Ultimaker 3 - Firmware 5.2.18 - Cura 4.11.0 - No Prints possible - Problem - Firmware tilled the Printer

freuleinzapf

Posted · Ultimaker 3 - Firmware 5.2.18 - Cura 4.11.0 - No Prints possible - Problem - Firmware tilled the Printer

hello,
today i installed the new firmware and the new cura (mac).
big problems now. can´t print anymore.
always shows: print failed - and makes restart.
is there any other way than to restore the printer via sd card?
thanks and best regards

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker 3 - Firmware 5.2.18 - Cura 4.11.0 - No Prints possible - Problem - Firmware tilled the Printer

If I understand you: every time you power on the printer it goes to the same screen and the only way to escape that screen is to reboot the printer.  Do I have that correct?

@robinmdh might be able to help you if you are comfortable with ssh.  Have you used ssh many times?  Do you know the Linux command line pretty well?  It sounds like some state variable is in an unexpected state. 

But really the easiest and fastest way to recovery is probably using uSD card.  google "unbricking UM3 site:ultimaker.com".

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 - Firmware 5.2.18 - Cura 4.11.0 - No Prints possible - Problem - Firmware tilled the Printer

An update to 5.3.0 is on the way, while That wouldn't fix anything related to printing it does fix WiFi and Digital factory connectivity.

you should actually be able to click trough all the "print failed messages" tedious as that will likely be.

if you can navigate the menu you could try a factory-reset, this should delete the database that keeps track of past prints. At some point in the distant past we introduced a feature to prevent the print from starting if you power-cycled your printer mid-print. This however does mean that is you had a lot of those unfinished prints in the database from before the feature that you get stuck, we did fix that but I'm not sure if that fix made it to the UM3, I thought it did, but....

If you had developer mode on you could log in via ssh and delete /var/lib/griffin/history.db.

Edited by robinmdh
The right version number, also it's live now...

On 10/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, robinmdh said:

An update to 5.3.0 is on the way, while That wouldn't fix anything related to printing it does fix WiFi and Digital factory connectivity.

you should actually be able to click trough all the "print failed messages" tedious as that will likely be.

if you can navigate the menu you could try a factory-reset, this should delete the database that keeps track of past prints. At some point in the distant past we introduced a feature to prevent the print from starting if you power-cycled your printer mid-print. This however does mean that is you had a lot of those unfinished prints in the database from before the feature that you get stuck, we did fix that but I'm not sure if that fix made it to the UM3, I thought it did, but....

If you had developer mode on you could log in via ssh and delete /var/lib/griffin/history.db.

Thanks a lot for your Tipps.
    5.3.0 is now installed. But same Errors. Did not start to Print - just displays: Print failed - and makes an automatic Restart.
    I have made also a factory reset. Nothing changes.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, gr5 said:

If I understand you: every time you power on the printer it goes to the same screen and the only way to escape that screen is to reboot the printer.  Do I have that correct?

@robinmdh might be able to help you if you are comfortable with ssh.  Have you used ssh many times?  Do you know the Linux command line pretty well?  It sounds like some state variable is in an unexpected state. 

But really the easiest and fastest way to recovery is probably using uSD card.  google "unbricking UM3 site:ultimaker.com".

Thank you for your reply.
    When i start a Print - the Ulti shows: Print failed on the Display an makes an automatic restart.
    I am not really conform with SSH. So i think i have to try it with an SD Card. Is there something I can do wrong by trying this way?
    Best regards.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 - Firmware 5.2.18 - Cura 4.11.0 - No Prints possible - Problem - Firmware tilled the Printer

So here is exactly what happens when I am starting a print (firmware 5.3.0 installed now):

Heating the Bed
    Heating the Printcores - while try to heating them up - the printer shuts down - restarts with the message: Print failed. It doesn't matter if I print with Printcore 1 or 2 - the same problem occurs.

This happens after I have installed the firmware 5.2.18 and the Cura Version 4.11
    Remains also with firmware 5.3.0 and a downgrade to Cura 4.10

Before this updates the printer always prints without any problems.
    I am not confirm with SSH and i am little afraid to restore the printer with an uSD Card.
    Happy about any ideas what happend to the printer.
    Thanks.

Edited by freuleinzapf

I have the same problem as Freuleinzapf. I changed to the previous firmware to uSD, but it has not been resolved. Is there a solution?

@freuleinzapf @sghong I'm very surprised to hear about your problems as I'm not aware of any changes we made in the print starting routines.
    Could you try for me:

1. Downgrading to 5.2.16 and tell if the problem still exists?
      This is easy to do from the menu as 5.2.16 is still available for download. Go on the printer to the software install menu, select the 'testing' version and there you can select 5.2.16 to install.
      Please report the results here in the forum
    2. When the problem still exists after downgrading to 5.2.16, could you dump the log files to usb stick? This is on the printer in the menu system/diagnostics.
      The files you can email to me through this forum: select my avatar, and then on top of my screen there is a 'message' button.

I solved the problem by replacing the power adapter. Currently, the firmware has been upgraded to the latest version(5.3.0).