Feature request: Pause

simmonsstummer

Posted · Feature request: Pause

Hi,

is possible to pause a print?

I do not mean to set a pause in the gcode file..

i mean whenever i want during the print to pause (to solve a problem, to change a filament, to unblock the nozzle).

Is it possible to implement this in the tune menù?

Yeah I think it's a stretch to say that the current implementation of pause is a "feature"... more like "ruin your print" setting, due to the oozing and melting that commences as soon as you hit pause. It should instead cause a retraction, cool the nozzle somewhat, and move the head off of the print.

I like moving the XY gantry better because:

1) XY repeatability is generally better than Z repeatability in my experience.

2) Some oozing is inevitable and it would be better if that didn't land on the print.

I have (a few times) aborted a print, figured out where exactly it aborted, removed the start of the gcode, added a G92 to set the extruder position properly and continued a print where it left off. It's a pain though. Only worth while if it will save you at least an hour of printing.

I have (a few times) aborted a print,

Lucky you! I can't even count how many times i aborted a print!

But your way to manage the situation is something that i would like to try..

So you manually edit the gcode file? and how you positioned perfectly the print?(Or you never move it from where it was?)

but it is already there since the last firmware update…??..

in the ulticontroller (UM1) there is a pause added; the head moves to the front-left corner, and you can do whatever you want. Hit the button and it resumes the print.

but it is already there since the last firmware update…??..

in the ulticontroller (UM1) there is a pause added; the head moves to the front-left corner, and you can do whatever you want. Hit the button and it resumes the print.

Lucky us:) still glad with the UM1

Great news - I saw it in the menu but never tried it.... - but I often use the "stop print" feature... :-(

Would be great if the behavior of the stop print would be similar, like move the head up by 0.5mm, to the front/left position, shut down the heater and stop the fans...

Is there a possibility to modify this on the fast way?

Sorry i did not mention i was speaking about Ultimaker 2.

Is there anything similar?

Maybe you should take a look at this post:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3993-imprimer-avec-plusieurs-filaments-mais-un-seul-extrudeur/

It's in french but i think it meets your request?

Pause won't help if it stopped extruding due to a nozzle jam an hour earlier and the printer is printing higher up over thin air. I have to figure out exactly where it ended.

and how you positioned perfectly the print?

Once you remove the print from the bed it's all over. I dont' know how to "glue" it back onto the bed after it's been removed. Although if you did I suppose you could align it very carefully by positioning the head over 2 points in the print and placing the print in the exact right spot. Never tried that.