Ultimaker BreakAway

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker BreakAway

Ultimaker BreakAway is a support material just like PVA, except it does not dissolve in water but is more easily removed than other support materials and therefore requires minimal to no post processing. Have you used BreakAway already? Let us know what you think below in the comments. It might be useful to users who are considering using it. 

Do you have any other questions about Ultimaker BreakAway? Community experts and Ultimaker experts are available to help. Just let us know in the comments below!

• 1 month later...

I"ve used it and I really like it with PLA. leaves a super smooth surface where it meets the pla. It is NOT for parts of the models like screw holes. it is almost impossible to get out. But hwere it is exposed and you can break it off, it's fantastic. 

I do have a question about using Ultimaker Breakaway with PETG. Are there any tricks to this or nozzle temp changes? Can we even use it with PETG? The support materials charts don't even show PETG while some other resellers say it does work. IT seems like it really sticks to PETG. 

IF breakaway is't the answer for PETG then what support material is?

I've used it and I really like it with PLA. It leaves a super smooth surface where it meets the pla. It is NOT for parts of the models like screw holes. it is almost impossible to get out. But where it is exposed and you can break it off, it's fantastic. 

I do have a question about using Ultimaker Breakaway with PETG. Are there any tricks to this or nozzle temp changes? Can we even use it with PETG? The support materials charts don't even show PETG while some other resellers say it does work. IT seems like it really sticks to PETG. 

IF breakaway is't the answer for PETG then what support material is?

What is the ideal drying temp for breakaway that has absorbed some moisture? I have a print dry and need to dry it out. I left it in the material bay of my s5 bundle for like 6 months or more and now the breakaway is bubbling as it comes out of the nozzle.

I dry mine at the same temps I use for PLA.  I haven't seen any issues.

I also use breakaway as rafting material for nylon/CF.  I'd moved away from rafts, but in this case I find it greatly reduces warping and allows me to get a pretty decent finish on the underside when I don't want a shiny glass look.

• Like 1

@kayakbabe:

PETG works pretty well with Breakaway as well. In addition, for PETG you can use PVA as well as Breakaway (at least for Ultimaker PETG it does....)

For drying, as Breakaway is a blend of PLA and TPU, it is somewhat moisture sensitive. Drying is recommended with similar temperatures as PLA ~50C, as @JohnInOttawa is indicating already.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

yes knowing to dry it like PLA at 50C helps greatly! And I found out someone here decided to alter indoor temperatures at night to "save" money without telling anyone else. I've spent a lot more money than we've saved with ruined prints. GRRRRR. Anyway, I have gotten that stopped and now that the ambient room temp is staying constant the moisture in the filaments is behaving rationally again. Still, I am now drying the Breakaway due to excessive humidity in our area the last few months. I don't need a lot of breakaway, but it really is wonderful when you can use it instead of PVA. 

• Like 1

Once I have used a roll of Breakaway for several prints I constantly have issues with under-extrusion.  I'll get through several print jobs that come out perfect and then one day it just goes bad.  I might get a few good layers before it starts to under-extrude, eventually giving an "Out of material" message on my 5S.  I have a Print Dryer and have dried the roll overnight at 60 Deg C.  Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.  PVA is even a bigger hassle.  I don't think it is the Print Core or feeder, at least with the Breakaway, because ABS and PLA print fine out both Extruder 1 and 2.  I  don't have a Material Station, so I'm not sure if the updated feeder would make a difference.  I always store my materials in sturdy zip lock bags with a few desiccant packets whenever I'm not actually printing and as I've stated above, I've tried drying the material.  Anyone have any tips?  Most of my prints require support material and I really don't want to have to throw away 3/4 of a roll of material due to failed prints.  Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, stravanator said:

Once I have used a roll of Breakaway for several prints I constantly have issues with under-extrusion.  I'll get through several print jobs that come out perfect and then one day it just goes bad.  I might get a few good layers before it starts to under-extrude, eventually giving an "Out of material" message on my 5S.  I have a Print Dryer and have dried the roll overnight at 60 Deg C.  Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.  PVA is even a bigger hassle.  I don't think it is the Print Core or feeder, at least with the Breakaway, because ABS and PLA print fine out both Extruder 1 and 2.  I  don't have a Material Station, so I'm not sure if the updated feeder would make a difference.  I always store my materials in sturdy zip lock bags with a few desiccant packets whenever I'm not actually printing and as I've stated above, I've tried drying the material.  Anyone have any tips?  Most of my prints require support material and I really don't want to have to throw away 3/4 of a roll of material due to failed prints.  Thanks in advance.

What temp you printing break away at? i find i need to print it higher than the preset temps for it. I also find the printcore needs a clean out more often than if using PLA and other filaments to keep a good flow rate

5 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

What temp you printing break away at? i find i need to print it higher than the preset temps for it. I also find the printcore needs a clean out more often than if using PLA and other filaments to keep a good flow rate

I have been using the default setting.  What temperature are you using? I'll give the print cores a good cleaning too.

Thanks!

When you say "a good cleaning" hopefully you mean "several cold pulls" which you can do from the menu.

6 hours ago, stravanator said:

I have been using the default setting.  What temperature are you using? I'll give the print cores a good cleaning too.

Thanks!

I'm up at the 230-235 range for 0.15 layers, i find with break away cold pull's once start to see a problem normal helps, seems like a thin coating builds up on the inside the print core and starts to limit the flow more often then say PLA does.

Thanks Carla! That did the trick.  After a couple cold pulls for cleaning, I increased the print temperature up to 230 and it printed beautifully.

I was an ardent breakaway user but recently have switched to HIPS.  I print mostly in ABS and ASA (more ASA lately than ABS).  HIPS likes 90C-100C build plate temps which, after sealing up the cabinet, gets the print area temp up higher and really helps with warping.
    I've been able to replace many of the parts that I used to machine from aluminum with ASA prints.

Although Breakaway is not really recommended with high temp filaments like Nylon/CF,  I've had very good luck with the raft printing.  Supports however, more mixed.   I was using it as the roof and floor material for supports and got good results with it as the floor, but very poor results when it is the roof. 

It looks to me like the Breakaway roof is melting and fusing into the nylon/CF layer above.  Understandable as the CF is printing much hotter than the maximum Breakaway temp.  My theory is that the floor is OK because by the time the breakaway is laid down, the CF layer beneath has already cooled.

So my dilemma is whether there is a suitable support alternative to breakaway for Nylon/CF.  I have never printed with HIPS but recently brought a roll in.  Would it work? 

Pretty soon I think we will need a triple extruder Ultimaker.

Thanks!

John

• Laugh 1