about to reinstall the entire system and I probably would've ended up in the same place by not having that security patch.)   Also thank you for answering my question about plug-ins.  Your time spent on this and your knowledge are much appreciated - you made my day.

Next time also check the github issue tracker (and also check the closed issues). Someone else had the exact same issue (and the same fix worked for them as well)

I reinstalled 4.8.0. I couldn't get 4.9.0 to run. Is this going to be updated? My install started up and flashed a blank screen and then exited. I tried renaming it. The name given above does not match the format of the .exe file. Where can I find explicit instructions to get 4.9.0 to install?

7 hours ago, FunGent46 said:

I reinstalled 4.8.0. I couldn't get 4.9.0 to run. Is this going to be updated? My install started up and flashed a blank screen and then exited. I tried renaming it. The name given above does not match the format of the .exe file. Where can I find explicit instructions to get 4.9.0 to install?

Did you try any of the things described above? You didn't provide enough info for us to help you, sorry.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, gr5 said:

Someone recently had this same error and it was because they already had something else as their X drive?  I guess maybe the installer mounts a temporary X drive as part of the install process and if you already have one then it's a problem.  Maybe.  [correction - not the installer - the runtime of cura checks the x drive for some files but only if x: is mounted]

This is what I was seeing as well.  I had to Run-as-Admin until I re-mapped one of my drives from 'X' to a different letter.

KB3126587 did not work for me (had error "The update is not applicable to your computer") so i tried KB2533623 solution.

It turned out that KB2533623 is superseded with KB3063858 https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ik7sp7/does_anybody_have_the_kb2533623_update_for/

which worked for me.

• Like 1